Reviews for Not The Hero
Animekitty47 chapter 22 . 12/18/2016
Mmm, world building is tasty.

Torch and Ember were fun to see. Especially Ember. And I see we have similar opinions of Garble.

Spike's been confirmed as the Editor too. So much foreshadowing! Going to get Hatred, the probably bearers for it and Cruelty, and didn't Spike mention something about getting this chapter because of Discord being held captive at Fluttershy's, hmm?

Unless I'm forgetting a story of yours, this is the last of Christmas presents, yes?

Well, the update streak was fun while it lasted...

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Alara!
Master2000 chapter 21 . 12/5/2016
Just found this fic a few days ago, already read the entire thing! Your writing is absolutely amazing and I can't wait for more!
DragonLord RyuKizoku chapter 21 . 10/26/2016
Wonderful chapter here. Not what I had expected, but it worked out in the end. And that last bit, of Discord and Tats... They could probably work something out after Anon is dealt with, assuming Tats wasn't originally a male.
largomolo chapter 21 . 10/26/2016
The chapter was great. It had most loose ends on discord's part dealt with quickly, and he seems to be adapting to Anon's gray-stu powers. At the very least the Poles might be the best place to deal Anon because of the purification/magic drain would clean-up his twisted harmony powers if Discord pulls a win. Although, I would like to point out Discord put Tat's memory of him in the dream realm, so how long would it take for Luna to find out, and investigate?
Animekitty47 chapter 20 . 10/4/2016
Uh-oh, Discord exhausted with Anon on the way? And he thought things were going badly before...

The direwolf...uh, is it weird to say her death and the aftermath was a touching scene?

Between this chapter and the previous one...Discord underestimated literally everything about the trip to go get this Element, huh? His little revelation about fighting tyranny was well done too. Ah, heck, everything you do is well done, even the disturbing parts. XP

Update one of your stories soon please!
DragonLord RyuKizoku chapter 20 . 9/29/2016
Well, shit. Discord is le fuh-ked. And just when it seemed to start moving in his favor, too. It had been going downhill from the start, had a slight incline that lasted about half a chapter, and then it hits rock bottom in all of three paragraphs.

These last few chapters have been damn good, as always, and we're even seen a good deal regarding Discord's past, and things that make him who he is. On top of that, we have some slight character development in this chapter, in that he discovers a way to do what he does without being seen as evil, but rather the good guy. In fact, this entire ordeal, if he manages to play it right and not get attacked instantly by Anon, he could possibly plant some seed of doubt into Luna's mind. After all, why would he be there, fighting the caribou, HELPING the slaves, if he's purely evil?

And beyond even that, he could flat out tell her he sent the message, which would only produce more doubt in her mind, for why would Discord willingly request her help in fighting an enemy if he's as evil as Anon has brainwashed her to think he is? And to take it a step further, he isn't doing anything evil! (Though, admittedly, Anon might change that in mere minutes...) He's done nothing but start a riot AGAINST a group that is undeniably terrible, and has nearly killed himself trying to assist the slaves in said riot! I don't care how powerful Anon is with his reality warping, but unless he completely rewrites this event here and now, there's no possible way to play Discord as the bad guy based on what has already happened! (Which is not to say that he couldn't have Discord attack Luna before she can consider any of this.)

Basically, this is a very bad situation, but could have some positive long term effects if Discord doesn't fuck it up. Keep up the good work, and I'll be sure to leave another review after we see how this goes.
largomolo chapter 19 . 9/25/2016
Definitely a good chapter. The beginning is in fact uncomfortable to get through. Overall, it turned out well. Side note and spoiler: Discord does not commit any acts but the descriptions are still uncomfortable.
Animekitty47 chapter 18 . 9/25/2016
I loved your take on Norse mythology. And Wendigos. Heh. Reindeer and caribou are actually the same animals, you say? I suppose there's nowhere for a Yeti to show up, huh? That's pretty much the only reference you missed, you thorough person you.

Aaah, so that's why they have seasons. I wonder how long it took Tia to realize she needed to move the sun around that way?

Hmm, normally I don't like the darker stuff, but I do like Opposition and this very story, so I shall continue to trust you. ;) Ooo, quick updates? Those are the best. Things. Ever! :D
Scorching Streaks of Paint chapter 18 . 9/25/2016
This chapter was really interesting, albeit shorter compared to your other chapters. I'm looking forward to the next two or three chapters that are ahead. :)
largomolo chapter 18 . 9/24/2016
Take heart Discord! It's clear you've surpassed one of your predecessors in one way, and if you survive the final encounter with Anon I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with all that you've accomplished. In other news, the next few chapters should be ... interesting? Only time will tell.
Scorching Streaks of Paint chapter 17 . 3/25/2016
Yes! Another awesome chapter! I can't wait for more.
TheJokerMan chapter 17 . 3/25/2016
The narrative is certainly evolving. Haven't checked this in a while. Gilda's not getting it easy, nor are the others...Discord has things up and running for Anon I'm sure. (heh)

-J
Drop Bass Not Bombs chapter 3 . 3/16/2016
I'm getting serious 'Diaries of a madman' deja vu from this.
Shadow chapter 16 . 2/21/2016
Omg. Omg. So cool. Is Spike gonna do it? He's gotta be curious, and once he sees the hard evidence in multiple cities... Omg
Animekitty47 chapter 16 . 2/19/2016
*pokes Discord* You sure picked a good title for this story. He's been unreformed this whole story, and struggles with the concepts even when he wants to be helpful, but the fact that his morality and modus operandi is far more 'villain' than 'hero' has been hidden by the fact no one is supposed to like any of his opponents, so that Protagonist Centered Morality papers over his actions. "What big babies. I knew for a fact that not a single one of them was physically hurt." Yes, but they don't know that. And the fact that they'll figure it out later doesn't mean they'll never have nightmares about this experience.

But, of course, it's not like he's going to be around to see any of that.

Also, Discord is also an emotion eater (or gets a bit of power boost from disharmonious emotions?) and his "no killing" rule is 4/5 cuz dead ponies aren't any fun.

And considering most of his backstory (minus some bright spots with Tia and Luna) it's a wonder he has any empathy left for Fluttershy to try to cultivate...

Not sure where I'm going with any of that...just...pointing out your deft use of Protagonist Centered Morality, I suppose. Not that Anon in particular, or Winnie, or the rape ponies, are defensible, but still Discord's method's are hilarious in the moment and frightening if one stops to think about it...that time when Discord unruled must've really been something, huh?

Loved every moment of Spike's conversation with Discord. Though now I'm wondering why the magic faded. XP Our world's version of Matrisse was partially successful?

OMG, is someone actually going to give Spike a roll in a non-Spike-centric story? That'd be interesting.

Thanks for the quick update!