Reviews for Shadow and Silver
chisscientist chapter 1 . 10/5/2010
This isn't the first time I've read this story, and it still makes me cry. Thank you.
AnnietheHobbit chapter 1 . 8/19/2007
God, you are a good! Never, have I seen Beren and Luthien brought to life so vividly! In this work of art, they're more than just a mortal hero and the most beautiful of elves that just happend to fall inlove; here, you see all the pain, struggle, sorrow, and obstacles, they had to endure so they could keep this love alive. Your description of their personalities is flawless: Beren is a man has seen far more pain and death in his brief, mortal years, yet he still finds the strenght to endure, and Luthien... God, you've shown her to be everything that Tolkein intended her to be. My heart almost stopped when I read your description of her Song releasing the entire island. I can only hope you continue the write, more such treasures as this, beautiful your writing brings such beauty and meaning to this world.
faystar chapter 1 . 8/4/2004
This is...beyond words. What can I say, but that it blew me away? Every description is so terrifyingly real that I found myself drawn in so completely that I had to pull myself away periodically, gasping for breath like a surfacing swimmer, to comprehend the full import of the words. Very, VERY impressive.
Gemgold chapter 2 . 2/11/2003
The charnel house of Tol Sirion... you delve deep here. But the reader who follows is rewarded with all the riches waiting to be found beneath the stark prose of the Silmarillion and those few verses covering this episode in the Lay of Leithian.

If it's disturbing, it's because this is one of the properties of reality. And if it's poetry, it is so not in the sense of beautifully arranged words, but in the ancient and original sense of pure craftsmanship.
Celandine Brandybuck chapter 3 . 11/11/2002
I have almost nothing to say to this - only that it is true poetry.
Oboe-Wan chapter 3 . 11/7/2002
If i had hours... which I dearly wish that I did... I would go back through, and carefully pick out all the images that struck me so deeply, and all the writing that I just couldn't get over the beauty of... but there's just too much, so I'm going to be hard pressed to be specific!

I cried, about half way through, and I don't even remember why. Well, I mean, there are the obvious reasons, but I forget what exactly struck me in exactly the right way.

You have such an ability to write the SAME people in very VERY different manners. But the wisecracking Luthien of the Script is very much the same person as the wild, desperate, and ... well, I don't have words for her. But she's the SAME person. As is Beren. It's as though... they're the same people I've read about in the Silmarillion, and Lays of Beleriand... the same people of Aragorn's song... the same people in my imagination.

(well, aren't I articulate tonight. One of these days I will complete a sentence without ellipses, I promise.)

And this very rich style makes the reader so much a PART of the action, it's quite incredible. We don't JUST hear them, or see them... we FEEL them. Not say that the aspect of seeing them so vividly isn't amazing in its in own right. Just a few of the images that have stuck with me... Sauron's image of Luthien wielding the sickle of stars... Her cloak "like ink dropped into water" - wow. That was just gorgeous. Huan trying to shake the shadow-sludge from his paws as he walked. Beren scrubbing the stone until his fingers bled.

I'm going to stop, or I'll be at it all night. In short, a really amazingly excellent piece that I will find myself coming back to reread. I can't find words to praise it as much as it deserves.