Reviews for Of Stars and Spirits of Fire
acacia chapter 1 . 4/9/2003
Can’t log in, somehow, sorry...

A little late in the day to review... well, very late:-) I found it on HASA today, and hopped back here to review. Hope you receive it!

Very nice! A combination of fairy tales and middle earth, and I do like both immensely! This is beautifully written. I really liked the opening paragraphs. It’s very Tokienish and at the same time very reminiscent of all folk tales. And how nice to think of it being related to little children as a bedtime story across the middle earth.

A very interesting twist to the tale of Feanor and I suppose being Indian, I should have recognised it. Nut that I am, I didn’t until you mentioned it at the end.

Basically, loved it. :-)
Klose chapter 1 . 1/31/2003
Let me guess... this one's loosely based on the tale of Dhruva? I didn't realise it, until you mentioned it. (And I'm supposed to be a Indian/Hindu... oh boy...)

I thought this was a lovely story! You've got a definite fairytale in your hands, but I liked the twist to Feanor's tale. And it is a fairly plausible story to be told, because facts can be obscured over time.

And since I love Feanor, and think he's really jsut a sweet, kind boy on the inside (lol), this is one of my favourite Feanor fics! It's going into my Favourites list, for sure! :)
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
The Spirit of Fire transformed at last into pure light, and set where he can guide the Elves home from their long exile. What a wonderful image! Cirdan couldn't have had a nicer birthday present. I'd like to see you write more such tales (but only after you finish your Gwindor fic!)
BurningTyger chapter 1 . 11/26/2002
This was a wonderful fairy tale, told in a voice very much like Tolkien's narrative. I love that sort of writing...which is probably why I adored the Silmarillion while my cousin didn't make it through the Ainulindale. I don't know what to say: The idea of Feanor becoming the Pole Star, of Manwe and Varda coming down from Taniquetil to speak with him...It's amazing. I think I can only fit one more story into my favorites, so congratulations! You win the last spot...although I really need to do some clearing-out in that list. Again, excellent fic, please pardon the rambling. :)
Raindare chapter 1 . 11/20/2002
This is really beautiful.

It makes sense to incorporate some real mythology into Tolkien stories. After all, some of his ideas came from the same kinds of sources...

You don't make it sound like a simple interpretation - it really fits Feanor.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 11/18/2002
Very cool. Well, I am a fan of Feanor, and I'm rather fond of stories in which he's portrayed in a nicer light. This tale was certainly appropriate for him. The little bit that we see of his homelife really makes him sympathetic. Indis as an evil stepmother. :b His conversation with Manwe and Varda is what you'd expect of such a great Elf. I like the way you continually emphasize the goods that he did and the love that his people bore for him. And, in the end, he still did evil, but I'm really glad that Manwe, Varda, and Iluvatar chose a different fate for him. Yes, he really does make the perfect star, and it's very appropriate that he should be the North Star that guides mariners after the Kinslaying of Alqualonde.

Thank you very much for the bday present. *bow*
Kristian chapter 1 . 11/17/2002
Your talent at writing is truly amazing!

I can just picture Sam Gamgee tucking in his children while telling them this story. It's like a fairy tale!

Like I've said before, I didn't even need to read 'The Simarillion' to know what's going on. -Though, just a few days ago, I actually took some time to go to the librabry so I could put it on hold.

Wonderful work! I hope you update 'Atonement' soon!

~Kristain~
Finch chapter 1 . 11/17/2002
It's nice to think of Feanor as the star of the North - his fea is fiery enough tho shine in the skies. What intrigued me is that there was no mentioning of Miriel's death. Makes sense, as she was never really dead to Feanor.

Indis surprised me, though. Perhaps she had a bad conscience?
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 11/17/2002
Good adaptation of a traditional tale...I think I know what one. And its great to see some things inverted for once...like evil Indis *squeals*

Dont you dare go back to your corner!
Soledad chapter 1 . 11/17/2002
This is a wonderfully written story *and* a truly unique idea I've never seen before. It's hard to find something new nowadays, concerning Fëanor. Though I wonder: why you think Indis would be this cruel to him? Is she still jealous of Míriel? Nevertheless, it's a beautiful little story. I like your storytelling voice.
watcherchild chapter 1 . 11/16/2002
This has such a fairy tale like quality to it - I can almost picture this being told to little children beign tucked in for bed.

Wow, for a second, Indis seemed to be overcome with the same weirdness that Galadriel did in FOTR. It would seem so to a little boy, wouldn't it? :)