Reviews for In The Grey Twilight
A Hard Hobbit to Break chapter 12 . 9/14/2003
This is the most wonderful fan fic I have ever had the fortune to read. Period. It was beautiful, sad heart-breaking, loving...everything. I applaud you and your wonderful piece of work. .
cassiopeia3019 chapter 12 . 9/9/2003
This is one of the most lovely stories I have read. Throughout the last chapter there were tears filling my eyes, for I thought you would be sticking to book canon, but in the end the tears were joyous. Your writing is so true to Tolkien - indeed, if he ever had decided to write slash, I think he would write it very much like this story. I'm sorely tempted, the next time I read The Lord of the Rings, to skip the last few pages and read this instead. The splitting of Sam and Frodo breaks my heart, but I am so happy in this story you let them be together.
samanthasideas chapter 12 . 9/8/2003
awesome! wow I cried and lept for joy all at the same time. this is so good! yay frodo/sam :) yay!
samanthasideas chapter 11 . 9/8/2003
this is such an amazing tale. as others say, I could see this happening and that is so cool. Sam's devotion to Frodo and Frodo's devotion to Sam is just so touching and how Rosie didn't understand it till Sam finally told her. You have this way of making the hobbit world real when all else I've read here have failed and I hope you continue to write many more just for them :D I haven't finished cuz I have school and I already stayed up reading till the late hours of the morning ;) I just couldn't bring myself to put it down but when I get home I'll read the last part and give my final feedback ;)
gorillazgal86 chapter 12 . 9/6/2003
I'm so happy you updated! that was a beautiful ending! I'm very happy with the way that turned out, good for you! Wonderously written and just a very sweet, tender story!
Archerlass chapter 12 . 9/6/2003
At this point:

"My dear hobbits," Gandalf said quietly, "an end is come."

...I was already crying and truly expected to have my heart torn, shredded and otherwise mangled beyond bearing by what would come next.

But then a miracle!

Oh, Thank you! (the next film is going to kill me).

There was so much about your story that I loved, but this part...

"It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them. But for all that we have given up, by the grace of this world it may be returned to us. Sam, I believe your ring, this ring, will prove stronger than Isildur's Bane."

Bless you!

~archerlass
pwsbpanthael chapter 12 . 9/6/2003
Oh, outstanding! I have followed this series with such yearning, waiting for each new chapter to be posted, willingly led in this compelling journey. When I saw the title to this chapter, I was dismayed to think that the journey was going to end. And I was so fearful that the Havens would play out as it did originally. But I should have known; you've kept the tone of this work beautifully canonical, but you've healed a great wound. I think many readers will take immense comfort from this alternative telling. A lovely, lovely job of bringing healing to Frodo at last, and in the only way possible - with Samwise at his side. Brava!

With thanks, pwsbpanthael
sayhello chapter 12 . 9/6/2003
Oh. My. Lovely, truly lovely. And heart-breaking in such a wonderful way. This is the way I always wished LOTR had ended. Still happy-sad, but *way* more happy than sad. This is the happiness they both deserve.

Heidi, thank you so much for this story. It has been a joy to read. Your voices are so true to Tolkien, and your imagery so vivid, and the emotions so real and heart-rending. I adore having read the entire thing, and am grateful to have made it to the end, and yet am sad that it has come to that end.

I have only one more thing to add... VALINOR FIC! Frodo and Sam beyond the Sundering Seas... please... just a little sequel...

sayhello
shirebound chapter 12 . 9/6/2003
Oh, Heidi! A fitting, perfect, wonderful ending to an amazing story. I was on the edge of my seat with suspense all the way through to the end. This is one of the most beautifully woven tales I've read, and you are one of the most gifted authors.

I don't want to bore you by quoting so many amazing lines back at you, but I can't help it...

"Elrond announced their names before all the company with grave words of praise that Frodo still never expected to hear."

"They call him loyal but that's an empty word for all he did, which I don't think anyone can really understand; for grace gave him strength and virtue and beauty to surpass the best of Middle-earth, and at the end I thought he was blessing me every time he gazed on me."

"Blood pounded in his ears. O, wasn't it like putting on the Ring at the last moment? Sam went slack upon him, having slipped into sleep at last, innocent and beautiful."

"There was a common theme between them; they both suffered to leave behind someone they dearly loved."

"Were there a pond nearby, he would have bid him to look and see his own light, that which Frodo most needed to see."

"I've been in one Tower and found it enough," he muttered. I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell."

"Here at the end of an Age there were a million thoughts and memories to consider, but the wizard's attention was fixed keenly upon the hearts of two small mortals."

"This time I will choose to do what I came to do!"

"You and Frodo deserve beauty," Gandalf said. "If there is any beauty in Middle-earth, it is in your debt."
Iris1 chapter 12 . 9/5/2003
Thank you for this wonderful story. It's been an absolutely fantastic journey reading about Sam and Frodo's relationship. And the ending ... is perfect. I have a lump in my throat because the characters and the feelings that you've depicted are beautifully nuanced and utterly compelling. This is the ending that I wished had happened. Thank you again for letting me share in your vision of these hobbits' love.
zejeni chapter 11 . 8/31/2003
::cries:: You can't just end there!

I would write you a better review but I'm having trouble trying to stop blubbering right now...
Bottlesandcats chapter 11 . 8/14/2003
Aw! This was such a good chapter! Poor Frodo and Sam; neither will openly acknowledge their love for each other, face to face! This story is so good, I'm putting you and it on my favorites lists. Keep up the good work and update soon, please!
Brandytook chapter 11 . 8/2/2003
That was so...sweet, beautiful, just...I'm not sure I could say anything that could make it better. Scared of falling stars, how Sam.
Iris1 chapter 11 . 7/28/2003
This is one of the best Sam/Frodo stories I've ever read - the emotions are subtly nuanced but pack an incredibly visceral punch. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this beautifully written piece of prose, and I look forward to all future endeavours.
Marauder chapter 11 . 7/25/2003
Heidi my dear, you never fail to amaze me.
176 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »