Reviews for The Amazing Peter Parker
Ganheim chapter 1 . 9/28
While the technical aspects (grammar, spelling) were fine, and it's nice to see a story not inundated with passive sentence construction, I don't think the idea works. Cryonics is a pipe dream that isn't immortality, it's a gamble that not only will some future civilization in the area be able to cure whatever condition caused the person to panic and want to be frozen, they'd also be able be able to repair the massive damage of ice crystal formation that's simply too large not to cause widespread cellular trauma. Even if those are solved, death still isn't countered, it's delayed. Sure, he'd make lots of money (people are basically paying him to keep a freezer running. It's even less useful than insurance), but he wouldn't have a beneficial impact like crime prevention would.

If he decided to become a paramedic instead of crime fighter, THAT would've been a direct response to the perceived problem and I could see the same catalyst event inspiring it.

Felt like it might've worked better if it was a Comedy than Sci-Fi.
Bored321 chapter 1 . 6/26
I like it. Made me laugh. Would recommend.
RHJunior chapter 1 . 5/11
Terrible. Simply terrible.

Blaming Uncle Ben's death on a lack of cryonics, of all things- a shoddy, broken quack science based on wishful thinking- instead of on the violent and criminal actions of the man who killed him... that's about as logically cohesive as blaming a hit and run accident on global warming.

And Spider Man was never about REVENGE. It was about him taking the responsibility as an individual with extraordinary, outside-the-paradigm abilities to participate in the social contract by helping others in need. As in "Someone's in danger, I am here and have abilities beyond those of common men- the tools, the talent, the opportunity-so I have a moral obligation to intervene." That, inevitably, would save thousands or (considering the city-wide, worldwide and even cosmic level threats Spidey faced over the years) millions more lives than going around convincing people to stick their severed heads in an icebox, cross their fingers and hope that the power to the freezer doesn't go out in the next 100-plus years.
Avatar Stark chapter 1 . 2/19
…and because there was never a Spider-Man, a cosmic-level super-villain destroyed the Marvel universe the following Thursday afternoon. The end.
Lord Sia chapter 1 . 10/2/2015
Or, you know, joining the police forces, or putting that big brain of his to figuring out more efficient response methods and systems.

Either way, a great snippet.
jdboss1 chapter 1 . 12/22/2014
I love rationalist Fic
PLease Do more then this oneshot

I want Cryonics am 25 and Dont want to think of dieing but if I want Cryonics

I dont want the Cops cuting me open to see how i DIE i want Cryonics (just my head ) cheeper i there if it just the head
I am in the Uk and i have never here Any one haveing IT
My KIDS might be Fuck off it Cost so much I try to to tell couse if they have to Dun they not leave me the money but use it on them being Cryonics
Caleb chapter 1 . 12/2/2014
Best. Fanfic. Ever.
lazyguy90 chapter 1 . 9/6/2014
Hah, funny stuff.

Nice work.
puesyomero chapter 1 . 8/11/2014
Great story! But makes me wonder what a tardigrade bitten Peter would be! On second thought, "radioactive tardigrade" is almost an oxymoron xD
Devil Reader chapter 1 . 8/1/2014
You know if you want an idea to extend this story, then write a continuation where Peter is cryo-preserved after his "death" and write about a rationalist Spiderman in a future world.
Also is there something significant about the spider biting him being a Portia?
Not-Gonna-Update chapter 1 . 7/29/2014
Hah. So Peter Parker turned into... that. Okay. It's quite interesting to read this version of him...

I had fun reading this story, despite the length. It was nice...
The Epitome of Eccentricity chapter 1 . 7/17/2014
The irony of the portia is not lost on me.
Less Wrong chapter 1 . 7/10/2014
Awwwww...

Also, sigh.
EagleJarl chapter 1 . 7/8/2014
Cute. :)

Yeah, when you take a rationalist view on superhero stories they tend to come out pretty different. Either the hero is the rationalist, and doesn't become a superhero, or the other characters are the rationalists and they recognize that the superhero is, at best, ineffective and, at worst, immoral. I'm thinking of Metropolitan Man in particular.

Pity to see that Peter never invented his webbing though. That stuff would be dead useful in the real world.