Reviews for Cold Storage
Ghost of Los Angeles chapter 6 . 11/24
Thou shall not abandon stories
Redrift chapter 6 . 9/22
Damn, this is really badass and I love every bit of it so far. It's really a shame that this is dead.
Axcel chapter 5 . 7/1
Silly Ougra hasn't noticed yet. When you try to convince a human of something, the first thing they say is either "Why should I believe you?" or "Prove it."
QuestionsForSome chapter 5 . 5/23
Is this fic still sticking around? I can't wait for more chapters!
Seraphtor chapter 6 . 4/23
Such a shame this fic is dead. Was enjoying this quite well.
kai chapter 6 . 3/12
very fascinating
QuestionsForSome chapter 6 . 2/24
Is this going to be updated in the near future?
If you want more than adopt the story it's easy
Guest chapter 6 . 11/18/2016
It is a shame this appears to have been abandoned. It appeared an interesting premise and i was keen to see where it led.
Kaylen Cooper chapter 6 . 9/3/2016
Way awesome! I look forward to reading more when you continue. :D
six samurai of dragon order chapter 6 . 8/30/2016
Please update! This story is so good.
Alkeni chapter 6 . 5/20/2016
This is areally fascinating fic concept. I look forward to more!
Holotenty chapter 6 . 3/31/2016
I'm guessing you didn't get a beta, huh? :(

Interesting concept of human-worshiping AIs. I wonder how the AVIDA would have taken to awaken humans, since humans are far from deities. If anything, they should be inferior in everyway to AVIDA due to being asleep for seven centuries.

But then again... AVIDA did have at least some knowledge of human society or something or the sort. I'd imagine that they would understand the history of humanity just as they are, maybe. Then again, maybe those centuries made the AI society all kinds of kooky. Maybe they have the three-laws of robotics thing that dictates how they see humans.

Hmm... oh wait. I just remembered now, this hasn't been updated since last year. I'm sad. ;_;

Well, I'll try using my power of inference and predictions to make my own ending:

The Batarians lose after a very curb-stompy battle or one final stand on their homeworld that I can't spell. The Hegemony collapses, but not before attempting to send out as much of their remaining population out in a last act to save them. What happens next depends on the actions of the covenant- I mean, AVIDA. (They remind me of the Covenant from halo, for some reason. Must be because they worship another race as gods and have a caste system, I think.)

A: The systematic destruction of all Batarian life. All ships, escape pods, planet-grounded- it doesn't matter. Everything dies.
Because AVIDA have to had known that humans likely died, or at the very definite been made slaves, they may take it as the worse offense and decide that Batarians as a species need to be wiped clean from the galaxy.

B: The AVIDA, after crippling the Batarians, decide to wreck their shit a little bit by destroying all of the tech, taking their ships, taking all their eezo, and then setting the planet on fire for good measure. Basically, the AVIDA know they’ve won at this point, but are now just picking through the Batarian homeworld for any humans and for resources because they can. The AVIDA could destroy the survivors or any that try to escape, but the intended goal has been accomplished. Humans saved, the Hegemony is no longer a threat.

Due to their logic-bound, synthetic nature, I’m not sure whether the AVIDA taking this route make a case of ‘making an example to the rest of the galaxy’ or not. Likely not. While it seems like the AIs have a small grasp of psychological warfare with their ground-unit design, it does not seem at all like they understand the concept of ‘forcing a surrender.’ The impression I get is that they kill everything.

C: The Batarians are, ironically, enslaved. This is the most unlikely, since it would require fitting the workers with the necessary tools and the AVIDA seem to be only interested in terraforming, for the moment. It’s also highly likely that humanity would not approve.

So…

What happens next after this I imagine is very simple: The counsel gets nervous. Very nervous. Even when the AVIDA stop and it becomes apparent that they do not wish to attack anyone else, the counsel will get paranoid, because they had just witnessed one of the races of the galactic community get wiped out.

Granted, the Batarians were asking for it and the counsel warned them, but now it becomes obvious that there is a newish race in the galaxy that can defeat a decently powerful race in about 2(?) years.

It’s also probably around this time that the galaxy discovers that the humans exist and that they are connected to AVIDA in some way. And that shuttle carrying human and batarian survivors make it to the citadel. Maybe not directly to the citadel, but I imagine that at some point at least a few humans will make it there.

Oh and AVIDA likely isn’t going to be forgetting about their lost gods any time soon. They are going to try finding them. They may find a way to seek out the rebel batarians on their hidden world, which would have some of the humans that broke out on Adek.

By this point, AVIDA is hunting for humans. Citadel counsel, through Saren or other Established Fandom-approved ME character, learns of this info or makes the connection that the AVIDA are searching for humans. No wait, scratch that, MULTIPLE characters make the connection in conjunction with their represented species or group. Now everyone is looking for humans.

The reasons for why everyone wants them depends. (Or another way of saying ‘I’m getting lazy and running out of ideas now.’)

The Asari find that the humans are the creators of the AVIDA. The Turians want to avoid a potential major war and so need a human to find weaknesses. Salarians of a similar goal to the Turians. Wrex doesn’t care, he’s still looking for a cure. Liara finds humans interesting. Quarians will hate the AVIDA just as much as the Geth. The Geth will be sympathetic to the AVIDA and help find their creators.

Or alternatively they all collectively gather around one single human with hushed breaths as they ask the human about whatever it is that they want to ask and the human says, “Um, I dunno. We’ve been asleep the whole time.”

And in that one, single, galaxy-shattering moment the races of the galaxy come to realize with bearable slowness that the humans know jack squat about their supposed creation.
The Mexican Taco Overlord chapter 5 . 3/11/2016
Where...Is...The...Rest?!(Slowly dies)
Poliamida chapter 6 . 2/16/2016
A really fun read, hope one day you continue it.