Reviews for An Echo Of Footfalls
Ancalime8301 chapter 8 . 1/26/2006
I've had this story saved on my computer for nearly three years now, with the intention of reading it eventually... Well, I finally did. :)

And WOW, what a ride! Oh, the angst and the darkness and oy. *shudders* And I love how you brought it neatly back to movie canon there at the end. I'm only sorry I didn't get around to reading this story long ago.
Camellia Gamgee-Took chapter 1 . 5/9/2003
Wow, I can't believe I didn't see this story before!

Just quickly though - how could you have even questioned whether you should have continued after this chapter?

This is so amazing there is no word to describe it. I envy your talent.

:-D
tiggivon chapter 8 . 1/25/2003
thankyou for such an interesting story, this chapter fitted in so well with the film. that was very clever. having frodojust beginning to face being in bagend and then whisked away with sam by gandalf.

well heres to more of your stories and good luck with your reviews. i know you have not always had good ones but i do enjoy your work so far.

tiggivon chapter 7 . 1/25/2003
poor frodo. to feel so devastated he had missed gandalf. but as ill as he was frodo would not have readily accepted gandalf in his feverish state.

poor sam he has done so much and to be shouted at must have knocked poor sam at first.

love the interaction beween sam and frodo. you have that written so well.

tiggivon chapter 6 . 1/25/2003
wow. that was some chapter. and before i forget thankyou for the small quotes at the beginning of each chapter. it is an original idea and fits well with each story line.

back to chapter. i couldn't imagine how evil the ring could be but i do now. to make frodo belive gandalf was evil and behind the torture. it could of so happened.

and frodo at the fire. i almost held my breath as he made for the hearth and i fely like shouting frodo no. but he can't here me.

excellent well researched chapter. pat your self on the back that was awesome.

tiggivon chapter 5 . 1/25/2003
frodo's disoientation must of made sam wonder what was happening. his loyalty to frodo and fear of what's to come must be causingeveryone around frodo a lot of distress. great so dar

tiggivon chapter 4 . 1/25/2003
that was very well done. youcaptured frodo's fear and pain and how patient the gaffer and samwise were with anxious frodo.

i bet that hurt very much, he did well to allow the wound to be cleaned.

tiggivon chapter 3 . 1/25/2003
poor frodo. those visions and taunts from the ring must be so frightening and disorientating and to have to face stitching to his hand is frightening.

loved the "why is your mum wearing breeches. it's the sort of thing or image you can conjour up when you don't feel well. and a little message for you. i'm so glad you joined f.h.

Ariel3 chapter 8 . 1/14/2003
No sweat. I enjoyed it very much. I do think for the most part that people on don't read authors they don't know - and if you are new, then you are probably going to face that problem. I try to at least glance at everything Frodo - and you caught me with your first chapter so I stayed. I am kind of surprised no one else reviewed it, but maybe I was saying what they would have? LOL. I don't normally like movie verse, but you handled it quite well and stayed true to the film version while bringing in some of book verse. I look forward to seeing how you handle other stories. BTW - I did think of another place you could post this where it would recieve aclaim. Email me.
Ariel3 chapter 6 . 12/28/2002
Thank you! And I will continue to review this one!

Dark or not, it continues to be very, VERY good! I am serious! You keep me spellbound with this wonderful tale. You have the skill of being able to set the atmosphere and the setting with very few words - very Bradburyish (and he's my favorite author!) and the angst is just delicious! (I love angst, btw... just in case you couldn't guess!)

Bravo! (I confess to having kept this little story sort of to myself - I guess I could help you by recommending it a bit, eh?)

Ariel
Ariel3 chapter 4 . 12/13/2002
Thank you for your stance on slash. I appreciate knowing that I will be able to read this story to the end (and I do hope you finish it) without cringing and feeling you have stepped too far from canon.

I like this chapter too... I am sorry that few others seem to be reviewing this, but I have found that there are a core of people who review at , and they don't tend to review anyone else's stories but each others’. Believe me, it is NO reflection on your story's quality. Gems get ignored and garbage applauded here all the time. Please don't let it get to you.

That said, the only thing I would suggest adjusting (and this is MY view only) is the following section...

"Now, hearing my dearest friend wonderfully render the tale, I do not await every verse with mounting enthusiasm, I only feel dreadfully ill."

At this point in the story, I would seriously doubt Sam is Frodo's 'dearest friend'. He was an employee... a valued one, and one he got along with, but Frodo's dearest friend was probably Merry (check your book. At one point in either the first or second chapter of FOTR, Frodo's friends are listed Sam is not mentioned as one of them). I was under the impression that you were making this more of a book canon piece with film suggestions... that might be one alteration of your line of thought to consider.

PJ simplified (and in my opinion, cheapened) the relationship between Frodo and Sam in the film, leaving out the employee - employer aspect as well as the class difference. It is a loss, but in today's day and age, I can understand why he did it. Even some who write fanfic don't have a good grasp on their book relationship. Theater audiences would have been completely lost. I can understand the change for commercial reasons even if I mourn the loss of that excellent dynamic.

Other than that (and that is not even a criticism, only a personal preference... pay it no mind!) this continues to be a very compelling read. Keep it up!
Ariel3 chapter 3 . 11/28/2002
Well, I can forgive a few canon errors for a one time reader. As good as the movie is, they made changes in events and relationships that are DEFINITELY noticeable. My personal preference is book-canon (and yes, I pick apart everyone's canon), but enjoy well done movie verse.

This chapter is just as interesting as the rest. I am not sure where this is going but you have me definitely intrigued. Angst is my favorite but it always works better around a plot rather than as the plot ;) - as you obviously also realize. Good writing and an interesting tale - with plenty of angst thrown in! Of COURSE, I am interested!
Ariel3 chapter 2 . 11/19/2002
Interesting. Just one point though... and pardon me for being a rather strict canon watcher... Sam was never out of the Shire until he and Frodo left so he would not have met Tom Bombadil at this point in time. Other than that, it sounds good so far.
tiggivon chapter 2 . 11/18/2002
again you hve captured frodo's emotions and described so well the emotions he was feeliing. and to be faced with lobelia when you are looking at your worst was great.

the visions must of been awful. poor frodo.

Ariel3 chapter 1 . 11/17/2002
Well, I may be just an irrepressible angst maven but I'd say go for it! Keep on this track and you might have something very interesting when you are done. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am enjoying it!