Reviews for The Queen of Close Calls
joesav71 chapter 1 . 3/19
I've always been a fan of "what if" stories such as this. It comes from my old love of comic books and the Marvel series of the same name; where they explored alternate outcomes for stories, like what if the Phoenix had lived, or if Spider-Man had joined the Fantastic Four. Not all of those stories had happy endings. When I first read Sharrukin's Memoirs series, I gained a deeper appreciation of the Mass Effect series, and for Liara T'Soni in particular. Like the author, I felt she had a lot of potential as a protagonist in her own story, not just a supporting character and potential love interest for Commander Shepard. And while the game series was Shepard's story, it was refreshing to see it from another point of view.

The first of these "drabbles" in particular, stuck a chord with me, as this was my greatest fear in playing the first game and what fate awaited Liara if I (as Shepard), didn't rescue her in time. To see if written out, with Liara as Saren's indoctrinated thrall at the end, aiding him with opening the Citadel relay, saddened me greatly. Because at that point, not only did Shepard fail her, but he had failed the entire galaxy.
bluekrishna chapter 5 . 10/14/2014
Whoa, spooky beginning. Just chock-full of the worst of what could come to pass for our Liara. Also, nice job really evoking that hopelessness. And it helps that the chapter is so clean and free of errors. Makes reading purely about immersion.
_

Dang, Liara, that’s some cold s**t. I can see why, though. The decision on Virmire was never about tactics or necessity, it was always personal preference. In that, the sacrifice always rankled on me, too. You underline that in boldest relief here. I’m starting to see the framework you’ve built and so far, this fic is the closest to the ‘concept’ of the challenge.

_

Well, that escalated quickly. But, all things are permitted. Based off your continuity or not. As long as it’s believable, it’s game. What I like best about this chapter is how it really solidifies Liara’s place in asari society. Canon has that rather loosely defined, but here, it really says a lot with very little. Nice.

_

Another intriguing chapter. I especially like how spiky Liara is here. She’s so sharp, she’s liable to cut herself along with the rest of the galaxy. lol.

_

ooo, you tease. While it seems to be complete, you leave so many questions begging for answers out there. Endless whys and hows. Splinter wonderings.

Anyway, great collection of drabbles. Definitely well written and sharp. You have a very austere and spare style. Yet still evocative enough to pull the strings of my imagination. More ...cerebral musings than others. I do feel a slight lack of viscera, though. I’d like to feel my heart race, to breathe in a moment of time. To live in these character’s skins with them for a while. But, that aside, this was extremely good and very close to the mark for what I wanted.
Hoplite39 chapter 5 . 10/5/2014
Not sure what happened here. I assume that it was the control ending. But I'm not sure about that.

Interesting set of chapters. My favourite by far was chapter 2.
Hoplite39 chapter 4 . 10/5/2014
Back on track. I wounder how Shepard's ard would get on in that fight without Liara. Could be challenging. And would it help Liara find the Shadow Broker? Hard to say.
Hoplite39 chapter 3 . 10/5/2014
Yes, it was a bit confusing as it relates to another story.

This one doesn't really work for me. For one, the chapter itself doesn't even mention Morinth. So we don't know that Morinth killed her. Secondly, it's actually irrelevant how Liara dies. It doesn't matter whether Morinth or anyone else kills her. Thirdly there is no sense of real consequences to Liara's death. Fourthly, if anything your AN at the end makes things even more confusing, saying Liara isn't dead and referring to another story. Surely, the chapter needs to stand alone.

To make this work, we really need to know the consequences of Liara's fate, good or bad.

And if Morinth, is a key part of the chapter then that should be reflected. For example, perhaps Shep chooses Morinth as a squad mate and then finds that Morinth killed Liara.

The exchange between the Asari was quite interesting. But I don't quite see how it fits with the story objective as it has no consequences and doesn't seem self contained.

In my view, if you were to use a section of another story, then you would be better to have tailored it more.
Hoplite39 chapter 2 . 10/5/2014
I love this chapter. I love how you made Kaiden and Liara lovers. And it is such a tradgedy that she lost him.

In this chapter, we see the worst signs of everyone. Shepard seems to be a manipulative promiscuous git who doesn't hesitate to betray his lovers.

Liara becomes the bitter and vengeful from her broken heart. Here, instead of focusing her energy on saving Shepard, she makes the conscious decision to neglect him and pursue power for its own ends.

In that, we lose the sweet compassionate and passionate Liara to be replaced by a woman full of bitterness and resentment.

And without Liara. The Galaxy is lost.

The description of your chapter doesn't make much sense. I actually think it should be something like 'What if Liara has an affair with Kaiden before Virmire."

But regardless of that. Still a great chapter.
Hoplite39 chapter 1 . 10/5/2014
Good job. Very dark and tragic chapter, resulting in the worst case scenario for Liara. A universe where saves no one and contributes nothing. Ironically. she probably didn't even help Saren that much. This scenario is one of underachievement and tragedy.
Janizary chapter 5 . 9/22/2014
I either missed the original notice of this story, or you published it all at once (up to chapter 5). Either way, it was a nice surprise to get 5 vignettes to read all at once :)

Love this ending. I know it is not 'them', as it were, but it can be in my head.
Yuri-hime chapter 4 . 9/18/2014
Wow, nice! Protective Shepard on the move :D
Yuri-hime chapter 2 . 9/18/2014
Ouch o.o
Yuri-hime chapter 1 . 9/18/2014
Yikes.
thebluninja chapter 5 . 9/15/2014
Um ... alright, clearly Control ending, but still *very* strange. Also leads to the question of, if this is the "thing that happened" chapter, does that make it AU from your other story of future!Liara?
thebluninja chapter 4 . 9/15/2014
Fighting Tela Vasir in the middle of a hospital ... wouldn't *that* have made for a fun mission.
thebluninja chapter 2 . 9/15/2014
Compared to the first chapter, I find this one ... a *little* harder to swallow. (Possibly because I also normally leave Kaidan to die.) Even if she disliked Shepard, you'd think she'd show some sorrow for all the other people on board the Normandy who also died.
BenRG chapter 5 . 9/10/2014
This final chapter fascinates me - the possibility that the Reapers have a final purpose and that even the Crucible and what happened there is part of that. That they are seeking their final purpose - to end the threat of the Adversary (maybe the Leviathan?) and then to touch the face of God Himself.

Of all the beings in the universe they could have found to lead them on that task, I think they could not have asked for better than Commander Shepard and Dr Liara T'Soni.
47 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »