Reviews for Fire and Ice
AzL chapter 41 . 6/14
I read it over and over, and the feeling is still the same. Thank you for this wonderful and very beautiful fanfic/story of yours. Seify and Quisty forever..
I hate you for killing Fuj and making me cry in this chapter
I just read the last 2 chapter because I am very curious and I am really amazed by the feed back for the stories and reading the last 2 chapter honestly made cry. It was so beautiful, I will read it from the start but just want to know if the person in the Epilogue was Quifer? Sorry for spoiling,thanks for the great story! You're a great writter 3
I always come back to this story. I'm no longer 16 years old, it has been a decade, and i still love it. I wonder if you ever come back to the net.
Argentine chapter 28 . 12/10/2016
I almost never walk away from a completed fic over 100 thousand words in, but I'm walking away now.

I wanted to stick around. I really enjoy the author's writing style; it's more imagery-based than the typical plain-speech description that you usually find in fanfic. The fact that they managed to finish such a gargantuan work is also kind of awe inspiring, and I have a lot of respect for that. The relationship development is believable, and the characters behave believability throughout.

I do believe that a beta reader would have been useful, as the author can sometimes lose track of the details of a scene; for example, Zell's weapon changing from steel knuckles to titanium (I believe) knuckles in the space of a paragraph, or Quistis' injuries upon arrival at Garden changing from broken ribs to unbroken ribs. Quistis' strength also seems to vary widely; near the beginning, it's clear that she's one of the world strongest heroes, but near the middle there's several pages of a scene where she gets pushed around and monologued at by a rich boy character who barely made SeeD, as far as I recall. I don't feel like Quistis would be physically (or verbally) bullied by a character whose entire existence revolves around him being pathetic and self-serving.

Regarding the plot though? Meh. The emotional pacing of the fic, from chapter one through twenty eight, is a bit odd (I stopped at twenty eight). Sometimes you get hours worth of reading chapters that are more or less a homogenous emotional flavor (the general taste of which is, "Everybody is miserable" or occasionally, "Let's have the characters do monotonous exposition through dialogue for five pages"), and other times there are jarring jumps, from cliffhanger tension too bright and bubbly slapstick almost-humor.

The author also has a tendency to rely heavily on really, REALLY stereotypical "tragic past plot devices". However, Quistis' past doesn't come up until about halfway through the fic. As a result, the reader ends up 150,000 words in when they realize that they're reading something where the main character has a borderline Mary Sue backstory. SPOILERS AHEAD; SKIP TO NEXT PARAGRAPH IF YOU WANT TO AVOID THEM. The idea of abuse is utilized heavily in the backstories of the two main characters; or perhaps I should say, the STEREOTYPE of abuse is used as a plot point (though I'm not entirely sure why, at twenty eight chapters in; to make Quistis and Seifer parallel each other, maybe? Deserve each other, maybe?). The abuse scenes were what really disengaged me from the story. It makes more sense of why Seifer acts the way he does, and it's strongly implied in canon for Quistis, but to spend thousands upon thousands of words depicting the same tired old scenes we've read elsewhere hundreds of times? I don't get it. Is it mildly ridiculous to be criticizing a FANFICTION author for using a tired trope? Maybe. But I've seen (and enjoyed) plenty of time travel AUs, coffee shop AUs, etc., because those writers bring a fresh new perspective, and fresh new twists to the field. I just assumed that if somebody can describe a scene or a dream as well as this author, or devote as much time and research into looking up technical details as this author clearly did, they should be able to have major plot points that are more sophisticated than, "Main character has tragic abuse backstory? Okay, so let's have a scene where they get hit, let's have a scene where they almost get killed by their parents, and let's throw in some alcoholism for good measure. Oh, and since the character's a girl, let's have her get raped as a child, too." Oh, and in case you're wondering, any time you see an ugly, fat, or disabled person in this story, their appearance gets described in great detail (considering that they're usually a minor character), and they're never good people. The benevolent sexism is strong in this fic; it's clearly in character, though no less creepy, from Seifer's perspective (dude literally became a WHITE KNIGHT in canon), but for Quistis, a character who is defined by her heroism, to go full princess mode and have her secret wish that some knight will come to save her someday, it's jarring. And kind of pathetic.

