Reviews for Reflections in the Dark
Ellipsis chapter 1 . 11/15/2002
Lovely. Your characterizations of both Legolas and Gimli are excellent. Gimli's musings about the changes the friendship has caused in each of them is wonderfl - and Gimli's "elvish" qualities provide a nice tie-into his eventual journey over sea. Somehow, I never pictured Elves giggling - *tries to imagine Elrond giggling* Ah well, I Eomer's breif appearance as well - the guard threatening Gimli for slapping the king is also a good connecttion to their original meeting. Good stuff!

Minor nitpick: In the author's note at the beginning of the chapter, you say it takes place "elven" years after the end of LotR. Shouldn't it be eleven?

Nice work!

- Ellipsis, who is happy she found a good LotR fic amst the Mary-sues.
PuterPatty chapter 1 . 11/15/2002
Ai Valar, that was beautiful! You amaze me Thundera Tiger. I'm glad your mind went a-wandering during class.

Nobody writes Gimli/Legolas frienship like you! What a great situation to put our dwarf in and force him to tell us his thoughts on his friendship with the elf. All of it was ever so touching. It had just the right amount of sadness and angst and the splashes of humor made it all the more better. But the introspection was by far the best part-wonderfully written as always!

Loved that Gimli hit Eomer and that Eomer really took no offense. Stays right in line with your other fic. Also, loved the contemplation on whether or not Legolas giggles. Hmmm, I'm not sure where I stand on this. It's cute to think that he does giggle but I think that in the end, I would have to take the side of the elf and say that he snickers. Anyway, I loved the characterization you provided for all our favorites through assigning them a type of laugh. Great, great stuff!

Loved Legolas using the beard to threaten the dwarf. Very funny!

The apology from both dwarf and elf was perfectly written! They both are so reluctant to voice it at first but once they do...I don't know, it's hard to describe, but their relationship is truly perfectly portrayed.

And then Gimli asks Legolas to sing for him. So special and the song Legolas picked was all too appropriate. I was tearing up.

As always, another exceptional job! What talent you have! This was so great and thanks for sharing.

Write On!
Jocelyn chapter 1 . 11/15/2002
That...was...so...beautiful! (Sniffle! SOB!) You scared the heck out of me for a minute there; I was afraid you were going to break with the canon and kill Gimli prematurely. Thank you very much, for I barely survived the last time you killed our favorite dwarf.

GODS, that was fantastic! So few authors focus on the thoughts of Gimli and his friendships with Legolas, other elves, and men. You've shed so much light into his character, yet in a way that is perfectly consistent with the canon, and absolutely beautiful.

Legolas...giggle? I wouldn't go that far. I imagine Legolas having a very pleasant, but full and ringing laugh. Of course, certain kinds of humor can incite giggles in the best of us, so I guess it's believable that Gimli's humor could probably reduce Legolas to a giggling idiot with some muttered comment during a feast or soothing his outrage over the latest prank with some pithy remark. Arwen, yeah, I think she'd giggle.

I nearly died over the idea that Gimli had slugged Eomer. I can just envision the guards launching themselves at the dwarf while Eomer sits stupefied on the ground and then brings the entire fracas to a halt by busting out laughing. You paint such vivid pictures with your writing, and now I'm laughing too!

And then you get into Gimli's love of hearing Legolas sing and I get all choked up again! Honestly! This emotional roller coaster you inevitably take us on is bad for the sanity-don't you know I'm stressed right now? On the other hand, an update-or in this case the added bonus of a WHOLE NEW story is more than enough to cheer me up.

And what a story it is! The silence was so thick in the first part when Gimli is trapped alone in there...I felt claustrophobic in front of my computer! I could see the darkness and dust and feel my own body reacting to what you described. Wonderful description!

Poor elf and dwarf. It's a shame that while they have each cast off their prejudices, their families haven't learned a single thing from their example. The story of Legolas's naming Gimli elvellon are just how I imagine it was probably received, with similar responses to Gimli's return to Lonely Mountain.

I like how tense and rather irritable Legolas is when Gimli wakes. That's a definite pointer that he's had a fright. Legolas is one who I imagine would get seriously ticked when he faced real honest fear. And nothing would scare that elf like the potential loss of one of his friends.

So Gimli of course tried to save Legolas and nearly got himself killed in the process. Stands to reason. You really do write these characters and their interaction better than anyone I've ever seen, second only to the great Tolkien himself (and you give JRR a run for the money!)

And Gimli decides to assuage that one last regret by asking Legolas to sing...BAWWWLLL! Deeply moving ending to an absolutely stunning short story. Congratulations on yet another masterpiece.

I guess this was a one-shot deal, but I wouldn't say no to a sequel, perhaps a companion piece where Legolas is the one in trouble and has time to reflect on Gimli? After all, Gimli I expect lives with the comfort that Legolas will likely outlive him...what would happen if he were suddenly faced with the elf's loss? That might be an interesting topic to explore, and I can think of none better to write it.

So again, magnificent tale, and update your other epics soon!
littlegreenleaf chapter 1 . 11/15/2002
What a beautiful story! My favorite relationship in LoTR has always been Gimli and Legolas. What a sweet pair they were. I especially like how the love of a friend could change someone (in their case, both of them) so much. I've said this to you before and I'll say it again...you are my most favorite fanfic writer and I read ALOT of fanfiction. Every evening after I've checked my mail, I log on to this site to see if you've updated. And it's always like Christmas to me when you have. I appreciate you very much and thank you for sharing your talent with the rest of us!

Stephanie
JastaElf chapter 1 . 11/15/2002
This is marvelous.

Just flipping, frickin', marvelous.

Tightly crafted, excellent characterizations, plenty of tension, and excellent resolution.

My GOD you amaze me with your talent!

I love the way you handle Gimli and Legolas. I love the friendship as you depict it.

I love this story. VERY nice job!
yrchgrrrl chapter 1 . 11/15/2002
Wonderful story, Thundera-as usual.

None chapter 1 . 11/15/2002
Hi, it was really a beautiful chapter/ story.
iverson chapter 1 . 11/15/2002
This is such a wonderful little piece on friendship, I really like it!
83 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6