Reviews for Fire and Ice
Rinkashi Namiki chapter 41 . 4/6/2011
I cannot express how much I like.. love! this story. It feels so natural. Several times over I have thought that if Square ever made a sequel to FFVIII, that they should simply buy up the rights to "Fire & Ice" for the plot. I have recommended this story to so many people- even ones that have never heard of or played FFVIII. You've written this in such a way that a person barely needs to know the backstory from 8 to be able to fully enjoy your work.

I suppose that I might have such a strong inclination for Seifer and Quistis (and your works) is because that I can relate to them so damn well.
with vine leaves in his hair chapter 41 . 3/14/2011
amazing story. ;)
Sorikaii chapter 41 . 3/4/2011
Let me start off this review by telling you how fantastic this story is. I’m sure you’ve heard it before—the number of reviews this has is staggering, and well deserved. I’m very, very picky in what I read, and so finding something that will meet my fanfiction standards, and for so many chapters, is a rare and lucky feat. I’ve never really been a fan of Seifer/Quistis—it never seemed right to me, too rushed and ridiculous, with no reason other than people like to write romance. But your story was on the favorites list of a few writers that I really respect, so I decided to give it a chance, and I’m glad that I did.

This is how Seifer/Quistis should be written: it doesn’t start off as hate and transcend into more too quickly, it is well-paced and drawn out nicely, and after a while the two of them together began to make sense to me. Kudos for that. But this fanfiction wasn’t just an excellent example of a couple I never got until now—it’s an excellent example of how fanfiction should be written in general.

I know that people tend to over exaggerate their emotions after reading a good fic, but here’s the truth. I cried, which is rare in my history of reading fanfiction, multiple times; the hardest was during the Cid/Quistis death scene thing. It was so poignant, so filled with emotion in simple ways that struck a chord in me. I laughed aloud several times, at humor that didn’t seemed forced into the characters, but natural. I ached at the news of Ceres/Arya’s true identity (which is most likely because I’m the biggest Zell fanatic out there and always want him to have a happy ending, but it’s also got something to do with your writing, for sure). I wanted to punch some characters in the face and give others a big hug. I adore fanfiction that makes you really think, that strikes something in you that has you pondering the larger picture of everything—but that’s not what I found here. I found something completely new—a fanfiction that made me really feel something, that took hold of and captivated me, riveting me to the screen until the story had been told, and then leaving me with an empty hollow feeling when it was over because I wanted more. And stories like this one are the reason this site was really created.

I probably sound really, really creepy and crazy—this I blame on the high dosage pain meds I’m currently taking—because I don’t know you at all, and here I am writing a review that’s almost longer than some of my own fics. I don’t know if this story has faded to the back of your mind, or if it’s all you think about—I always feel a little weird reviewing stories that have been completed long ago, but I needed to leave you a review.

So, to wrap this novel of a review up, I have nothing but the utmost respect for your story telling skills. You’ve made a girl stuck in bed all summer with a cast on her leg very, very happy—and much less bored—at any rate.

PS. I discovered a song recently, and fell in love with it, so I put it on repeat while I was reading this story, and I think that it fits absolutely flawlessly. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but I thought I’d at least alert you to its existence. ‘Sit Down by the Fire’ by The Veils. It’s a beautiful song.
Darkgirl5 chapter 29 . 1/27/2011
So, 12 chapters later and I'm reviewing again. I'm both a lousy reviewer and a bit of a stalker right now. Sorry.

I loved this chapter. You did the impossible and made me Love Seifer. I can't wait to see how this plays out! I'm recommending this to everyone I know-which is admittedly not that many people. Sorry.

I love that you've given Seifer and Quistis similar horror stories in their pasts. I really HATE your OC Brek (which means he's great. Usually I don't care one way or the other for OCs in fanfiction.) I'm looking forward to him getting some just desserts.

I usually try to offer a 'constructive criticism' part but there's nothing to say. Your dialogue is fantastic. Your narrative flow is spot on. I haven't caught a tense shift or misplaced comma. (Not that I'd actually point out the comma, but you get the idea.) Your style is brilliant and gifted and I'll stop flailing now or I might just break my computer.

Thanks for sharing!
Darkgirl5 chapter 17 . 1/26/2011
This story is excellent. I'm sorry that I've read 17 chapers before bothering to review. I'm usually better than that. I guess it just speaks to how great your story really is.

Anyway, I know this is an old story to you by now, but I know I never get tired of receiving praise for my older work. I've never been a Seifer fan (at all) but I enjoy slow building stories and was looking for a FFVIII story that wasn't Squall/Rinoa (how boring can you get?) And I was lucky enough to come across this story.

I love your Quistis. I'm glad you've given her a spine to stand up to Squall. I'm hoping that they'll come to find common ground (but I'll be good either way to be honest. Squall kind of pisses me off sometimes. Or, you know, always.)

I like Seifer. I think you've done a great job making me feel for his plight when I honestly never liked him at all. I enjoy a good redemption fic and yours is a great one.

