Reviews for Refraction
kim-onka chapter 1 . 8/13/2014
So chilling. And the palantir at centre of it all. Amazing.
EarthMama chapter 1 . 9/17/2012
.Story.
Obscure Bird chapter 1 . 8/26/2011
This is epic from start to finish. I like the little intro, where you start it off as a reflective, looking back in the dark and spooky past kind of thing. Sets an awesome tone, which you carry all the way through to the end, where you close by tying this eerie little incident with the palantir right up to the moment he is recounting it, and through it all the way to his own eventual death. Which is doubly cool, since you bring up his death (since WE know what happens) without having to go there directly.

I also liked the repetition, when he keeps saying he is not a heartless man. And that's true - you totally show that he truly is a decent man. But at the same time, you have him admit to some less than flattering thoughts and feelings. And that frankness adds a lot of power to the story, in a addition to the realism that comes from not writing black and white characters. Even the style is... I don't want to say plain. You're imagery is lovely, and the story reads beautifully. But the story is lean and kind of spare. No side tracks. It's quite fitting. And, in a way, that too is almost haunting.

Haunting, indeed, is a good word for the feel of this story. Great work! I know I'm a long time late for the party, here, but I applaud your fine work. Good job.
Fili chapter 1 . 12/24/2006
*eyes bugged, staring at screen* Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Very dark and full of dread.

I like that it's from Denethor's point of view.

The plot is really convincing. It scared me!
Phoenix.G.Fawkes chapter 1 . 9/10/2006
This is a great Denethor's POV. I liked how you portrayed his love for Finduilas and the reasons he began to resent Faramir, and his ambition and arrogance. But what I liked best were the last two paragraphs, in which Denethor finally seems to admit the truth to himself. All in all, this is very good and I enjoyed reading it.
Gerontius.T chapter 1 . 2/3/2005
Beautiful.
Rathien Nikolai chapter 1 . 2/1/2004
That was brilliant... a wonderful explanation for Finduilas' death. Bringing in the palantir was excellent, and your interpretation of Denethor was perfect.
Angel of Harlem chapter 1 . 9/22/2003
Wow! That's awesome! -is very impressed-

I'm glad there's someone out there who thinks Denethor's worth writing about (and someone who can do it well, too!) "I love the bitter ol' cuss just the way he is"
Shee chapter 1 . 5/18/2003
Ai, that was chilling. I honestly think it's a better explanation than Finduilas pining away for the sea.

The palantír reminds me of the One Ring a little - the way Denethor wants to get rid of it, and is unable to do so.
Venyatuima chapter 1 . 4/25/2003
*Doesn't like Sauron-tainted palantirs and hides*

lol, that was moving too. hey, I'm running out of compliments! It's all so good in every aspect, lol!
shadow975 chapter 1 . 3/14/2003
Wow, this is just chilling, and excellent. I put off reading it for a long time, because so often the word "sinister" in the same summary as "Denethor" indicates a "Denethor as abusive power-hungry loon" story. But I'm sorry I put it off, because you've painted a picture here so beautiful and so tragic, it just breaks my heart. Great work.
toturnagain chapter 1 . 1/23/2003
Oh wow. What a wonderful take on Finduilas' death (that sounds rather morbid...) I find Denethor & his family truly interesting...such a sad end all around! Great job.

Keep writing such good fanfic so we may be able to overthrow the Mary-Sue infested, Self-Inserted overrun, parody full with the good stuff that takes forever to find!
jenelin chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
Brilliant, in a deliciously horrifying way. I too have always found the pining explanation a bit suspect, and this is a harsh exploration of possibility. Wonderfully evocative. And I must say, nice to see some Denethor fic where he's not a complete bastard (or Denethor fic in general).
Moose Attacks chapter 1 . 1/9/2003
You know, it's work like this that makes me look at my own stories, and feel dismay. Work like this makes me want to try even harder to improve my writing skills. I don't think I've ever read anything more chilling, and thought provoking. I never thought of the palantir. Not once. It's a rather terrifying idea. I *did* think of the possibility of a third child, and have a bit of a fan fic put together, which I've pretty much abandoned, for fear of it being a Mary Sue (the child would have been a girl). Once again... VERY beautiful, very chilling story. Seriously, I can't give you enough praise. The parts about 'it watching', wow! Just amazing. :)
Altariel chapter 1 . 12/11/2002
I should have reviewed this ages ago, since I think it's terrific. Great first-person, excellent characterization, and very, very chilling. Another excellent story to add to your already impressive list.