Reviews for Shadow's Respite
Ectis chapter 6 . 4/25/2013
*tilts head* I'm half believing that Golbez is the Black Knight and Mortis is, I'm assuming, Deathbringer. Course, since this fic seems dead, I suppose I'll never know.
fei.fie.fo.fum chapter 6 . 12/16/2005
damned, i should've found this fic sooner. twas very intriguing, but i got a bit confused with the names. i'm replaying the game on the gameboy advance and my head kinda hurts trying to remember who is who. edward/edge is the ninja right? gilbert's the bard, but somewhere along the line i think you made edward the bard. maybe i should get more sleep or something, i might have misread it.

anyways, love the fic. very grand and all, and it seems to me baigan is once again the pawn of forces that are even greater than he. rather scary thought there. is it part of zemus's curse/revenge thing or is a whole new load of badness taking on these heroes? i hope to see more soon.
ShadyDexter chapter 6 . 6/30/2005
Sweet god, dude. Good stuff. I am very, Very much looking forward to the forth coming chapters.
Shimegami-chan chapter 6 . 6/16/2005
Gorgeous! I sincerely hope to see this finished someday, it's a great read!
BIgMIke524 chapter 6 . 6/9/2005
Hey keep it up. FF4 is my favorite of all the final fantasies and your story is amazing so far. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Please write more soon!

P.S. I can't wait to see the fight between Cecil and the Black Knight...
BIgMIke524 chapter 6 . 6/9/2005

P.S. I can't wait to see the fight between Cecil and the Black Knight...
Nema chapter 6 . 6/3/2005
It's great to see you are still working on this story after all this time, moreso with what seems to be a long drought of FFIV fics recently.

I'm really keen on the idea that Golbez will be fighting as a good guy against either darkside Cecil or tempermental Rydia. I'm also thinkin' Kain might be the dark knight since he wasn't at Rosa's funeral and has yet to been mentioned in the story.

Great story and I'll be looking forward to the next chapter.
CWolf2 chapter 2 . 10/8/2004
The plot is simply amazing. Great work!
CWolf2 chapter 1 . 10/8/2004
Wow I really like this continuation of sorts on ff4. I'm glad Rydia is one of the main characters, she had always been my favorite. This is so good and you're such a good writer.
Nadz chapter 5 . 9/20/2004
Hey TWH, good to see you've updated this! Sorry I've been AWOL for a while; I'd been on a long vacation, then work started :p Anyway, I'm loving this story so far! I actually really like how you've focused on the magic users (Rydia and the Twins, makes things much more intriguing given their background). Even more intriguing is Porom's relationship with the Separatists. What I really like is how you describe a scene from the game as a flashback; really adds depth to that scene and gives a good foundation for what is to come. Keep up the fantastic work! Sorry I can't give you any CC - I think it's great as it is. Update soon!
Titania chapter 5 . 8/29/2004
I'm glad to see that you are still updating this - the concept of the story is still a very unique one. I like the interaction between Cecil and Rydia which fits in nicely with the flashbacks. Also, your interpretation of the grown-up twins is quite vivid.

I needed some time though, to get used to your ideas concerning the political structures on the Blue Planet, which has mainly to do with the fact that the game doesn't provide the player with much information in this respect. But I guess filling out the blanks is something fanfiction is for. So no harm in that, just don't forget the characters over the politics! ;)

But I guess I do not need to fear this - my tired eyes were happy to see that Golbez is in this story! Continue quickly - I have to know what role he plays in all this! Nice work as usual; I hope that it gets some more reviews! :)

T
Stealth Noodle chapter 5 . 8/20/2004
Yay, new chapter! :) I continue to like where this is going; since you mentioned that the "echo" isn't an original character, I'm quite curious as to who it might be. The liberties you took with Cecil and Rydia's classes interest me, and I think that they work well. The only small quibble I have is the association of Dark Knights with mercy. While it makes sense for a Dark Knight to draw power from the Judge of the Dead to administer justice, it doesn't make as much sense for them to have anything to do with mercy, which is injust by definition. Also, given Cecil's own character growth in the game ("Justice is not the only right in this world"), it seems to me that a strict parallel between Dark Knights and justice might work better. And since the attack on Mysidia was unjust, the Judge of the Dead could still be upset with Cecil over it. Just my two cents.

