Reviews for What the Moon Saw
Guest chapter 1 . 11/19/2016
This is a beautiful fanfiction. I loved it!
Dame Selena chapter 1 . 5/15/2015
I actually read this a while ago and I'm only reviewing it now after re-stumbling on it because it was really left a mark on me and made me rethink Johanna.

Overall it was extremely dark, could you add incest and pedophilia to the list of trigger warnings?

Wow her father molested her? It definitely adds dimension to her character. I liked the repetition of five years before... and the similarities in situations before and after being a victor.

9. Was the saddest in my opinion, a little girl desperately trying to fit in with her peers but shunned and isolated.

I doubt a lumberjack in District 7 could get a digital camera.

"They said she was weak but she just needed time" was my favorite line because it described so accurately both little Johanna and tribute Johanna.

I find it unbelievable they rigged the reaping to pull her name. I don't understand her motive either, if she wanted to go in the games for the money or suicide she could have just volunteered.

I'm so relieved there's a happy ending for this story, I liked the last line, a part of her past still exists, but isn't shameful or painful, instead it's something she's familiar with and has made peace with.
red for revolution chapter 1 . 10/11/2014
Wow, this is gorgeous. I love the five years before, five years after thing at the very last one, and the really interesting prompts you've chosen to use. Poor, poor Johanna, but I really like that you've included the last bit of happiness - I'm assuming her husband is Fallon from Estoma's stories? Yeah. Beautiful.
Roxiblilly chapter 1 . 9/5/2014
Fantastic, poetic, and moving story. Great job!
octocelot chapter 1 . 6/28/2014
Agh, Onyx, I can't figure out how to review this gorgeously written fic.

One thing that I really found impressive was how you met the 100 word limit. I'm guilty of skipping over the author's note the first time I read this, so I didn't know that each section was exactly a hundred words. I didn't notice it throughout the story either, because the writing was natural.

The repetition of “five years before” was really stirring. To me, it made the piece sound angry, and I liked that a lot (maybe I just read this whole thing in an angry voice, though).

I can't really find any negative comments in me, but uhm maybe write another fic soon?
Chasing Silmarils chapter 1 . 6/25/2014
I loved the power behind this. I could definitely feel Johanna's strong emotions as she went through all of that. The reoccurring theme of 'five years ago' was almost chilling, and you interpreted the prompts well.
This was a believable background for Johanna, and it foreshadows a lot - her skill at lying after she kills her father was a nice touch, seeing as she put on such an act in the arena to make the tributes think she was weak. You showed her loss of innocence amazingly (it especially stood out in the ninth section).
One little thing on the final sentence - did you forget a word, or some punctuation, or something? It seems slightly off.
Wonderful writing; keep it up!
Estoma chapter 1 . 6/22/2014
The first review for Caesar's Palace Reviewathon! (feel privileged, tee hee)

How could I not love a story that agreed with my headcanon and used the 100 word drabble form? I couldn't! I really enjoyed this story, for it's surface appearance and for the deeper, personal meaning you've put into it.

At no point does it feel as if you've just added or removed words to reach the 100 word limit; it feels as if each little segment is the perfect length and they flow beautifully.

Your headcanon for Johanna is painful and poignant. There's a really dark theme throughout it, but the last drabble leaves a beautiful positive note, and the chance of rhythm with 'five years after' rather than before adds a nice sense of finality but continues to tie each drabble together. Sometimes these sorts of things can feel a bit disconnected, but by using the same start for each, you have a string connecting each.

Want some specifics? I've nothing negative to say, because we went over this pretty thoroughly. One of my favourite lines would have to be: [His touch is all the protection she needs and his kiss is the kind she always deserved] because I think Johanna deserves a happy ending.

Cheers.
Ibbonray chapter 1 . 6/19/2014
This is lovely. I especially admire how you were able to interpret the prompts without using the words themselves in your writing. Well done.