Reviews for Good Company
SuperGreG chapter 8 . 9/27/2014
Just caught up with chapters 7 & 8. Both were enjoyable and interesting. Didn't seem at all to be 'moving slowly', in my view, but then I'm quite partial to more substantial depth-of-character and atmospheric storytelling. With so many varied players on the field, it's good to spend a little time with each one, as opportunity permits. Though I might sometimes find myself growing anxious for the focus to return to a specific character or circumstance, the spread of shifting focus across the chapters seems to work quite well. That keeps it fresh and interesting from one section to the next.
Looking forward to more.

psychobob35 chapter 7 . 9/25/2014
Carlo Pandevaldi is an interesting sounding name for a Breton. Is he from the High Rock equivalent of Corsica, or something?
SuperGreG chapter 6 . 9/9/2014
Interesting pacing over those six chapters so far. Switching between the various major characters seems to work fairly well and mixes the tone from section to section. Each of those characters seem to have enough depth of character to maintain interest. In my view, there's probably just enough of those more familiar characters, without becoming too intrusive to the exploration of the original characters. I thought the atmosphere with the tribal Orcs seemed to work quite well.

SuperGreG chapter 3 . 8/28/2014
Well, uh... wow.
A lot of tense action in this chapter, with even more new characters coming into the story. There was maybe slightly more action in the opening chapter, but there was way more tension in this one. I'm not even usually all that swayed by action scenes, but I think this seems to work quite well here. The characterisation and atmosphere still comes through nicely.
Looking forward to seeing how these various things eventually come together.

SuperGreG chapter 1 . 8/27/2014
Hmm. This tale looks interesting, so far.
I do like the general style of the storytelling in this. It starts off hurtling along at a snappy pace, but remains descriptive and atmospheric. The story feels reasonably familiar from the get-go, but with the gentle promise of an possibly original tale to be told. Those original characters certainly seem lively and vibrant enough to support that.
I wasn't too sure of just where they were until an off-hand comment about 'the Reach', about half-way through, and then that other location reference in the last paragraph (not yet certain of the exact time-period).
There are some tasty word choices and phrasing that keep things entertaining. Heh... brilliant line in the fifth section: 'When the going gets tough, self-preservation shines brightest' ;-)
Since its only just got started, I can't really guess precisely where the story is headed, but it looks worthwhile tagging along for a while to find out.