I almost never walk away from a completed fic this far in (this probably only happens about twice a year), but I'm walking away now.

GRANTED, I have no idea how old the author was at the time; if this person was in high school, or not a native English speaker, then this work is freaking INCREDIBLE. The author's writing style is also very well suited for shorter works (one shots, flash fiction, etc.). Still, if you're looking for a fic that will surprise you, or inspire you, I'd suggest you keep looking.
theboona chapter 41 . 11/22/2016
Easily one of the best works on the site! Bravo!
Yang Xiao Long chapter 41 . 5/23/2016
This story is totally epic, in so many amazing ways, the battles scenes were superb, Seifer and Quistis... how do I tell you that I didn't even ship them before your story? The Nida issue definitely broke my heart a little, it was a great move to change him instead of Xyrxis. Thank you for giving them the "happy ending" it was an amazing and absolute worthwhile reading, thank you very much for writing it!
solati chapter 41 . 4/27/2016
I just finished reading this week and it was amazing. Made a new ff account to say that if you aren't writing a book right now, I totally implore you to do so! I'd totally read it :)
BIGerontheInside chapter 41 . 2/14/2016
Ugh, I read this again.

I really want to vomit now.

I'm otherwise at a loss for articulating my feelings.
Bigerontheinside chapter 13 . 1/26/2016
Okay, really, no one handles formaldehyde without gloves, never mind a tissue specimen. That shit is super teratogenic. That smell is the worst when you're congested.

Is quistis Britishish? More thoughts had I, before my ambien kicked in an, soft! Rest is nigh!
Gold chapter 41 . 12/4/2015
I haven't been this riveted by a piece of writing for a very long time. I had a marvellous reading experience and I hope I'll be fortunate enough to repeat this experience via the sequel. The writing got sharper, fiercer and better-woven, somehow, as the chapters passed. The battle scenes are my favourite, in particular Quistis' final stand. As I read , I felt that I was there in person, blood on the battlefield and in my teeth, blinded by the final Protect that was cast with Quistis' life, and choked by the stench of war and madness fouling the air. I swear, I could smell it. I will miss the Quistis of this story, and I wish I could see her fight again, through your writing, a Blue Mage with her Save The Queen and her Knight.

When a story spans years in the making, it is more than a labour of love. It is a great gift. As a reader who has found this story, I am just so glad I am this lucky. Thank you, most awfully, from the bottom of my heart.
Girl-chama chapter 2 . 11/30/2015
Hmmm, I appreciate the need for setup, but there is a little bit of melodrama going on in Q's thinking, I think. She's still young but she's also been through a massive war and is not surrounded by people who are critical of her- why should she be doubting herself so thoroughly after all she's accomplished? It runs me a little the wrong way, but I am still interested to see where the story is going, so I'm reading onward.
Girl-chama chapter 1 . 11/30/2015
So very interested to see where this goes. Admittedly I am only now wetting my feet in the FF8 fandom but I have not yet come upon the broken-Seifer-trope until now. The writing is pretty good overall. I have to re-read it in spots to get the full meaning, but it works. Going onward :)
YellowShoes chapter 41 . 11/21/2015
I swear, this is one fanfic I could read over and over and over and over and over again and never get tired of it.
Guest chapter 40 . 11/8/2015
I don't know if you still check this thing but I started reading this story in 2002 when I had just turned 11 and to this day, at the age of 24, I still come back to this chapter when I need a cry that I can't tug out of myself, so thank you for keeping your words here. I hope in 10 years they're still here when I need to let it all out.
1,342 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »