Reviews for A bitter winnowing
iiiionly chapter 1 . 9/19/2014
i was imagining, as I counted footsteps beside Faramir, the courage it took just to take the first step down the long corridor of those following eyes. To pace that well-known territory with shoulders back and head held high, knowing one alone would speak up on your behalf.

Angst runs like a river through this piece, but courage bathes its fevered brow through every step and stride.

Hauntingly lovely.

tanis
Ygrain33 chapter 1 . 8/13/2014
This is such a strong moment, and the way you interweave the fears of the future with the memories of the past is so poignant.
Darkover chapter 1 . 8/8/2014
Dear sian22: This story may be brief, but it was still deeply moving. I very much like the introspective POV you employed here, and IMO your version of Faramir's emotional state was profoundly accurate. You have a descriptive style, and I appreciated your use of the old-fashioned word "afeared." Your quotes from Shakespeare and Sigfried Sassoon's poetry were also an inspired touch, as was the historical note at the end. If this is an example of what kind of LotR fiction you can write, I hope you will submit more stories to the challenges at Teitho! Thank you for writing and posting this one, and take care. Sincerely, Darkover
ladypeter chapter 1 . 7/28/2014
Just beautiful! Well done.
Levade chapter 1 . 7/25/2014
Oh my stars. You packed some very powerful emotions and very beautiful writing into 1,329 words - and that's with the quotes! I am welling up, and hearing that song in my head from the movie, seeing that last impossible charge. You captured Faramir so beautifully. So poignant. He really is an amazing character, if quietly so, and it was really my pleasure to read this. I'll re-read it often. Congratulations on the first!
nyx thranduillon chapter 1 . 7/21/2014
This is an absolutely awe inspiring piece of writing. It blew me away when I first read it at Teitho and I must admit afterwards to looking at my own submission and feeling a sense of inadequacy.
I love the lyrical lilt to it and your writing style is just superb. I can't begin to say which parts I liked most as I would have to cite the whole story! I am so glad you have posted it here so that I can have a chance to say how much I love it. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)
eurekac chapter 1 . 7/19/2014
You're back online! :) This is so sad and beautiful. No wonder it won first place ;)
annafan chapter 1 . 7/19/2014
I agree -this was just in a different league to the rest of the submissions (to anyone else reading: Sian is too modest to make a song and dance about it, but this won first place in the Teitho challenge "No Time"). Not that I want to underplay the other submissions, just that this was of a quality rare in fanfic... very, very rare. It's hard to pick out a favourite bit, but I'd say the couple of sentences about swimming in Anduin with his brother. There is something about the phrase "washed of our innocence" that somehow encapsulates the psychological cost of war. Beautiful!
EverleighBain chapter 1 . 7/18/2014
Good grief this is excellent. I read and re-read it at Teitho and voted it a head and shoulders above the competition. The rhythm of your sentences makes me want to read it out loud. I would repeat my favorite excerpts here in this review but I think I'd just end up copy-and-pasting the whole dang piece.
I'l settle for adding it to my favorites. A very worthy first place, and I won't soon forget your haunting lyricism.

Thank you for sharing! I'm so glad you posted it here as well so I could let you know how much I enjoyed it!

Blessings,