Reviews for Following the Phoenix
CmeClearLee chapter 1 . 10/9
This story is very well written and it mimics the original authors style greatly. The ending is also much more satisfying with most issues resolved. I hope to enjoy more by this talented writer.
Pandanaman chapter 37 . 8/21
Just finished reading. It's been about a two years since i finished the original HPMOR but this really re-ignited my interest. This ending was way more satisfying and well written. Since Harry's goal is to solve all of the problems in the universe; not just the immediate problems he faces, it would be hard to write an ending to such a story. And I think you handled that problem quite a bit better. Everything flowed together neatly.
lGrl0hwI9pfg8YLidY42 chapter 1 . 7/26
Absolutely brilliant, I preferred this ending to the original HP:MoR ending in several ways.
Jenex chapter 37 . 7/20
Thank you so much for writing this alternate ending of HPMoR. :)

In many ways I find it preferable over the original HPMoR ending (not to say that I don't respect that one as well). It feels like the characters have begun acting outside of Harry or Tom's direct influence and as an aspiring story-teller I absolutely love your take on them. I can only hope to one day have as much imagination and experience in writing my own scifi stories as you portrayed here.

The stakes became much higher than I expected in a good way, and I love the hopeful conclusion with The Man Who Lived and specialists overseeing the fall of the Statute of Secrecy and science/magic research. Harry's right - he should not be trusted with such authority (well, no-one should, but Harry in particular) and I'm glad that he acknowledges his own inexperience and flaws.

If you ever read this, I'm quite curious to hear your opinion of Tom Riddle's character motivations in HPMoR, Hermione's story arc, Professor McGonagell's character arc, the Mirror, the Stone, the Sirius/Peter twist, Malfoy reveal, and the actual conclusion with Harry ending up with such power and influence. :))))

I have one comment regarding your epilogue (which I absolutely love for Tom Riddle) because I don't quite understand it. Why would people in a world in which resurrection, immortality and space travel are possible desire to revive the horrors of human history solely for revenge? I cannot imagine a society that can do those things would actively bring people back from the dead only to guarantee them an eternal lifetime of suffering - even despite Harry/Ignotus' patents and political pressure against the society they lived in. I get that the people whom suffered at their hands are also alive, and that horrible, horrible things were done to them, but I still don't get it.

If those evils have no life to live, then they shouldn't live at all - a society which actively seeks to make the dead suffer doesn't seem... well, enlightened or compassionate enough to deal with resurrection responsibly in which every move, every choice and every hurt is permanent if not in memory than by the kind of people who desire to make it happen.

Well, that's the only thing that made me raise my brow.

You have found a fan in me. I reread your story already and probably will do so again in the future. :)
hypnoticageregression chapter 37 . 6/26
this was a beautiful and wonderful ending. thank you
AvatarBuddha chapter 37 . 4/28
Thank you for this work. This is a beautiful path from EY's work and I am thankful to have stumbled on this treasure. I hope to see more from you, and I look forward to reading Flashes.
stonyshovelface chapter 6 . 4/27
This story is brilliant. I have my final exams in a few hours though. I really wish I hadn't stumbled upon it. I just can't put my phone down. Sigh!
Myketje chapter 37 . 3/14
loved it! thank you for sharing!
Macdutton chapter 37 . 3/2
Mate. I am blown the fuck away. I realise this was finished 2 and a half years ago or so but... This was something else, building on what HPMOR was and introduced me to this, and taking it in interesting new directions. Congratulations on one hell of a story, and thank you for sharing it.
Brickman chapter 37 . 2/8
This was a very good story all the way through. In some ways I actually liked it better than the end of the original. Riddle's actions (both before and after the split) seem more in line with his goals, and his goals don't rely on facts hidden from the reader or dramatically change multiple times. And the ending has him defeated by the sum of everyone's efforts, and by being forced to overextend, rather than grabbing an idiot ball.
Gaius Verres chapter 27 . 1/30
Hey, this is more a response to this chapter's author's note than a review. I think you'll find that many governments, sane and insane have done this. In the modern world it may seem a little odd but historically communication was slow and often not particularly secure.

Imagine if peace agreements in say the Napoleonic era required government assent for any change to the terms a diplomat originally went to negotiate. Every minor quibble could take a month to be seen by the government and a month for an answer to return.

The concept of having a negotiator with the power to make concessions and demands was so common it has it's own word, plenipotentiary, which literally means a diplomat/envoy who has the ability to make these decisions. Disagreements over whether a diplomat overstepped their powers have also led too some crucial conflicts (a number of Roman wars used this as their Casus Belli, or 'case for war').
7137 chapter 7 . 6/25/2017
Liking the story, and I understand why Harry put off going to Azkaban in the original HPMOR, but honestly, I really expected him to go with the phoenix here, and not just because of the title: his best friend is being held there, and this would eliminate the problem of the Dementors (even their countermeasures couldn't completely do that); he also, in the last chapter, felt guilty for not even thinking of helping the other prisoners by killing the Dementors, making me think he might act differently here.

Against that, I really don't see his fear of dying (because let's face it, that played a larger role than he'd like to think) and possibly wise reluctance to do it when he could save others standing up when he already kinda-sorta-really wants to go and has already thought multiple times (at least in the original HPMOR) thought that putting off an important decision doesn't make it go away.

It would have been a huge plot divergence, but in a good way, in that it would make this story stand almost completely on its own.
yitiantulong chapter 2 . 5/29/2017
I like this resolution to the Taboo Tradeoff's section from HPMOR as well as the original- thanks for sharing! :)
RadicalTurnip chapter 37 . 5/16/2017
Great story, thank you! The ending was very powerful.
Lord Crane chapter 20 . 5/13/2017
I know this is complete, but just wanted to run an idea by you regarding the ineffectiveness of the normal patronus post secret. Was just thinking that the PC is a multi purpose charm, capable of also providing light and comfort, sending messages, and of driving off lethifolds. As such, why is it that the charm completely dies in all casting conditions instead of just when actually facing down a dementor?
(apologies for the repost, I apparently wasn't logged in)