Reviews for Magic Online
reddir chapter 5 . 7/18/2021
These last two chapters have been kind of amazing. Got my feelings in overdrive.

It is nice that Harry has Agil who is both able and willing to be emotionally caring as well as being able to notice what Harry is going through and what he needs.
Panda.k1ng chapter 1 . 7/12/2021
This is an amazing intro. I love the thought of escapism, and that’s the main reason SAO spoke to me so much (despite its subpar writing)
reddir chapter 2 . 7/4/2021
You did a nice job at the end here, I can actually feel a bit of Harry's relief and sense of safety.

Also, a nice contrast to all the other peoples' panic and despair.
Kira Akuma chapter 36 . 6/30/2021
Okay, I gotta admit the end of that chapter made me tear up quite a bit
dadg12346 chapter 46 . 5/31/2021
Cool story.
comodo50 chapter 46 . 5/21/2021
This is a great story and hope that at some point you can continue it, altought a review 3 years later after last update seems kinda hopeless.
AutumnWolf90 chapter 46 . 5/7/2021
THIS IS AMAZING! I enjoyed getting to know the characters and the world of Sao. was truly horrified on Harry's behalf on how the English wizards couldn't help him or understand anything of what he was going through. Happy that his family are trying to help him get better. Curious about the time travel... Thank you for this wonderfulness!
Violet Chloe Snow chapter 2 . 5/5/2021
On some degree, I really like the way you handled the issue of his relatives potentially pulling the plug; but on the other...is his body being kept alive entirely by magic?

If he's been hidden from pretty much all of reality until the time for Hogwarts rolls around (assuming, of course, the blood wards can't hide him from manipulative old men); his body's going to be in that cupboard for a long damn time.
Spade Zi chapter 46 . 4/30/2021
Just a Spade casually dropping by and begging for Author-san to pretty please continue this fic
Spade Zi chapter 1 . 4/29/2021
Just a Spade casually dropping by and feeling rather excited for this fic
Grim ShadowFrost chapter 46 . 4/13/2021
I'm not one for reviewing ,but OMG this and Mystic Knight Online are two of my favorite HP/SAO fan fics . you have had me on the edge of my seat and biting my nails. please update this story I'm interested in what you write.
Silroc chapter 1 . 4/9/2021
Thoroughly enjoyed this story! Such a unique take on both worlds, and the way James' magic took on the semblance and mechanics of the world of SAO. I really hope this isn't dead or discarded, I'd love to see more about both his resolution to his current condition and his budding relationship with Hermione, as well as more interactions with the SAO-crew! Your characters seem full and real, despite being obviously non-canon. More, please!
Dr Gero chapter 46 . 3/25/2021
Ah, finally reached the end. Overall I like the plot a lot as well as most of the characters. During certain times we shift from plot to explainations, where the story gets a bit bogged down. Maybe it's not as obvious when reading a chapter at a time but going straight through it can be a lot to get through.
Harry's unique method of magic mixed with SAO is fun. I did prefer earlier on in the story when there was a focus on his traps, creative solutions and non-direct confrontations; at some point he became able to take on anyone and lay siege to magical castles, which felt a little unearned to me. I can love a powerful!Harry story as long as it's in small enough steps and develops naturally. Surprising and getting the better of someone using his unknown abilities is one thing and I like it, but around the 3rd task I think he kind of feels like any magical warrior in action scenes. I also understand and like the difficulties Harry is facing reintegrating back into the world, that the trauma of SAO forced him into a sort of stunted growth. That said, sometimes he's aware he's acting like a child which is good (the whole "real" mental age stuck in a 9 year old body thing), other times he's being kind of repetitive and there's no indication he's aware of it.
The dynamic between Harry, Hermione and the others were my favorite parts, as you write Harry adjustingstruggling very well. Luna and a couple others did feel like they drifted in and out without a real focus, which I assume is wanting to include them but not having much for them to do, so I understand.
I'm not sure where we would go moving forward, but wishlist items would be Hermione supporting Harry as the damage is worked on (and Harry going out of his way to support his M&M friends without prompting would be a cute character development). As well as seeing the others using their new interfaces and learn if they can track info and develop their skills like Harry, and if learning spells in a new game would translate to real spells for him, assuming he would ever let himself be strapped into a new headset.
Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this! I look forward to your future work!
Dr Gero chapter 41 . 3/24/2021
I have to be honest, this chapter was really hard to get through. There's so much informationexposition that at one point while I was listening along, I had to stop and check my place in the chapter because I thought I was in a long author note. Afterwards I started skimming; it doesn't feel natural and feels really overcomplicated.
For a while it's kind of felt like there's two stories here, one about Harry being sucked into SAO with it affecting his magic in a unique way and a super!Harry story where he's the best at everything. Tying the two together (which it seems like this chapter is doing) feels needlessly complicated and everything aligns just a little too perfectly. The big affinity aspect and family magic this chapter introduces is very convenient and mostly out of left field, esp for the importance it has in the story.
I don't mean to be a total downer, I have enjoyed a lot of the story. And I have figured out some of my mixed feelings: When we're having most of our slow moments, the day to day and this Harry figuring out the world and interacting with his friends, I really like it. The general plot beats, the challanges Harry is presented and how he creatively uses his power and skills to solve them, as well as most characterizations not related to the big plot moments- people usually feel very natural. That makes the unnatural or out of character moments stand out a lot more. A lot of big moments feel forced to me unfortunately: Lucius casting the killing curse in front of a full room (and then getting a pardon), DD attacking Sirius, some of the arguments involving Harry and the nature of M&M (great title by the way), etc. It feels like actions and conflict that happen because the plot says so rather than a character taking the most likely route based on their personality and available knowledge. But that's not always the case and particularly Harry, Hermione and Neville have usually felt very natural, even a lot of the Dumbledore scenes when he's not interacting with Harry for the purposes of isolating him further.
Finally, and I know no one asked, I think the explanation for the interface effects, Harry's SAO abilities and his stunted growth could be simplified greatly to mostly the same affect by simply emphasizing the intent behind the magic rather than long explanations about unspeakable affinities and perfect pure hearted family lines that suddenly change the world 41 chapters in and apparently doesn't manifest in anyone else.
Harry was in a unique position when entering SAO, mentally and being magical. Rather than blood wards warping reality and wiping memories and all that, when Harry gets stuck in-game he could just accidentally cast a powerful notice-me-not on his door in his fear of being caught. "Forgetting" about the door and never seeing the boy, they would likely think he ran away and say good riddance, never putting much thought into it. When Harry's body starts to fail his magic could do the stasis to preserve him and incorporate the system with his magic, and then his magic could react to his active and in-distress mind. Possibly giving him the wounds and scars because it's now so real to him. His stunted growth could be his absolute certainty he was just an avatar and avatars don't change, so his magic forced it like his hair regrowing in canon, just refreshed daily.
The only downside and biggest change would be the dark magic angle, with no immunity to the killing curse. Which would be good frankly, as stakes haven't felt serious since the end of the 2nd task imo.
I don't mean to go on or "fix" the story, it's just that while I like the story I feel like I could love it if just X, Y and Z were different, you know? You have a lot of potential and I appreciate all the work and effort you've put into this.
Dr Gero chapter 27 . 3/23/2021
Yay, someone is getting through to him! I've got mixed feelings overall so far but I really enjoyed that scene with Harry and Hermione. They also play well off each other and make for some cute scenes.
On one hand I thought the ending of the previous year got a little too dark too quickly, but I like the idea of different horcruxes making their way to Hogwarts and being a sort of yearly boss. Really gives off a video game vibe. Speaking of, out of the Gamer and similiar stories I've read, I don't think I've seen the idea of other people gaining access to an interface for anything besides party quests before. That's a really fun idea and I love that it's spread through friend requests.
3,486 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »