Reviews for The Tree
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/26/2006
This is utterly, achingly beautiful, and I don't think I will ever forget it. If I understood right, this is what should have happened with Feanor - "a story that could have changed the world, and maybe still could." *winces* Oh, your writing makes me want to fall to my knees. This vignette is, without a doubt, one of my favorites ever.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 11/3/2002
Ouch. A stone tree as a memorial, something that should be a live but really is not. Damned stupid Silmarils, seeming so alive when all they are is stone. What a painful little story.

Couldn't anyone figure out that Feanor just needs a hug?
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 10/31/2002
Sorry, I didnt review it before. I hate pointless reviews, but Cirdan left everyone without anything else to say :D So, what can I do except saying that this tale is great in its structure, its language and its deeply mysterious and dramatic subject? Bravo!
Soledad chapter 1 . 10/30/2002
You amaze me to no end. I'd need quite some recovery time before I could say anything remotely intelligent, so let's go with the little I *am* able to say: it's sad and wonderful and melancholic, and I love it.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 10/30/2002
Wow. Amazing and very well-written! You've said so much in that ever-elusive way. It's so short, and yet you manage to evoke the most wonderful images. Hands that shape the sculpture of the tree. I love the coming to life of the tree of stone, from cold mable to the blossoming of diamond flowers, the finely carved emerald leaves, and the fruits of ruby. It is so in character with the Noldor, isn't it? And more so in character for the greatest of the Noldor. His return, season after season, was captured perfectly, and that sense of being alone, of going to that sheltered place that all had forgotten, where no one mourned anymore, was wonderful. I especially like the very mild insert of the boy that then became a man, and he comes back to the tree still. It reminded me of "The Giving Tree," but it's the boy who is giving this time, and he's doing it for an otherwise forgotten grave. A love that never was... Yet a strong love nevertheless, one that somehow brought life to stone, and of course, he would be the only person able to do such a thing. This story compliments the idea of the Arch of Living Stone in Alqualonde especially, and wow, when you draw the parallels, this story becomes all the more powerful. A slightly disturbing tale that could have changed the world indeed! And did, whether we like it or not. I also love the way the boy worked without knowing who he was or who he was to be. None of us really know, do we? Who we will be or who we are to others. The loneliness and the search for some kind of relief in artistry is especially relevant to writers. It's a brilliant story, reminiscent of Tolkien's own "Tree and Leaf" yet unique in its own manner. You should consider getting it published. *looks of utter admiration* Thank you very much. I'm honored to receive such a story.