Reviews for Unsustainable
PenPatronus chapter 20 . 9/9
Lovely. Incredible. So very well done. WOW.
jrrm64 chapter 20 . 7/21
Really great story. I enjoyed every chapter.
holy crap that was awesome!
Lindelas chapter 20 . 5/14
I couldn't put this down and was rather resentful at real life for butting in while I was reading it. I feel like my heart has been through the wringer (in a good way) with all that happened to Steve. I really like how you paced the break-down. It wasn't immediate. It took time, and it was a cruel wearing and tearing until it almost swallowed him, but he was still pushing against it. The times he cried nearly made me cry, and I am somewhat picky about the circumstances that drive my favorite characters to tears. I think this was so well done though. His nervous system had to be a wreck, for one thing, and he was fighting so hard to hold on to himself while the bad guys were doing everything in their power to take him apart completely. It was heartbreaking, truly! And the parts each of the other avengers played in getting him back were all interesting and enjoyable to read. Well done! Thanks for this story!
Mongoosie chapter 20 . 3/5
Your Avengers/CA stories are intense and this was Nicely done, particularly turning Capt America into omega-level Gambit/Phoenix hybrid. If anything your adherence to the MU contractual segregation made me a bit sad (because existence of mutants would have made the ZOMGWTF easy to cover up by SHIELD)
Ani Sparrow chapter 10 . 2/23
Ani Sparrow chapter 7 . 2/23
"Who the hell made you a shrink?"

"I have learned a few things as your assistant."

Okay, so that exchange had me laughing until I cried! Classic! This is a really dark story, but I like exploring the dark side of Steve's psyche.
dom28if chapter 20 . 2/15
Just one word…awesome!
Ms.Madeline chapter 20 . 12/16/2014
This had me 100% enticed the entire time I read it, very interesting plot and good writing. Plus the way you wrote about the science was incredible, you did a really good job handling that.
Olivia52 chapter 1 . 12/16/2014
I could not put this story down. My hubby and kids thought I had been kidnapped. WOW! What a great story. I was captivated from the start and the momentum never let up. Great! An all time favorite!
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 20 . 12/14/2014
The first few chapters established a superb concept, and your subsequent plot more than lived up to expectations, I assure you.
From the beginning, your storyline proved to be a fascinating analysis of what makes Bruce Banner tick as a scientist rather than as the Hulk, his confrontation with Lahey providing him with an interesting chance to reflect on his past failures with the serum as he faces a new nightmarish corruption of his past ambitions, as well as a man who refuses to learn Bruce’s hard-earned lesson that sometimes science shouldn’t try to cross certain boundaries.
With Lahey established as a hypocrite so focused on the perceived future benefits of his work that he’s blinding himself to the horrors he’s inflicting on others in the present, as well as his ‘need’ to answer everything where Bruce has accepted that some things are outside scientific analysis, your re-interpretation of the Leader for the MCU is very well-handled, using his telepathic and intellectual abilities to great effect, with my only flaw being that he and the Hulk never came face-to-face; Hulk might not talk much in this version, but it would have been very satisfying to see the Leader’s intellect being overwhelmed by the Hulk’s brute strength.
On that topic, making the Leader an Avengers-level threat was particularly brilliant; he might be dangerous in the comics, but his personal focus on the Hulk has always fundamentally limited his actions at the same time, here, he clearly proves himself as a very dangerous man with a broad range of potential, neatly setting up a chain of events that nearly provides a group of insane geniuses with what may be Earth’s greatest weapon (Even if I felt they were overstating its value; Steve might have been highly destructive, but if they want something to kill a lot of people surely the atomic bomb is less likely to blow up the user before it reaches the target).
Talking of the Avengers, you do an excellent job of exploring their team dynamics here; they might not be the closest of friends, due to such issues as Tony and Steve butting heads more than once, but moments such as Tony reassuring Bruce about the differences between him and Lahey or Clint temporarily acting as Iron Man in Tony’s stead really show how they work as a team despite their occasional internal conflicts.
While I felt that the Avengers jump too quickly to the idea of Steve ‘manipulating reality’ when telekinesis seemed to cover most of his early demonstrated abilities- even his control of the armour could just be him subconsciously triggering the right circuits by reading Tony’s mind to get a better understanding of how they came together- the idea of him controlling energy made sense, and the exploration of how Steve’s mind was changed made a very chilling exploration of the darker side of the noblest Avenger.
Of course, by contrast, it’s fascinating to see how wrong the villains can be; your take on Superia might BELIEVE that she understands Bruce, but in the end, Bruce never did anything that would obviously put anyone other than himself at risk. If he’d know that the Hulk would be the result of his work, he wouldn’t have done it; AIM would have exposed hundreds to gamma radiation in the hope that just one would walk away, but Bruce never ignores the potential human costs of his experiments. Throughout his time with AIM, Monica and Sterns in particular and the other scientists working with them all adhere to the worst kind of scientific rulebook; they’re so focused on what they WANT to do that they ignore anything that states that they just can’t do it, no matter how often Bruce protests.
Thor’s arrival on the scene was perfectly timed without appearing too ‘deus ex machina’- although it could have been excused even if it had been over the edge, considering his nature- and the plan to use Extremis to stop Steve manages to sound scientifically plausible while still working with everything we know about the relevant drugs; my only regret about the final fight was that we never had a chance to put the Leader against the Hulk directly, even if his final fate was still very satisfying even before your impressive finale as the Avengers face one of their own in a twisted nightmare that nevertheless comes to a dramatically satisfying conclusion.
Keep up the great work!
Cap55 chapter 20 . 10/21/2014
Intense! Great story :D
Alethea 13 chapter 20 . 10/17/2014
Alethea 13 chapter 11 . 10/16/2014
Is Thor even in this story
LISA chapter 20 . 10/9/2014
I love your stories so much. This was defiantly one of my favourites and please keep writing them I love them :)