Reviews for In Vino Veritas
Tysan chapter 1 . 12/28/2014
Brilliant. You just summed up Boromir's character. This is exactly how Boromir's psyche- amplified by wine- would look like. All great stregnth's and grand flaws.

By the end we understand what the noise and song mean to Boromir and he turns away from it for Faramir.
thewildernessyears chapter 1 . 7/5/2014
Echoing the sentiments here, but very nicely written with an even voice. You capture Boromir well. I have such a soft spot for him; he seems a tortured and torn character, and that really plays out here without overstating. An enjoyable read!
Iris chapter 1 . 6/27/2014
icprncss2: Makes sense, I had not thought of that. But on the other hand: Denethor taunted Faramir, before he sent him to hold Osgiliath in the war of the ring, with the fact that Boromir had previously denied the enemy passage over Anduin. He must have been referring to the scene of this story. So the Gondorians might have had the feeling they had something to celebrate even if they had to pay the very high price of almost completely loosing their rearguard to achieve this dubious victory. It was my understanding that "only" the rearguard was lost - those holding the bridge, not all fighters.
NaginiFay chapter 1 . 6/23/2014
And a whopper of a dream it was...
Be3 chapter 1 . 6/22/2014
I liked the style greatly; it is both exact and rich. And this piece is very in character, for both of them; for some reason, it made me think about Porthos and Aramis, though not quite:) Very good work.
icprncss2 chapter 1 . 6/4/2014
Since the dream was mentioned, I'm guessing this is supposed to be Boromir celebrating his "victory" on June 20, 3018. Odd question but who was he celebrating with?

Only 2 others of Boromir's company, Boromir and Faramir (who really can't be counted as a member of Boromir's company because he is the Captain of the Rangers) survived that debacle.

As for it being a victory, far from it. Losing all but yourself and 2 others in your company, the east bank of the river, East Osgiliath, and being forced to destroy the last bridge hardly counts as a victory. From a military stand point it would considered worse than a rout. Not that Boromir ever seemed to acknowledge it as such or take responsibility for it.
EugeniaVictoria chapter 1 . 5/26/2014
Can I just say... wow! You captured Boromir's character perfectly - a tad conceited and self-absorbed but also kind of no-fuss, brave and, most importantly, an affectionate brother. I liked how you touched upon his relationship with Faramir but also his view on war, his men, etc. All in all, a very good read! Thanks for sharing.
Iris chapter 1 . 5/26/2014
Not so many tomorrows because adrenalin junkie Boromir after some hesitation brings himself to listen to his brother's dream, only to take it is a fresh chance to ruthlessly take away from another what he thinks he wishes for himself. The man has good luck, and in the end very bad luck, to have a rather noncompetitive brother. Should have gone on drinking. But maybe he is right that he is not made for peace, and the inevitable happens at Amon Hen. A shame.

Beautiful and thoughtful writing as always; you are doing absolutely splendid characterizations. I liked very much Boromir not liking the pure and perfect singing of the trained minstrels. He is absolutely right.
sailor68 chapter 1 . 5/26/2014
Well, I think we all know about Faramir's dream! Boromir is going to sober up quickly...Excellent story!
sian22 chapter 1 . 5/25/2014
You have so captured them both so well...and their great bond despite their differences.
thanks for this...
annafan chapter 1 . 5/25/2014
As always, your portrayal of the different temperaments and characters of Boromir and Faramir, together with their relationship and love for each other despite their differences, is beautifully done.
Nimrodiel chapter 1 . 5/23/2014
What a beautiful, beautiful story. You are wasted on Lotr fanfiction, but don't stop writing, please.
Guest44 chapter 1 . 5/23/2014
Beautifully written illustrating the different way the brothers deal with the horrors of constant war and the aftermath of battle. You gave great insight into the character of Boromir is very few words, very nicely done.
Freyalyn chapter 1 . 5/23/2014
How heartbreaking. Beautifully written, of course.
EverleighBain chapter 1 . 5/22/2014
Good grief this is excellent. Everything about it is gritty and achingly real. The way you've written Boromir in just this short piece is one of the most genuine portrayals of him I've ever read-the battle-glory and how he revels in the aftermath, in the camaraderie and all the bittersweet trying-to-drown-the-horror... Your whole description of the men's attitudes towards each other and towards their captain is rich and beautiful in its realness. And then of course the wonderfully light-handed juxtaposition of Boromir's different relationship with Faramir, which closed off the piece just beautifully, and just made me ache, because we know that for Boromir, the "one more days" are numbered narrowly...

Very masterfully done!