Reviews for Man Or Monster?
someonesmomma chapter 8 . 3/27
I don't usually read in the Lois & Clark fandom, but watched the show when it was on, and just loved it. Now after having seen Smallville as well there are definitely aspects of Dean Cain's portrayal of Superman that I prefer to Tom Welling's (although I did enjoy Smalville too). Cain's chemistry with Teri Hatcher was just the best! You have captured these two characters so very well and this is probably one of my most favorite fan fiction stories ever! You are an excellent writer!

I think I have now read this story through four times and certain parts still give me the shivers.

This passage stole my breath away:
"His heart sank at the sight of flames engulfing the entire engine room, stretching outward to encompass most of belowdecks, adding further stress to a hull that was already disintegrating. For a moment, he felt the familiar panic with his own frailties and limitations, the gaps in his knowledge and the very real knowledge of his own weakness, the things he couldn’t do and the burden of all that depended on him. For a moment, he felt the familiar urge to curl up into a tight ball and shut out the jagged, harsh, painful pleas for help, to go back to his apartment in Metropolis or his parents’ farmhouse in Smallville and pretend, for just an hour, a day, a week, that he didn’t hold such breathtaking, soul-crushing responsibility on his shoulders.

And then, as he always did, he fought off the cowardice, fought off the exhaustion, focused his every ounce of attention on the emergency before him – and he became Superman." Just genius!

I also never seem to make it through the last two chapters without bawling at some point. Well done!

And this is getting really long, but before reading this (and some of your other works) I had never before considered what it meant to Clark to have two identities. I found the discussion of Clark vs. Superman . . . of who Clark really thinks of himself as very enlightening and thought-provoking. I hope you decide to write some more for these characters . . .I'll read it!
someonesmomma chapter 2 . 3/10
This chapter is just beautiful. I think it captures the conflict between Clark as Clark and Clark as Superman so very well. I think my favorite lines are:

"And then, as he always did, he fought off the cowardice, fought off the exhaustion, focused his every ounce of attention on the emergency before him - and he became Superman."

and,

"Nothing save debilitating guilt and agonizing fear and familiar despair over the fragility of everyone around him and his own inability to ever, ever be enough.

"And then. . . so quietly he would have fear he imagined it save that he could intimately hear the respiratory system starting back up, could hear blood beginning to move so sluggishly through the tiny heart, the boy breathed, moved, tried to open fluttering eyes.

"For an instant, Clark felt his every muscle turn liquid as the wave around him. . . but he was still superman, and so he straightened, and he shifted his shoulders to better settle the burden atop them and he hid all his pain and fear and overwhelming relief and he surveyed the orderly pandemonium filling this patch of ocean."

For some reason, before your story, I had never really thought about the fact of Clark's super hearing. . . that Clark would be able to hear heartbeats or the screams, whispers, or whimpers of those he saved and - wow! I find this to be a powerful idea. Love the story!
Blueowl chapter 8 . 12/17/2014
Enjoyed the story _
Thanks for sharing it.
Guest chapter 8 . 7/15/2014
Awesome!
Supernurse chapter 8 . 6/14/2014
Riveting story. Coherent & plausible in the Lois & Clark universe. Your psychological presentation of 2 wounded souls finally finding themselves & each other is masterful. The evolution of trust in each other is so well done. I can truly say, bravo. This is a very well written fiction.
Nell Lime chapter 8 . 6/12/2014
Quite enjoyed.
RhyannD chapter 8 . 6/11/2014
blissful sigh
JamesTKent chapter 8 . 6/11/2014
I just read this all of a piece, and it was an incredible roller coaster - painful, nauseating, joyous and downright wonderful. Far better than the show was, frankly.

Thank you so very much!
Guest chapter 8 . 6/11/2014
Awesome! Very well done throughout!
Guest chapter 6 . 6/8/2014
Great stuff! Can't wait for more!
Supernurse chapter 6 . 6/6/2014
Again, another exquisitely written chapter. Please continue writing & I can't wait for the next chapter.
Sue chapter 6 . 6/5/2014
I LOVE this story. Heart wrenching. Can't wait for more!
RhyannD chapter 6 . 6/5/2014
I hate you. I truly do. I normally refuse to read a story until it is complete because I am a cursedly fast reader. You are making me manic with this one; Your writing is so very elegant. You capture Clark's humanity and weakness and hopes and fears so hauntingly brilliantly. It also manages to be, oddly, crushingly romantic for all the angst.

You are by far one of my favorite authors of all time-fan-fiction or just plain fiction. I am SO happy to see you back here to Lois & Clark, because I don't think anyone else does them quite so well. Like the real author who writes fan-fic for Supernatural (under a pen-name of course) I hope when you have sold your tenth NY Times Bestseller you still come back to L&C once in awhile.

I came for some 'comfort food for the soul,' in need of a re-read of "And Then There Was Light,' and saw this brand new posting near the first day it was up. It is KILLING me to get it in installments. I cannot wait to see how you resolve it.
Supernurse chapter 5 . 6/2/2014
Wonderful chapter. The way you emote Clark's feelings and fears is terrific. Now bring him back from the abyss, to let him heal slowly.

I hope Clark doesn't throw his life away. You proved his need to be an ordinary man. Now show he's willing to fight to remain Clark.
Tospringe chapter 5 . 6/2/2014
Oh no Clark, don't you dare.
So, Clark's secret is out then? And he probably won't live to see the consequences. Please let him live to see the consequences. Please.