Reviews for In The Grey Twilight
sarah chapter 1 . 11/18/2002
Hobbit angst totally rules... please write part 3 soon. I can't wait to read more. Beautiful, just beautiful
becca chapter 2 . 11/18/2002
Oh wow... that was so amazingly done. I love the way you portrait their relationship.

I'm so close to crying right now, and I never cry.

I can't choose a favorite part, everything line is beautiful.

Please, please write the next part soon.
Alaglonniel chapter 2 . 11/17/2002
Hey, this is fantastic!

Had me all choked up when Sam announced the baby.

*sniff*

Can't wait for the next instalment!

( :
A Elbereth chapter 2 . 11/17/2002
This is good! Huzzah! Need more! Poor Frodo
Inkstain chapter 1 . 11/17/2002
That was absolutely beautiful. I agree wholeheartedly with shirebound; the line 'How could he describe a friendship that had gone to the very end of the world?' was wonderful.

And 'How could he name a love that carried the weight of Middle-earth on its shoulders?'

This is the sort of thing that made me sob in the book, made me weep in the first movie, and has made me decide to take a scarf into the cinema with me to watch ROTK, because when they get to Mt Doom, I'll need to stuff it into my mouth to muffle my wailing. I read an interview with EW today; he said there is a part in ROTK when (look away if you don't want to be spoiled), with the Ring now immensely affecting Frodo, Sam picks him up and says "I can't carry the Ring. But I can carry you."

They want us to watch this and NOT cry so hard we'll get thrown out of the cinema?

While Sam and Frodo's friendship in LOTR is so beautiful it makes my heart ache, the one part of the book that makes me cry more than anything else (barring the end and the description of the Fellowship finally leaving Middle Earth in the Appendices, obviously), is when Pippin finds the confused and hurt Merry wandering the streets of Minis Tirith. Their friendship is one I also really love; and the change to them both had endless tears dribbling down my face as I read it.

The other thing I like about this is the way you have written Sam and Frodo. I've never gone for 'Ooh, Frodo fancies Sam' or vice versa, its just *not* the relationship that they have. The point that you have made is that it transcends anything like that. It is a connection so deep that any boundaries of love or attraction or anything dissolve. They could be friends forever, or they could take the relationship further, but it doesn't matter. There doesn't have to be sex or longing or lust etc (not that its a BAD thing or anything ;D), because its not needed.

Ok, I'm sory; I'm babbling inanely but you've just...you've hit the nail on the head for me. And as a writer too I know that, while of course any review makes you jiggle happily in your seat, it is pleasing especially to have someone show you WHY they liked it, and for you to really see people's reactions. This may not be the most...coherent (*looks back at her blathering and snorts*) review, speaking from my own experience of a reviewer staying up til early morning and reviewing my fic even though she was falling asleep on her keyboard, its not really what they say or how well they go into your story or whatever, it is their emotions. And you got mine going.

Two friendships irrevocably changed by the War - and your writing of them is wonderful.

I cannot wait for more.

Thankyou!
Trilliah chapter 2 . 11/17/2002
I cheated. *sniggers at * I typed '&chapter2' and it let me see it even though it hadn't put it up officially. *sniggers again*

And now I'm crying. Because...because this...ack! *sobs* FROOODOOO! *falls to the ground weeping*

This is sooo SAD! I mean, you give Frodo this wonderful moment of dancing with Sam, and all the hope Merry and Pippin gave him, and Gandalf...and then Sam learning of Merry and Pippin's commitment to one another, and looking all pale...and then...AAAAAAHHH! And here Frodo'd gotten all his courage worked up, about to tell Sam, and then Rosie had to pull that bit of news...then Frodo just turning around and leaving... *sobs again* This is so so SO SAD! And so WONDERFUL! Please, please, PLEASE continue this soon! I shall suffer until you do.

~Trills
Trilliah chapter 1 . 11/17/2002
So this thing says there are two chapters and I can only get to one. *pouts* That's evil! *pokes . If there are two chapters, let me READ them, for crying out loud! And if there aren't, stop TELLING me there are! *sighs*

Anyway-this is so achingly sweet and...well, heartbreaking! I liked the bit where Sam forgot to set a plate for Rosie-wishful thinking on his part, mayhap? *sighs* I REALLY hope Sam feels the same...t'would be a real shame if he didn't, because then you've got a heartbroken Frodo on your hands and that *is* a tragedy.

Loved as well the bits with Merry and Pippin-when Frodo saw their rings I was like "Yes!" *grins* Now if we can just get the Frodo/Sam bit resolved... ;)

This is really awesome so far. Can't wait to see what happens next!
Mistress-Samwise chapter 1 . 11/16/2002
Huzzah for slash! *waves little flag* Yippee! And this will continue? Fun-fun-silly-willy. It would be wise to post this story at so then you'll have a guaranteed (sp?) slash audience. _ Or maybe you already know that. _ Anywho, great story! *big grin*
Dana-chan chapter 1 . 11/16/2002
I'm quite lazy, and I don't want to sign in, but I *do* want to let you know that this is just... beautiful... I want to see more of it! I saved it just so I could.
jaywise chapter 1 . 11/16/2002
Beautiful Heidi ..angst/romance my favourite combination ;)

"They had gone from friends to soulmates without a word, and without a word they returned to a discreet distance" Awwwwww!

Can't wait to read part 2

Thanks
shirebound chapter 1 . 11/16/2002
This is beautifully written. I'm most taken by two lines, "How could he describe a friendship that had gone to the very end of the world?" and "...keeping a solitude that knew no name." This story could go in so many different directions... I look forward to reading more.
176 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12