Reviews for Alone in the Dark
Androgene chapter 4 . 1/23/2003
About time you update! I was waiting a looong time for part 4. Great work, simple tale but very engaging storytelling. How's part 5 coming along?
Beth Mitchell chapter 3 . 1/9/2003
Hello...I wanted to tell you that I love your story to pieces. I am DYING to find out what happens to Frodo and if he really is blind. Please please continue
Nilmandra chapter 3 . 1/3/2003
I have read this story several times, and the scene that I cannot get out of my mind is here at the end of Chapter 3, when Merry and Pippin see the whip marks on Frodo's back, when his blood marks their hands. Having just seen TTT (um, for the third time) one of things that struck me was the whip scars on Gollum's back. I keep thinking of our four injured little hobbits and now must admit am wondering what we will see next year in the RoTK? This whole story is just haunting, beautifully haunting. Our Frodo is going to regain his sight, though? Please?
amc623 chapter 3 . 12/21/2002
Oh my gosh...this was such a great chapter! I loved it. Oh...poor Frodo. That was so nice of Merry to actually let Frodo "see" how tall they were and to describe everything for him. This is very touching story.

Please, please update soon, I was so happy to see a new chapter after so long and you just leave me wanting more. :)

AC
LilyBaggins chapter 3 . 12/20/2002
Gracious-your descriptions of Frodo's injuries terrify me-which I have to tell you I LIVE FOR. Honestly-that's my favorite thing about this story. It's so graphically real, and slow-moving, and sad, and yet Frodo has the support of his friends. Just lovely.
Heidi Gamgee chapter 3 . 12/16/2002
Thank you so much for updating! This is a wonderful story, I'm really enjoying it. I loved how Merry tried to distract Frodo from his frustration over his sight by standing him to check out their newfound height. Merry's attitude is great: "Hush up, Sam, and help your master stand."

They're taking great care of him, it's very touching. Please continue!
Elwen chapter 3 . 12/16/2002
I can't access Frodohealers to review so I'm leaving my review here.

Can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this tale and this latest chapter is the most heartwrenching yet. The interaction between the four hobbits is beautifully highlighted here.
A Elbereth chapter 3 . 12/15/2002
OMG! This story makes me cry! I felt such sympathy when Frodo couldn't even find his food without help! I'm going to die! Okay... maybe not... but Frodo did in your other fic 'Sallow' which made me burst hysterically into tears...

This is so good, but it makes me so sad! Are your eally going to cause Frodo the pain of being blind? How horrible! What a nightmare to not be able to see the beauty in each feature of every face... the face of the moon and stars and mountains... how terrible...

Sorry, I'm getting poetic in my depressive state lol... Its so good! Please continue! I added it to my favorites, as well as you to my authors list! Please hurry with the next chapter! I love it so much! Need more! Poor Frodo!
sayhello chapter 1 . 12/15/2002
Wow! Another wonderful chapter! This is just such a great story. Very believably written, full of sorrow and angst. I'm following this story with *great* interest! More please! Poor, poor Frodo!
Ariel3 chapter 3 . 12/15/2002
I've said it before, Slipstream, but I absolutely ADORE this... You have built such a believeable AU with such care and such attention to detail! It is bloody MARVELLOUS! At the rate you are going you are going to have LOTS of chapters and lots more angst for the poor boy! PLEASE finish this - I can honestly say I am TOTALLY loving this wonderfully angsty tale!
amc623 chapter 2 . 11/12/2002
Oh my gosh, what a heart-breaking chapter. Really, this was so moving. I just couldn't stop thinking about this fic after the first chapter and I am SO glad you updated. I can't wait for more!

AC
A Elbereth chapter 2 . 11/11/2002
Wow!

“I never want to taste the elven waybread ever again. I wish I had never grown to know its hollow taste that wills a body to live even when the mind wishes to die…”

That is an extremely strong statement. I can see it-the things Frodo felt and saw-and it's just not fair. You did well with this particular sentence. I'm sure every other reader here has also thought something special about this phrase.
LilyBaggins chapter 2 . 11/11/2002
My God, that's sad. So sad ... but utterly lovely. Okay, I have to keep MY eyes from tearing up as I read it... this absolutely makes my heart wrench for the poor little hobbit. I adore the medical detail and research you've (and Febobe for the nutrition!) poured into this ... you know, it reminds me of trachoma, which is what many soldiers used to get during warfare from the filthy conditions and dust.
shirebound chapter 2 . 11/11/2002
Oh, I'm just gasping in agony and pity for Frodo. This is so heartbreaking! You're not going to *leave* him like this, are you? Whew. I'm really caught up in your story, as you can tell. So beautifully written, but it's truly breaking my heart. Sigh.
Ancalime can't login since I technically already commented chapter 1 . 11/6/2002
You should feel very proud of yourself for this piece. You've had me thinking about it almost nonstop since I read it the first time (and the second . . . and the third . . .). :p And since I'm trying to placate the little hamsters in my brain that are running around with all sorts of musings about your fic, I'm going to write these ideas out so that maybe, just *maybe*, they'll give me some peace and quiet for once. :p Anyway . . .

-Frodo's going to be blind (or close to it) isn't he . . . I can see why you chose this as your plot-it has the potential for many interesting twists and, of course, lots of angst :)

-how will he react when he first finds out? Disbelief, obviously, perhaps anger . . . then maybe moving to despair; I say that because I get the impression that before the Quest, his life was much like Bilbo's-reading, writing, translating-all of which obviously require eyesight (at least, in their more primitive society, I would imagine they hadn't developed anything like Braille yet). In that case, he'll feel rather useless, since he can no longer do what he used to do. Also, he wouldn't really be able to write the Red Book, either, unless he himself comes up with a Braille-type system . . .

-I think all of that would probably make the anniversary illnesses worse, especially since all he'll be able to 'see' (in his memory, of course) is the nightmares and memories of the evil he's experienced. I imagine that would be overwhelming.

-will he still sail West? I can't really see why he wouldn't, *especially* if sailing has the potential to heal his eyes as well as his emotional wounds. If that were the case, and his eyes did heal, a good ending could be when Sam arrives and they reunite, with Frodo actually able to *see* him again (aww, how sweet . . .) . . . :)

Of course, most of that rambling is dependent upon Frodo being blind (or very close to it), and while I'm not *absolutely* certain that's what's going to happen, I'm fairly confident in that prediction. ;) I can't wait for more of this; I want to see how what you write compares to my own mental 'plot'. :p But of course, I also can't wait simply because it's an excellent story! :)
55 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »