Reviews for Weeding
Pol chapter 1 . 8/17
This is just fantastic. You put such LIFE into all of them! This is a magnificent glimpse at a part of Aragorn's life often underappreciated. I just love how you paint Ivorwen, the wonderful relationship you give her and Aragorn. Awesome!
phobean chapter 1 . 2/4
Beautifully written and lovely. Thank you for sharing.
Second Coffee chapter 1 . 1/26
Thank you for these stories. I have been curious about Aragorn's days in the North among his own kin, as it seems to be a little explored part of his long life. You write it so wonderfully that it is easy to accept as a sort of secondary canon. I also must compliment you on your Ivorwen, as her snark is superb. Again this story was beautifully written with some lighthearted bits amidst the exploration of emotions and character.
I would be thrilled to see a story about Aragorn and Halbarad um, ranger-ing together. ("Ranging" for some reason did not seem fully appropriate) I can't wait to read more of your work. It is truly a pleasure!
Artura chapter 1 . 11/6/2014
Simply beautiful. The characters and situations are wonderfully brought to life. I came back to your profile because I thought I would find another lovely story, and I did. I don't know what else to say, there were so many things I liked, things that made me smile, and poignant moments, but all the more moving for never saying too much.
iiiionly chapter 1 . 9/19/2014
Yoikes! This was the story I read last night - and wanted to podcast! I thought I'd started at the bottom of the list, with the first posting, but alas, it was the second one up from the bottom! LOL - I told you it was late when I read it!

There are so many things I love about this story I enjoyed, I could fill an entire page, but I'm anxious to go on and read your others, so I will pick out the highlights I loved ...

First of all, I adore your Ivorwen, she is the grandmother I wish I'd had. Reading this, I understand why you liked mine, I think we have a very similar vision of her. Specifically though, I thoroughly enjoyed her self-deprecating humor, her sly wit, and the way she handles her obstinate menfolk so cunningly. While all of those adjectives in a string like that might point to a woman who is manipulative and overbearing, I mean them only as compliments. The beauty of her soul shines through in everything she does; she is a huge credit to her author. I'm well aware it takes a bit more than just stringing together some pretty words to make a character shine like this.

Your diffident, but unmovable, Aragorn is a joy to read as well. Both his leadership aptitude and ability are conveyed without those words ever appearing on screen, the reader knows it on an intrinsic level just from watching his actions.

And I loved the unstated but clearly shown inherited gift of healing passed down from grandmother to grandson.

Beautifully conveyed in both emotion and prose. And I'm checking a bunch of buttons below.

Now I'm hoping that generator keeps that prehistoric internet going as long as you are honing your craft out here in this fandom!

tanis

P.S. This is the story I would like to podcast.
annafan chapter 1 . 7/11/2014
I love the idea of Aragorn stuck on the roof :-) .

As with your other story, the beauty is in the little details - Gilraen the noisy, demanding baby (how well I remember that), missing the warmth of her husband in bed (even we old biddies still like a warm companion in bed), the lovely details of what's in her midwife's bag. Looking forward to your next piece.
Archangel Samuel chapter 1 . 7/9/2014
Perfect last line! :)

I enjoyed this story as much as the last one (maybe even more? I can't decide!) You have such an incredible gift for storytelling!

I loved your descriptions of Ivorwen's everyday activities (I feel like I learned a lot about cooking and gardening!) and her interactions with Aragorn were really entertaining. Picturing Aragorn as "cheeky" and "insolent" puts a smile on my face. I could really feel the affection between them.

You described the family tree very well, especially early in the story. It was clear and easy to understand, and it tied in very well with your other story. The bit about Aragorn's mother was especially cool to read. I had almost forgotten about her and Rivendell!

Really good job! I'm so glad I got this opportunity to read your stuff and get to know you a little. :)
-Samuel
TMI Fairy chapter 1 . 7/2/2014
[ ... found his source of sustenance ... ]
The boy has got his priorities right :)
[... chicken feet ... ]
Yay! Still on sale in my part of the world and used to make stock!
Too many individual gems to comment upon, so I will limit myself to a triple A rating :D
Wonderfully written. I love the detail and the breadth of vocabulary.
A genuine pleasure to read.
Sincerely recommended.
Borys
miladyRanger chapter 1 . 6/16/2014
Beautiful... absolutely beautiful. Thank you.
Su chapter 1 . 6/16/2014
Considering that my refrain for the past five months or so has been "why oh why won't someone other than me write some Ivorwen POV fic," you can only imagine how pleased I was to see this! It's so wonderful seeing someone else's take on the character-I love how no-nonsense she is, and how you convey both her weariness and her resolute nature in one fell swoop. Her relationship with Aragorn is wonderful, and of course, his stubbornness is right on the money.

My favorite part by far was the moment where she contemplates Gilraen's choice, understanding it even as it causes her grief. Well done indeed!
Crookneck chapter 1 . 6/15/2014
Let it be known that seeing an alert that you’d posted another story brightened my week by several very significant lumens. :) I’d been wondering if we’d ever see another of your stories, and I’m so, so happy that your first wasn’t also your last! Let me also say that the title of this story sends shivers down my spine. June is the Month of Weeds, at least here at our farm, and though we battle valiantly every day, so far the weeds have the upper hand. They certainly have more blades than we do! Somehow I don’t think this story will be about pulling thistle and quack-grass…

So here’s me not knowing a thing about the subject again, so had to spend a few minutes looking up who all these people are that you mention in the second major paragraph. I love how you characterize so many people so easily and effectively, and manage to do it so that it’s relevant to the situation. Crafty storytelling! I never would have suspected Aragorn’s mom to be such a firebrand but there you go – I can see it making sense!

OH, wow, this is interesting – I just read Cairistiona7’s story “By Such A Foolish Name”, and the name “Halbarad” was mentioned and I didn’t really think much of it out of the context it was given, but I had no idea who that was, and now here I am reading THIS story, which totally explains who that is… that worked well. I’m learning!

Laughing helplessly now with the introduction of Aragorn. Starting with “And the other grandson… Why is he on the roof?” And going on with her demand to get down, which is SO grandmotherish, and I simply LOVE the phrase “driving a rigid forefinger towards the dirt for emphasis”. Such a great piece of sentence.

I also especially love the craftiness of the sentence that starts with “Ivorwen felt her patience fraying.” I love how it runs from the storyteller’s POV right into Ivorwen’s thoughts without skipping a beat, that adds a lovely tone to the story. I’m not sure why, but it does.

Okay, I love this woman. I love when she snatches the crutches away and carries them like an axe so Aragorn can’t do anything stupid with them on the way to her house. What a fun character she must be to write! You do such a good job with her actions, thoughts, and words, you must have really enjoyed that! Clearly you’ve also got a lot of respect for the character as well… You follow her battle-march back to her house with a paragraph about waking alone in the morning, and the aches that accompany that sort of reality – adding a bit of unexpected but depthful vulnerability. Pretend depthful is a word.

Lol, I was totally going to start some chicken-foot stock today, just like Ivorwen! But instead I took a nap and reviewed fictions. Tomorrow will be stock day. You’ve put in so many details – what her chores are for the day, what to give to the new mother, how things were done – that make this story totally believable and definitely set in a distinct and solid world.

Ha, again with her thoughts running straight in from the storyteller’s POV, with “oh the horror”. I love that. I also definitely laughed at Aragorn’s “I am pulling my weight.” That was such a perfectly-placed sentence, rendered perfectly absurd in the well-constructed context. Oh, Aragorn, you silly man. I totally get Ivorwen’s concerned annoyance at his carelessness, though. Some people are just so gosh darned responsible but heavens to betsy they have to remember to take care of themselves too…

“Sit down there, and don’t… don’t do anything.” Had me in fits… That sounds so, so much like something my own grandmother would say.

If everyone knew as much as this lady does about useful things, I daresay the world would be an altogether healthier and better-behaved place. Just have to say that.

I love how you went about tackling the task of explaining Gilraen’s presence in Imladris, and what Ivorwen thinks of it, and how Ivorwen deals with those same challenges, as a wife and mother and grandmother. I’ve said it before and I’ll gladly say it again, you are a crafty, crafty storyteller! How you put the hefty, meaty bits of the story within something so mundane and graspable as weeding. Weeding and dealing with life’s uncertainties, two completely necessary actions, only one of which is in any way straightforward. That part brought a tear to my eye, I am not ashamed to admit. The paragraph that starts with “Ivorwen understood” struck me especially hard – the writing is so breathtaking, it reminds me of something Bradbury would write, maybe even slightly Lovecraftian near the beginning!

In the end an extremely bittersweet story, which is my favorite sort of story! Told with enough humor to keep me laughing and enough reality for me to be sort of in awe of your abilities and also ready to shed a tear at the drop of a well-placed line… I love all the characters, adore Ivorwen, would be frightened of her if I met her in real life. Frightened but honored. Powerful lady and very powerful story! This review could have been double this in length if I’d pointed out everything that made me laugh, smile, or lean in closer! Thank you for sharing this, and again, I hope we’ll see more from you soon!

-C
Levade chapter 1 . 6/15/2014
Another story from you, huzzah! :D And it didn't notify me - I saw it on Cairi's LJ, thankfully. I'll ramble at you longer later, but this is just so wonderful. Rich with details that make it come alive, and I know very well that you can *see* these people in your mind as you write because I can see them as I read. You have such a gift with words, and I am SO glad you choose to share it with us.
Peace
levade
babschwi chapter 1 . 6/15/2014
What can I add? I enjoyed it very much and it is beautiful written and describes the life of the rangers very precisely. Would love to read more!
Larki13 chapter 1 . 6/14/2014
This is so sweet! And I adore your Ivorwen, she's absolutely perfect.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 6/14/2014
Great to see another story from you. I love your Ivorwen and stubborn Aragorn. I see where he gets it from.A very vivid picture of what it must have been like for the Ranger women.