I've got a few nitpicks for this chapter:

[as she asked further, "what if they don't get there in time?"] should have a capital "what."

["Excuse me for a minute..." he stood up and walked out] should have the "he" capitalized.

[they traveled to Mysidia where through their own industry, brought new life into the once fledgling hamlet] reads a little more smoothly as [they traveled to Mysidia, where through their own industry, they brought new life into the once fledgling hamlet].

[Everyone at the conference, including the royal family were burned to death] is missing a comma after [family]. Also, "were" should be "was," since it refers to "everyone."

By the way, I really like the phrase "You may as well try to bring the Lunarian Moon back." It just fits the world very well.

[She could care less of their shocked expressions as one of the red mages stood, "What are you referring to, councilwoman?"] is a bit of an awkward construction. The comma after [stood] should be a period, but it's the [She could care less of their shocked expressions] part that trips me up. You might want to have one sentence describing her unapologetic shocking of the council, then another in which the red mage stands.

In [Porom slammed the offensive piece of paper in front of him, "I was just informed], the comma ought to be a period.

[Maester Dakat Prigmore stood up with a contrary air, "Is that really wise, Councilwoman?] either needs either a period after "air" or an "and said".

[In case you have forgotten, Dakat. We had little to nothing] should be all one sentence, as in [In case you have forgotten, Dakat, we had little to nothing].

[“And a couple hundred smacks to the head from an overly violent sister.
ribbed not ripped chapter 4 . 7/14/2004
Wow, this is good, really good. Too bad that ROsa's dead now. Eh, not that it really matters to me. Never liked her much, to her her chronic case of damsel in distress syndrome.

Err, in any case please update soon. I can't wait to see where this is gonna go.
Brutal2003 chapter 4 . 5/14/2004
Its been a long time but I'm really glad you're still writing.
Stealth Noodle chapter 4 . 5/14/2004
Yay, another chapter! :) I really like the funeral and the description of Baronian customs; the "all alike in death" bit was particularly nice. I also enjoyed Palom and Porom's scene together. Very nice characterization of them, and of everyone, really, especially Rydia and Cecil. I'm looking forward to seeing where the plot goes from here, now that things have quite literally gotten explosive. :)

I've got a few grammar nitpicks, and I caught a few typos, too. I'll also mention that there are a handful of cases of non-speech verbs being used as speech tags (e.g., "Gilbert nodded solemnly, 'How could I not?'"), but not too many. I think I saw a case or two of capitalization disappearing when dialogue started, too.

There's one use of "apprehensive to," which sounds a bit awkward to me. "Or" or "toward" might work better.

In "Though tempting as it was to look down," the "though" doesn't really fit.

I found "was nearly drove." I think the "was" is accidental.

"The once vibrant forest it once was" would probably read better with only one "once."

"It was so hard to imagine someone that she'd known for so long to just pass away so abruptly" feels a little clunky to me. I think "to just" would be better as "would just."

"Land of Summon Monsters" shows up once instead of "Land of Summoned Monsters."

"She noted, though, were he sober; he would not find it as funny" strikes me as a bit off. Something to the order of "She noted, though, that were he sober, he would not find it as funny" might be smoother.

I caught "a fit of peak," which I think ought to be "a fit of pique."

"It was supposed to be Cecil the one in there" confuses me a bit. "The one in there was supposed to be Cecil," perhaps? Or "Cecil was the one who was supposed to be in there"?

In "the Executor of the Royal House in not excluded," "in" probably ought to be "is."

Once again, I'm enjoying the fic and looking forward to the next chapter. Things should be quite interesting...