Reviews for Albus Potter and the Chaos Contagion
dan.dunkin chapter 17 . 2/26
please tell me you named that character "de Rière" because she's an ass
I stopped at the hiatus last time, but man I'm glad off just read the last 6, one left and I cant wait to read it
The Glitch chapter 6 . 10/10/2016
The end of that chapter just has me saying "Jesus fucking Christ." Hellcrawlers are terrifying as well. Probably the scariest thing in this series so far.
AdamHeatherly chapter 23 . 9/19/2016
HI been revisiting the series as I forgot about it in your hiatus between the final two! Amazing I was starting to guess that Desulgeon was to be Albus's "Snape" if you will but Wilcox was not on my radar AT ALL you truly do the fandom proud unlike whoever convinced Jo the cursed child would work
puretapatricia chapter 24 . 8/23/2016
this is exciting
puretapatricia chapter 24 . 8/23/2016
I expected desulgon to go insane to be honest
puretapatricia chapter 3 . 8/22/2016
Sorry for the bother but you made a mistake in here; Gilderoy lockhart was a griffindor according to pottermore
shiiki chapter 23 . 8/20/2016
Okay, I hope I got this straight. Desulgon cast the spirit guard devoctrix to save Albus, but as he did it without a catalyst, he fell to the chaos contagion? But when Albus did it last book, he didn't ... so was it because Desulgon had cast too many already? And the chaos contagion returning to Wilcox didn't make him go insane evidently, but why not? (Wasn't that what happened to Swait?) This stuff is fascinating, but difficult to keep straight!

I am in awe of your use of the Toupeepop though. That was a perfect save, and I'm impressed since the groundwork for the Toupeepop had been laid since book 1. That takes some skill!

I'm so worried for all the characters-they are all plunged into the darkness with this finishing chapter, but what a finale it is! The tension and sense of there being a ticking clock, the removal of Albus's protectors, the sense that this is the real world now. It was all very well put together.
shiiki chapter 22 . 8/20/2016
Oh boy, this review is perhaps going to be a bit harsh, because much as I like your writing and this story, the big reveal was a disappointment for me. Wilcox as the mastermind behind everything just didn't make sense to me, both logically and emotionally. I think the biggest issue was how he had consistently acted over six books: characters develop personality and consistent characterisation, and to completely overturn that and announce that the entire characterisation was false, for the sake of an unexpected reveal ... For me that was the equivalent of the kind of ending where it's revealed that everything was just a dream, not real after all. I'm a fan of mysteries that are solvable except that the author has very cleverly distracted the reader, rather than throwing a twist out of the blue, and I felt this was the latter. (Then again, this was one of my complaints about The Da Vinci Code too, so if there's a compliment in here, I guess it's that you're on par with that best seller!)

However, in this criticism is also the praise for the way you have developed all your OCs, to the point that I can feel their characterisation and need to defend what I've read about them. I'm involved with the major OCs and that's why this twist affects me so much. Which means you are certainly doing your characterisation very right!

And I also have to say, though I disliked Wilcox's reveal, I found myself entirely captivated by the tale he told under Veritaserum!
shiiki chapter 21 . 8/20/2016
Eftan's hit the nail on the head here-how does anyone know who to trust? It's a recurring theme in this series and it raises serious questions every time, so I'm glad Eftan raised it.

And then there's Exo ... Oh, the things he goes through just breaks my heart.
shiiki chapter 20 . 8/20/2016
Gee, Albus is pretty harsh on Desulgon isn't he? But I can see why, given the stuff Desulgon pulled as IMW. I don't think Desulgon is quite as bad as Albus sees him, though. I think he's just a fascinating, very complex character.

Yay duelling tournament again! And I was very pleased that Alec won. He definitely deserves it; the work he's put into his duelling skills was incredible and I very much like that Albus's friends each have their niche areas and skills, rather than having one person be the superhero.
shiiki chapter 19 . 8/20/2016
You know, I was just wondering where Neville had got to when he showed up in this chapter, yay! I do lament the lack of Neville in this story; you had him set up as a potentially strong character in earlier books, what with his duelling Ingot in the old days, but I guess that was one of the threads that couldn't be built on, understandably. There is already plenty in here! Good to see the return of Desulgon, and Teddy as his 'conscience' in a way. I kept forgetting that they were the same age! Desulgon in this chapter is more keeping with his original character, and the explanation of Teddy taking his place makes sense and fits with the out of character moments for him ... but still doesn't cover for last year. I can see now though that his jovial, energetic personality does hide some potentially sociopathic tendencies. I would guess that like Exo, Desulgon could easily be swayed to go dark. And I don't blame Albus for suspecting him. In fact, I really can't imagine that there's anyone left that the Potter family would trust! (I was surprised that Su Jun was described that way.) After all the betrayal and heartbreak, it just doesn't seem wise to trust anyone at all without solid proof. And even evidence is not what it seems in your story, with all the polyjuicing and good acting.

But despite all that, Albus's friends seem to break the mould as their loyalty to him shine through. It's a stark contrast against the fickleness of the other characters in this universe.
shiiki chapter 18 . 8/20/2016
I thought you tackled the Felix Felicis well! You got across the quirky randomness of the potion's effects that we saw in canon, and that's a style that I think is difficult to emulate, so well done!

It was really sweet to see all Albus's friends (and classmates-wow, Riley may be an arse mostly but his heart is ultimately in the right place) gather around with support in the wake of what everyone thinks was Harry's death.

And Auchland as the Man in the Shadows does make more sense than anyone else. It has the qualities of an unexpected reveal, along with the oh yeah, I could have seen that if I hadn't been blinded by the ex-head Auror bit. I think I would have believed it more to have been him.
shiiki chapter 17 . 8/19/2016
Man, that interrogation by De Riere. (Was the pun on the name intended?) On one hand, yes, her words are right. On the other, her actions, the way she threatens Albus, run contradictory to all she is saying. I found it ironic that she was lecturing about the ends not justifying the means, while pulling that same crap herself, terrorising Albus 'for the greater good'. And that's pretty real-it's very human to not realise how hypocritical we're being!
shiiki chapter 16 . 8/19/2016
Best parts of this chapter: Albus talking to Eftan and the brothers connecting. You do the conversations that play on the deep bonds between family and friends well, I always enjoy seeing the strong connection you manage to convey!