Anyway, excellent story (and I'm sure you know how great it is.) Thank you for sharing.
XGaaHinaLoverX chapter 41 . 1/13/2011
man this makes me feel like crying :( i love this story so much pls update the sequel quickly
Reever Rayne chapter 41 . 12/23/2010
I feel like a whore...I've been a fan for zell X quistis for a long time and now...I can't choose which I love most...I've read your fic in a record speed of 2 days...2 days...without sleep!Oh my goodness...Your writing style...the way you craft the words...the way you characterize the characters...its perfect!Everything falls into place in the right way you orchestrated the events has left me baffled!The twist and turn...It shocks is no arc that is of them are important.I love the characters...I feel so hollow...empty when i read finish your ...it felt like graduation again...not know what the future holds for us...empty ,hollow,sad,craving for more...Thank you for making this awesome fic!(btw...aww the moomba scouts are in trouble LOL)

Gracious me...i need sleep...well good night XD and thank you for torturing me with this wonderful fic!I can't say enough...LOVE YOUR WRITING STYLE.

PS...I love that this fic is complete!

PPS: you have almost converted me to this pairing fully !
Nethiel Nessime chapter 41 . 11/14/2010
Now at the end of this, I can't quite find the right words. I guess I should start with the fact that this piece of fiction is amongst the best I've ever read, both fan and original. It's right up there with masters Tolkien, Pratchett, Waltari and madam Sinisalo. It's definitely the best piece of literature anyone could find on this particular site, and I've read my share of good fanfiction.

The characters are believably written, their histories, feelings and quirks wonderfully crafted into something one grows to love. There were multiple places that almost made me cry, and one particular (Seifer's past) that made me bawl. As long as the story is, it's unobtrusive and interesting all the way through, without a single boring moment. I salute your writing skills, and I thank you for presenting me with the opportunity to read this masterpiece. Thank you.
August Avant chapter 41 . 11/1/2010
About a year and a half ago, I looked up Final Fantasy fanfiction online for the first time. I was completely stressed over grad school and really was looking for anything amusing to take my mind off it. I remember Fire and Ice was one of the first things I read, and I was in love. I'm so glad that such a great story ended up being my first impression of fanfiction. Thank you for sharing it and showing that fanfiction isn't the immature, derivative, self-serving avenue I feared it would be.
Roma88 chapter 1 . 9/16/2010
Aww you like Johnny Cash! Its been a long time since I heard that song but I must say the lyrics of "Hurt" definitely describe Seifer's state of mind in your fic. Thanks for the memories of a truly wonderful song :)
Angel-In-Black chapter 41 . 9/3/2010
Wow. I have managed to get through this in a week (around study and insane amounts of training) because I tried to put it down, so to speak, and couldn't. Last night I stopped reading at midnight because I figured sleep was probably a higher priority, only to wake at 5am and unable to get back to sleep because I was so caught up in this I had to know how it ended. It's even a rare sunny day in Palmerston North and here I am, sitting inside, wrapped in blankets with the laptop balanced on my knees avidly reading.

I loved it. Bravo. You've done an admirable job of making someone else's characters your own and I thoroughly enjoyed every chapter. Great reads are rare on this site, but yours definitely makes the list.

I hope you keep writing! And I hope I have time to take a look at your other, I'm guessing more recent, works on this site!
edievalentine chapter 41 . 8/2/2010
I read this fic last year and I'm pretty sure that I left an anonymous review. But just in case I didn't, I'll leave you one now.

This is without question one of the best fanfics I have ever read. Don't get me wrong it is a ridiculously long piece of work and some people might not have the patience for it. But reading it is worth it.

Your portrayal of the characters is very well-done. You were able to give them more facets in their personality without destroying what they were in the game. (Quistis as the bossy girl and Seifer as the jerk) Your OCs also fit well into story especially Serabin and Brek. Although, I'm not a fan of Ceres.

But perhaps one of the nicest things about your story is the way you describe things. The way your write events and stuff is phenomenal.

Anyway, I'll say it again. This is one of the best, if not, the best fanfic ever.
nii-nii93 chapter 41 . 7/22/2010
I can't believe I didn't see this fic before ;O !

It's so beautifully written; everything about it is amazing..

The chapters were pretty long, but they were hardly boring at all - I think the attention to detail is what made this story even better :3

Thank you so much for providing me with this wonderful story to read.
Falcon S. Kimeraki chapter 4 . 6/2/2010
Well time for me to speak. Feel free to ignore me at any point in time my friend.

First off. Seifer's always been screwed up. Him drinking his life away isn't so much of a surprise as it is reality at it's harshest. Though, returning to Garden was the kicker. The place of so many defeats for that man. And from the way he's been thinknig I though he'd rather bite his own tongue off than stay in that office with Cid and Squall.

Quistis' Being the awesome woman that she is, played the part of the Ex instructor quite perfectly. Her being behind the desk and eyeing the sludge that was Garden Coffee while Selphie in her all annoyingness chripy self... yeah. I'm surpised that Quis didn't shoot her right away. And Quistis man handling Seifer? Wow. Just wow. Epic! I'm not much for the battle of the sexes but that one really made me laugh.

Well, Enough from me.

Hope to read more of your work.

Falcon S. Kimeraki
QuistisxSeifer4ever chapter 41 . 3/9/2010
I actually cried at the end. :)

I love how everything is tied together at the end, when her mother had promised her that she'd dance on the beach in a beautiful dress and be happy.

all my girly emotions bottled up and spilled over through my eyes, and I'm so happy that you made it a happy ending! In a world full of sad stories, and horrible endings, Good endings are what give us hope and happiness.

Comparing the ending of Quistis and Seifer here, they make Rinoa and Squall look like a mild wine. Gosh, I can finally rest my thoughts on how my 2 favorite characters of all time live their life. Thank you so much. 3
1,320 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 .. Last Next »