Reviews for Fire and Ice
Late to the party by more than a decade, I finally came across to this masterpiece! I can't thank enough for the author's talent! Quistis has always been my favorite character but her beauty, smartness and strength were not well depicted in the game. This story completes her and Seifer. I can't help thinking this is an official sequal of ffviii. fantastic work!
Amanda Ciantar chapter 41 . 7/5/2020
I've read this YEARS ago and this story has been stuck in my mind for all these years. Just reread this today. Thank you altol for such an amazing story. This took me back to my teenage years when I discovered the Final Fantasy world and this is so well written that it makes you feel like a sequel to the actual game. I thought characters like Seifer and Quistis deserved a proper ending and I wish Square-Enix would adopt this as a sequel. In any way thank you altol for taking the time to create such an amazing story and I hope we get to read more stories in the future.
apakoha chapter 41 . 4/27/2020
just read this again, after a very long time away, and realizing how formative this was in my teen years. so many lines in here are burned into my brain, and i didn't realize. coming back to this was so powerfully nostalgic. just wanted to let you know this still exists and means a lot to me, in my heart and mind, and i haven't forgotten it.
Sorariem chapter 41 . 5/20/2019
This was a very well written story. I admit, I cried in some of the chapters, especially the ending. Sad and happy tears alike.
I'm glad Seifer and Quistis found their happy ending together.
A happy... beautiful ending.
Crimson-Hybrid chapter 13 . 12/24/2018
I have read this story some years before, and only now did I notice, while re-reading again, that Dr. Sitrom is Rigor Mortis backwards! Lol. Clever!
guest chapter 15 . 10/31/2018
you're an amazing writer! and i love all the game of thrones references :)
Latinkon91 chapter 41 . 10/3/2018
I love the similarities between the situation of Quistis and Edea (chapter 21) - first love with a soldier, but these soldiers died and so Quistis/Edea moved on (to Serabin and Cid). But Edea had the uniform and knew her soldier was dead, so she settled to a live with Cid and was "happy". Quistis knew that Seifer was dead, but there was no evidence so she hoped and with it grieved too long. She would have been happy with Serabin too, but just not on that level as with Seifer. She had this short relationship with Serabin because she was haunted by her own demons, Seifers and Cid's death and because Serabin was "nice" and offered comfort. She could have a nice and content life with him - just like Edea and Cid, but never truly and totally happy.

I think thats wonderfully shown in the last few chapters - even the ghost of the night/the relationship she had with Seifer was enough to not accept Serabins offer (even if Seifer treated her like shit after their night together). Then when Seifer Comes back, she's angry but when he asks her to come with him, she accepts nearly instantly.

I really liked Serabin, and thats why I think it's sad for him - he loved Quistis but after Seifer she knew she wanted someone who challenged her more, so in the end as long as Seifer is alive he never had a chance. For her, he was just too boring.

And in the ending she has her house, her knight and her dog. He finally found a worthy queen and gave the ring to his special other.

Tl; dr: Loved the story, also because it showed some real emotions and not everything was just sunshine and butterflies.
X.q14 chapter 41 . 4/20/2018
I've read this fic over and over again and I still haven't gotten tired of it!
Tequila Princess chapter 39 . 8/26/2017
Just wanted to let you know, when I'm feeling..strange..., I always go back to this chapter to make me feel better about the world. The suspense of Seifer running into-and making amends with, more or less-everyone BUT Quistis I'm sure made everyone stop breathing, and the made the payoff at the end THAT much fulfilling. Cheesy as it sounds, it really does make my poor shipper heart soar. Thank you, once again, for sharing your vision with all of us, and I hope you're still writing in any capacity today.
AzL chapter 41 . 6/14/2017
I read it over and over, and the feeling is still the same. Thank you for this wonderful and very beautiful fanfic/story of yours. Seify and Quisty forever..
Guest chapter 30 . 5/26/2017
I hate you for killing Fuj and making me cry in this chapter
Guest chapter 41 . 5/23/2017
I just read the last 2 chapter because I am very curious and I am really amazed by the feed back for the stories and reading the last 2 chapter honestly made cry. It was so beautiful, I will read it from the start but just want to know if the person in the Epilogue was Quifer? Sorry for spoiling,thanks for the great story! You're a great writter 3
Guest chapter 1 . 1/17/2017
I always come back to this story. I'm no longer 16 years old, it has been a decade, and i still love it. I wonder if you ever come back to the net.
Argentine chapter 28 . 12/10/2016
I almost never walk away from a completed fic over 100 thousand words in, but I'm walking away now.

