Reviews for Seaside Conversations
Jenn Calaelen chapter 1 . 7/6/2012
Great story! I really like the way you foreshadow events to come in this, as well as all the worldbuilding. I really like the idea of Gildor watching over the family of the Princes Of Dol Amroth! :)
Mirasaui chapter 1 . 5/27/2004
Wonderful story, as all of yours are! I am working my way up the ladder to "Awakening".
Dora Mugworts chapter 1 . 12/23/2003
Oh, very cool! Very original idea to have Gildor be the Lord of Edhellond - in FotR he wasn't there much, and I for one thought he was very cool. Nice addition to have the Dol Amroth children spending time with him. :-)
I REALLY like Tirathiel. She seems - and did in Captain My Captain - like a very tough, smart woman who takes no guff. I liked her being called an Elf-friend, and having intellectual sparring matches with Denethor. What makes her most interesting to me was that she never married, which would have given her a more independent personality and by this point lifestyle.
Good job! :-)
Adara of Middle Earth chapter 1 . 12/14/2002
Beautifully done. Just the hint of doom and great deeds to come. I like that you didn't get too heavy handed about it. Imrahil and I seem to share the same take on immortality. I like that you noted that someone who has seen a lot of pain and death would not want to live forever. Yet the Elves do, so they must have strong constitutions to survive so much and remain sane. I grew up thinking Elves were merry, fun-loving little imps, but Tolkien's Elves seem grim and anything but merry. Even given the age. Your Gildor is that way, but totally in keeping with Tolkien's depiction. He seems to be someone who has lived too long and seen too much.

Anyway, I like this story. Especially the reference to Denethor and his feelings toward Elves. I can just imagine! And it's nice to be able to finish a story in one reading. Although-now I want another chapter with Imrahil and Gildor. How about a short story of Imrahil's two years spent in Edhellond? I now want to know more about Imrahil's misspent youth. Isabeau's Imrahil spoke of wild things in his younger days. Would probably make a good read.
Archet chapter 1 . 12/9/2002
I quite liked this story. The relationship between your Imrahil and Gildor feels very unique and special and I'm glad that I got a glimpse of it. From the beginning where Imrahil is feeling tired and fairly low, to his gladness at Gildor's appearance, to Imrahil’s rather rebellious youth, to the ending line (which may be my favorite) was very interesting to read. I found the quiet foreshadowing tone, shot through with the genuine moments of kinship between the two very lovely and involving.

Another interesting read! As always, thanks for sharing. :)
Casey chapter 1 . 11/13/2002
A nice conversation, I must say, with both characters depicted realistically. I like the idea that Imrahil was like everyone in his teens, having trouble with his parents and Gildor letting him stay...it somehow shows that Gildor has a softer side too. :)
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 11/12/2002
At last I had time to read it! Beautiful and in-detail, as usual, what can I say? You will be getting tired of hearing so many times how well you write. And Gildor was cutest than ever _ Its strange, Tolkien showed him in LoTR as someone not very worried about the fate of the world, who only wanted to reach the Havens and go away. You give him a completely new twist, but, well, what could we expect of *your* Gildor?

Also, found hints about Denethors family life very interesting.
Isabeau of Greenlea chapter 1 . 11/11/2002
Oh, Soledad, thank you so much for my birthday prezzie! After all, there can never be too much Imrahil fiction! I really liked the custom of fosterage you put forward, and the idea that Imrahil stayed with the Elves for two years because he wasn't getting along with papa. I also liked your take on Tirathiel, and will make my story follow suit, if you don't mind. It was great fun to see my Imrahil and your Gildor together at last, though I do feel really sorry for Gildor, sticking around for vengeance sake, when you know he'd rather be over the Sea. Nice description of Faramir as seen through his uncle's eyes, too. Sigh. I am so spoiled.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 11/10/2002
I just wanted to add to my earlier review of your draft version.

"Gildor cocked his head to one side and scrutinized him in a strange, bird-like manner – an arcane gesture that he had unknowingly picked up from his Silvan subjects. It usually unnerved people – particularly mortals – very much."

I love this line, and the picture it brings to mind. I can imagine Legolas driving Gimli crazy with such a habit. Very nice detail.
vorondis chapter 1 . 11/10/2002
This brings out the difference between Elf and Mortal quite well without having the two characters lose their individuality. Gildor is LotR Gildor with an edge (which Frodo may have missed because he had other things on his mind); Imrahil is LotR Imrahil pure, a mature man who has not and will not forget his youth, and accepts himself as he is. I also liked Tirathiel very much, despite the briefness of her appearance.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 11/9/2002
So, now we see Gildor on his way to becoming the bewildering riddler we know and love from LoTR. But still charming, as always. Imrahil's cute, too. I very much like Imrahil's thoughts about Denethor. They must have had a fascinating relationship.
Finch chapter 1 . 11/9/2002
Yay! More Gildor... But I liked Imrahil a lot, too, and the Iron Lady has presence!

The conversation itself, with Imrahil fondly remembering Edhellond (will we see more of this?) and Gildor envisaging an important role for himself in the struggle against Sauron (of course he would), remained fascinating all the way through.
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 11/8/2002
Oooh, interesting. I like the descriptions of Imrahil and Gildor, and Tirathiel is a cool lady indeed. The dialogue flows smoothly and their body language adds to the interesting interaction between the two. Nice work.
snicklepop chapter 1 . 11/8/2002
In your hands, Gildor is so interesting! I love to hear about his past, and what motivates him. Imrahil is one of my favorites, as well. You have created a nice relationship between the two characters. Does your imagination not rest? It seems that you are all over Middle Earth, giving us insight to unusual characters. Thanks again!
Cirdan chapter 1 . 11/8/2002
I always love the way you write Gildor. He has more personality than most other characters in any story. He's also not your fluffy nice Elf, as seen by that little glint in his eye when Imrahil remembered his youthful crush. Heehee. Poor Imrahil. Tirathiel is an interesting character, especially because women do often run the household and everday matters but that's not always seen or explicitly stated. I love Gildor's impatience and apparent closeness to Imrahil and all the Princes of Dol Amroth. I like seeing Gildor play detective, trying to figure out what's going on in the world but not being able to get any direct answers because the entire matter is secret. And, of course, he figures it out and isn't going to be left out of the great matters! I'd love to see the follow up story with Gildor at the Council. Gildor has that same sense of greatness that touches all of Tolkien's most important characters. I love it. And Imrahil does a good job of dealing with him, so he gets plenty of credit for that. :)