Reviews for River Wind
xThomas2 chapter 5 . 12/21/2014
I vehemently disagree with the choices of the ... Horse. Also, this story was shaping up to be tragedy. ... Eh it wouldn't be a good tragedy anyway,
xThomas2 chapter 4 . 12/21/2014
Fucked uppppp and SICK
Guest chapter 5 . 7/17/2013
This should be labeled as horror genre, if only for the concept.
AnAncientBard chapter 5 . 2/3/2013
Well done.
10/10
You have taken my breath away.
Simple yet deep.
Paosheep chapter 5 . 4/16/2010
This story was amazing.
Rogue7 chapter 5 . 1/28/2010
Fantastic story.

I really enjoyed reading it
Krimzonrayne chapter 5 . 7/23/2007
A singularly unique fic and an incredible read, thank you.

The Story really blew me away, it's a piece of completely understated emotional journey that makes you wonder quite a lot of things about your life and the world around you.
Rose1948 chapter 5 . 6/17/2007
Unique read. Thanks for following your muse.
GeorgeTobor chapter 5 . 8/2/2006
Someone wrote a fic about a girl who falls into the same spring. She runs off and only when she meets Ranma(who is taking Akane on a date that involves horseback riding) is she changed back. I forget the full title. It is something like "A horse is a horse unless..."
Duraiken chapter 5 . 12/22/2004
I finally got around to reading this one (which means I've read all of Pilgrim's works so far,) and I have to say, it was worth it. I remember reading a story that was a little similar once before, in the "I fell into a Jusenkyo spring but I'm not a canon char." manner. I don't remember the name, but it had a non-martial artist boy fall into the spring of Drowned Girl, and learning to with it. Good story, hope I'll be able to find it again.

Anywho, I don't exactly see what everyone's complaining about. This story fits in here pretty well, especially compared to so many stories (and those just on this site) where Ranma is so OOC you might as well name him "Steve" and make him an ANC (Annoying New Character.) The small cameo with ol' Wild Horse, not the tamed one (heh,) was more IC, or In Character, than most of the stories I'm criticizing above to (you people who did the OOCing I'm speaking of know who you are, or should anyhow, so I won't bother naming names.) Overall, very good story.
elisteran chapter 5 . 2/20/2004
This was a beautiful story. I at first thought I was rereading "A Horse is a Horse; Unless...", but (even ignoring the pov change) the tone was radically different. I can see why people would prefer it not be in the Ranma section; but this was such a good story that I can't agree with them.
The section where he becomes human and paralyzed... that was particularly effective.
I also really enjoyed the epilogue; it showed that the character remained consistent and had a relatively long, comfortable life. I don't have to enjoy the ending, but it was very powerful.
phil denning chapter 5 . 7/11/2003
"I'm a guy!"

The methods humans use for brainwashing/conditioning/breaking horses and men aren't used because they are cruel but because normally they are effective.

It is very possible to resist conditioning if you have strong will and 'a reason' to do so, but the hero/heroine of this story had no such reason. 'He' was going to be a horse forever as far as he knew. Those who complain that this couldn't/wouldn't happen might want to read up on brainwashing (and also the more common and less talked about effects of spousal abuse.)

You also brought out how the more effective but slower methods of positive reinforcement can be at training/conditioning. You can beat a horse into doing a job, but true champions win because they want to.

I thought the Ranma cameo was perfect.

His reaction to meeting someone who had been 'locked' for only a few years..

So many of his fears about his cursed form would become nighmares again. Thank you for your restraint in that section of the story.

In summary: I cried.
Ryo-chan chapter 1 . 4/19/2003
Very cool, very original, and very interesting. I like it a lot. Keep up the great writing.
burgerbecky chapter 5 . 1/31/2003
It's rare to come across a unique story. I enjoyed it immensely.
Pilgrim chapter 5 . 11/27/2002
Thanks for the kind reviews. The Ranma/non-Ranma question is sort of a no-win situation, because using Jusenkyo as a plot devise allowed me to take advantage of the reader's expectations. The reader keeps thinking "What if he gets splashed?" It would be really tough to come up with an original plot device that would provide the same effect.

As for the protagonist's failure to notify people that he's not a real horse - how do you propose him doing that? (It would make for a real short story, too.) One of my goals was to make the reader realize that the protagonist has changed long before the protagonist himself does. So I tried to show how his equine "hardware" might affect his human "software". Horses just aren't very bright. If they were, we couldn't ride them.

The Ranma/Akane cameo was not added in response to reviews. I insist on making all of my stuff essentially complete before I post any of it. I posted this one in installments only because I have limited time and a slow internet connection.

As for the Olympic thing, the competition in Australia was not intended to be the 2000 Olympics, though I can see how one might draw that conclusion. Our heroes win after all. David O'Connor would be exceedingly miffed if I tried to re-award his gold medal to my fictional characters. Eventing is a popular sport in both Australia and New Zealand, and their teams have dominated international competition for decades, so I felt safe in setting the competitions there.

Yes, I did read "A horse is a horse, unless..." and it inspired me to write something from the horse's viewpoint. A horse makes a good choice for several other reasons, however. First, I needed my protagonist to be in constant contact with humans to underscore his plight. Second, I didn't want him/her to get eaten. Third, A horse is about the only animal valuable enough to be shipped around the world for international competition. A dog show just wouldn't have the same drama, somehow. Finally, I'm fairly familiar with horses and have a shelf of reference books to consult. (All of the biological details, such as the inner workings of equine vision, were researched and are accurate, by the way.)

Finally, as for the epilogue, I threw that in because I'm both a pony club dad and a sucker for a happy ending. (And no, my daughter doesn't have a million dollar olympic horse, either.)

Dan