I wanted to stick around. I really enjoy the author's writing style; it's more imagery-based than the typical plain-speech description that you usually find in fanfic. The fact that they managed to finish such a gargantuan work is also kind of awe inspiring, and I have a lot of respect for that. The relationship development is believable, and the characters behave believability throughout.

I do believe that a beta reader would have been useful, as the author can sometimes lose track of the details of a scene; for example, Zell's weapon changing from steel knuckles to titanium (I believe) knuckles in the space of a paragraph, or Quistis' injuries upon arrival at Garden changing from broken ribs to unbroken ribs. Quistis' strength also seems to vary widely; near the beginning, it's clear that she's one of the world strongest heroes, but near the middle there's several pages of a scene where she gets pushed around and monologued at by a rich boy character who barely made SeeD, as far as I recall. I don't feel like Quistis would be physically (or verbally) bullied by a character whose entire existence revolves around him being pathetic and self-serving.

Regarding the plot though? Meh. The emotional pacing of the fic, from chapter one through twenty eight, is a bit odd (I stopped at twenty eight). Sometimes you get hours worth of reading chapters that are more or less a homogenous emotional flavor (the general taste of which is, "Everybody is miserable" or occasionally, "Let's have the characters do monotonous exposition through dialogue for five pages"), and other times there are jarring jumps, from cliffhanger tension too bright and bubbly slapstick almost-humor.

The author also has a tendency to rely heavily on really, REALLY stereotypical "tragic past plot devices". However, Quistis' past doesn't come up until about halfway through the fic. As a result, the reader ends up 150,000 words in when they realize that they're reading something where the main character has a borderline Mary Sue backstory. SPOILERS AHEAD; SKIP TO NEXT PARAGRAPH IF YOU WANT TO AVOID THEM. The idea of abuse is utilized heavily in the backstories of the two main characters; or perhaps I should say, the STEREOTYPE of abuse is used as a plot point (though I'm not entirely sure why, at twenty eight chapters in; to make Quistis and Seifer parallel each other, maybe? Deserve each other, maybe?). The abuse scenes were what really disengaged me from the story. It makes more sense of why Seifer acts the way he does, and it's strongly implied in canon for Quistis, but to spend thousands upon thousands of words depicting the same tired old scenes we've read elsewhere hundreds of times? I don't get it. Is it mildly ridiculous to be criticizing a FANFICTION author for using a tired trope? Maybe. But I've seen (and enjoyed) plenty of time travel AUs, coffee shop AUs, etc., because those writers bring a fresh new perspective, and fresh new twists to the field. I just assumed that if somebody can describe a scene or a dream as well as this author, or devote as much time and research into looking up technical details as this author clearly did, they should be able to have major plot points that are more sophisticated than, "Main character has tragic abuse backstory? Okay, so let's have a scene where they get hit, let's have a scene where they almost get killed by their parents, and let's throw in some alcoholism for good measure. Oh, and since the character's a girl, let's have her get raped as a child, too." Oh, and in case you're wondering, any time you see an ugly, fat, or disabled person in this story, their appearance gets described in great detail (considering that they're usually a minor character), and they're never good people. The benevolent sexism is strong in this fic; it's clearly in character, though no less creepy, from Seifer's perspective (dude literally became a WHITE KNIGHT in canon), but for Quistis, a character who is defined by her heroism, to go full princess mode and have her secret wish that some knight will come to save her someday, it's jarring. And kind of pathetic.

I almost never walk away from a completed fic this far in (this probably only happens about twice a year), but I'm walking away now.

GRANTED, I have no idea how old the author was at the time; if this person was in high school, or not a native English speaker, then this work is freaking INCREDIBLE. The author's writing style is also very well suited for shorter works (one shots, flash fiction, etc.). Still, if you're looking for a fic that will surprise you, or inspire you, I'd suggest you keep looking.
TheBoona chapter 41 . 11/22/2016
Easily one of the best works on the site! Bravo!
1,351 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »