Reviews for The Ballad of the Hunter
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/10/2005
Dark and haunting, and not the least bit awkward. Oh, I want to find a tune that fits!
Daughter Mestizo chapter 1 . 10/21/2004
Beautiful. Very nicely done. Every one in a while, there will be a line in people's poems where they add an extra beat (or take one away) because they can't think of anything else to switch it with. Not so here. It was on the beat the whole way.

I'm so obsessed with teh Silmarillion right now. I should write a fic about it. Prolly Fingon/Maedhros. BTW, I'm going to read your next!

D-M
Evenstar Elanor chapter 1 . 10/17/2004
eerily beautiful; great haunting sense to it. the stanza about the "sister leaving home taking no one along" reminded me a lot of Aredhel, how she strayed into the woods and met Eol, and u know what happens from that.

the italics help the mood and it's truly a nice piece.
jojo11 chapter 1 . 6/6/2004
wow, i really love this!

"Speakers, Quendi, pray do not stray,

Lest the Hunter come to take you away"

you manage to tell countless stories untold with these few lines!
Werecat99 chapter 1 . 1/27/2004
Beautiful. Simply beautiful.
emeldir chapter 1 . 11/26/2002
It's half past eleven and crude words must suffice, but... You worked with the form, and I dig that. And I've tried singing it. Your attempt at imitation was a successful one- it's really good :)
jillian baade chapter 1 . 11/13/2002
Oh, oh liked this. I can't verse to save myself, and this really feels like one of the ancient songs of the first elves Tolkien hints at bu never really mentions. Very clever, very dark and scary, no doubt as you intended!
Ellipsis chapter 1 . 11/11/2002
Very nice, Finch. I'm no poet, so anything like this impresses me a great deal. It's easy to imagine Elves softly singing this song late at night. "But who shall be gone, and who shall stay,When the Hunter comes to take us away?" Great last line.

- Ellipsis, who now has thoughts of sorrowful elves in her mind...
Celandine Brandybuck chapter 1 . 11/11/2002
Multiple meanings inherent in nearly every line - I like that. In that context it may almost be too complex for a medieval ballad, though! ;-)
Altariel chapter 1 . 11/11/2002
Beautifully written and thought-provoking. Thank you.
Artanis chapter 1 . 11/11/2002
WOW! This is so beautiful. I can imagine an Elda sat by the river, his glowing features lightened the moonless night. I could hear him sang it again and again while his tears streaming down from his eyes as he remembered his lost love.

and the chorus keeps breaking my heart. But who shall be gone and who shall stay...

It's very Elvish, sad but melancholy.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 11/10/2002
The song obviously would have been written with real sorrow behind it, for those who were lost at Cuivienen. Even at the end the singer seems yet a bit uncertain - the Hunter is not what they thought, but there seems to be still some question as to whether he can be trusted.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 11/9/2002
What is amazing here is how you manage to get us to think that one thing is happening while in fact it is the opposite - like the protagonists do - even those of us who have read the story and ought to know better. I was certainly shaken by the ending. You make sense of the psychology of the Elves at a critcal moment, and help us feel how they must have felt. And the writing here really does have the feel of a folksong.
alena chapter 1 . 11/9/2002
This is very original and wonderfully written! Extremely haunting.

"Who shall be gone and who shall stay

When the Hunter comes to take us away?"

That just sends shivers up and down my spine...
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 11/9/2002
Very beautiful..For some odd reason I love ballads. And this one seemed truly medieval to me, not only because of the form, but mainly about the subject, characteristically a warning about supernatural powers that I suppose should have been transmitted orally among the first Elves. It reminded me terribly about the warnings about death and temptation of true medieval poems, and, even in stories I like, I rarely find true ancient echoes such as this in the world of fanfiction.

Curiously, you have made me eager to look back to the First Days, when I have so much to do now with all those incomplete fics...!