Reviews for First Sights, Last Sights
redsatindoll chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
One of the best best Buffy POV fics I have read. You get inside her head so wonderfully well, with such insight and compassion. And I'm very impressed with writers who are willing to tackle the AR because the few times I've seen it done, it's generally handled with delicacy as it is her but also honesty. I love it when authors can write about Buffy and Spike but do so even-handledly, without bashing or whitewashing.

iThat night at the Bronze, he reaches the apogee of his insight, and then starts to look at you through glasses thicker than Giles ever wore, glasses showing him only what he wants to see, right until the moment when the pitiless light in your bathroom glares at both of you. /i

Excellent analysis. I've seen a lot of conversation in the short time I've joined fandom (a mostly Spuffy corner of it, to be honest) about how insightful Spike is, how well he "knows" her, but very little about how self-deluded he often is. His love is not "unconditional", it comes with conditions and expectations, just like the Scoobies have expectations of her. And it can't be helped, but it isn't helpful (and there's the irony.)

i(Years later, in another building falling apart around the two of you, you do see that look of surprise: but the girl who'd have treasured it is gone, and there's just you, watching him watching you, for a moment not sure whether you had finally done it, staked him, or whether you really went through with what's been in your blood ever ?)/i

Great connection to Smashed, and one I had never thought of.

i "Did you bruise the boy? Come on too strong?" And you're all shame and humiliation, because that is what you're afraid of: that you're a freak who did everything wrong and always will. /i

This is GREAT. I would direct this to anyone who still doesn't understand Buffy circa S6

i"You didn't think I'd stay around after THAT," Angel said, when you didn't know yet he lost his soul, and even though later you told yourself time and again the demon was just taunting you, you never stopped wondering whether you did not really disappoint him. "Come to think of it," Spike goes on, "someone already told me you weren't worth another go - ah yes, Angel," and suddenly, his unerring ability to say the worst possible thing returns your strength to you, and you beat him./i

OUCH. No wonder the girl has issues. And now we're back to Wrecked as well and Spike's "I knew the only thing better than killing a Slayer would be..."
TimeTravellingBunny chapter 1 . 10/18/2010
This was really beautifully written, and once again you did a great job of getting into Buffy's head and showing her relationship with Spike from her POV, something that few of the fans seem able or willing to do. I always related to her, and you've expressed everything I felt she must have been feeling.
Riana1 chapter 1 . 10/25/2006
Perfect Buffy voice and the last line is haunting.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/15/2004
When next you'll see him, he'll be gone, hidden somewhere in someone you have never met before.

Wow again! I loved "City Girls" and I'm just getting around to working through your backlist, and I just love this view of Buffy looking at Spike. All of it so true, so perfect. Oh those crazy kids -
D M Evans chapter 1 . 12/31/2002
Nicely done. You got into Buffy's head splendidly. She is so torn and you illustrated that well.
S J Smith-Evil Little Dog chapter 1 . 12/23/2002
Creepy and sad. How did you feel about writing in second person? Mine was more rushed and furious, yours is more contemplative. I think I like both.

Excellent work, as always.
Christina K chapter 1 . 11/1/2002
Damn, this is good. Can't believe what a clear emotional arc you managed to trace through the last six years; and how well you captured Buffy's voice through all of it. I don't think there's a false note in this story.

Great job.

Christina
Kitty Montague chapter 1 . 10/31/2002
I really like your style of writing, and you seem to have got right into Buffy's head. Everything you describe as her thoughts makes perfect sense. I look forward to reading more of your work.
fastpilot chapter 1 . 10/31/2002
Massively seconding Miss Becky here, and Rashaka.

I'm making a note to myself to rip off one your concepts. I hope that's acceptable if I credit you. Imitation being the sincerest...
NShadows chapter 1 . 10/31/2002
That was incredible, wonderful story...
Rashaka too lazy to sign in chapter 1 . 10/31/2002
I enjoyed this a great deal, and I hope you write other Buffy fics. The voice you used for Buffy was in-character and interesting. This is very much like how I imagined Buffy might ahve thought of events.
Kathy3 chapter 1 . 10/31/2002
Wow.

I love it. You're so insightful. I haven't seen any of the new episodes (we're still waiting in the UK), but I have read some spoilers. Your fic seems to back up what I have read that one day, she will tell him.

Please write more fics
Miss Becky chapter 1 . 10/31/2002
Wow! This is an incredible story. Very insightful observations on the B/S relationship throughut the years. My favorite line: "...glasses showing him only what he wants to see, right until the moment when the pitiless light in your bathroom glares at both of you." Great story, great voice. Would love to see more like this.