Reviews for A Kind of Valediction
Anon chapter 3 . 2/21/2014
There was a good resolution to the story. The middle part was indeed eerie, but not too scary.
HEW chapter 3 . 7/12/2011
A powerful story and beautifully told. And timely too, as I have spent the day thinking about my own ancestors. Thank you!
LadyoftheShield chapter 3 . 7/21/2010
Wow... wonderful job! Amazing, how they all waited that long- rather like the Cursed Ones at the Paths of the Dead.
Emily chapter 1 . 1/27/2010
No, I should think not! : )
KyMahalei chapter 3 . 7/31/2009
This is a mystical story, beautifully told. It seems congruent with Tolkien's Paths of the Dead. I love the imagery of this piece and the tone that you set throughout. I happened upon this quite by accident. I'll have to busy myself now, and dig around a bit with your other stories. Thanks for sharing your gift with others!
duj chapter 3 . 6/2/2009
Closure. They needed it.
eiluj chapter 3 . 3/21/2009
Masterful!
hecilo chapter 3 . 7/28/2008
i loved it,very well written, beautiful story. i loved it overall
Jassmine de Blanc chapter 3 . 6/19/2008
This was an extremely beautiful story! I recently wrote something that touches the issue you deal with here, and somebody recommended I read your fanfiction. But I have to admit yours is a hundred times better than mine!

I liked your story for many reasons: your characterization of Faramir, your vivid descriptios and the impeccable style of your writing, but what I loved the most was the very idea of putting Faramir face to face with his ancestors. You handled this in very original yet believable way, and yout portrayal of Mardil was excelent!

So thank you for such a wonderful story, this goes right to my Favourites! :)
Rhyselle chapter 3 . 11/24/2006
I want to weep, this story has just touched me so much. This line just caught my heart:

This was indeed a test - but not of him, not of his own worthiness. His forefathers stood before him, awaiting the verdict of the living, awaiting judgement - and the last not least.

And I was so glad that in the end Faramir was able to meet his father's eyes, and to bring peace to Denethor II.

Evocative and beautifully written.
Raksha The Demon chapter 3 . 6/28/2006
Oh, what a lovely story. I can't believe I haven't reviewed it here before. A perfect synthesis of ghost story/historical retrospective/personal confrontation between Faramir, as the Steward who gave the land back to the King, and the Stewards who had held the land for the missing King. And of course, a final, long overdue peace between a father and son that is utterly beautiful.
lindahoyland chapter 3 . 5/14/2006
Beautifully written.
agape4gondor chapter 3 . 4/28/2005
Wow - that's about all I can say through the tears - you have painted a beautifuly poignant condensed history of Gondor.

My favorite lines - So it was that Faramir looked upon his grandfather as Ecthelion chose his captain above his son, saving Pelargir whilst knowing what the price would be. And when the Eagle of the Star departed and Ecthelion closed his eyes praying to the Valar to deliver Gondor, Denethor opened the door and climbed the stairs, and Faramir watched through his father's eyes as he gazed into the clear and cloudy depths of the palantír.

I cannot even presume to critique it for it was wonderfully written. Thank you!
Grav chapter 3 . 2/16/2004
That was so cool! It's quite unlike anything I've ever read in the LotR fandom before. I've got some serious goosebumps going on here. This story was awesome!
Lady Cheshire chapter 3 . 12/29/2002
That was amazing! I loved how all of Gondor's past ghosts and phantoms were just sort of channeled through Faramir, and how he seemed to understand their meaning. Wonderful.