Reviews for Black Sky
JustaDK chapter 236 . 2/8/2021
Very disappointed with this chapter, actually it's something I've been very disappointed in with this book.

For all the Canon changes, which are alot, and I'm happy to read them because it was interesting... somehow, someway, major Canon points still happen for the sake of story plots and alot of them don't make sense. DP still ending at the graveyard, Dungeon of mystery attack and Sirius death, Xanxus still getting frozen for many years, and now the stupid ring battle.
Mo.auxier chapter 64 . 2/1/2021
okay. so the first several times through, I missed that absolutely blatant hint about vonhola primo. wow. I feel like I learn something new every time I read this story again
Panjason chapter 60 . 1/18/2021
Wait really? Do you really have to keep Sirius’s canon death? Sigh...
Panjason chapter 41 . 1/18/2021
Hm... ok I think I will bite the bullet on the relationship. There are so many ways of making Byakuran a helluva lot more terrifying so I will look forward to the confrontation. Villains help make the story and I was pretty let down by the original Byakuran for all his inter dimensional knowledge.
fennec chapter 334 . 1/17/2021
I just finished reading through this story... Wow. The number of chapters in and of itself would be incredibly note worthy in a fanfic. The original ideas and sheer complexity of it puts it not on the next level, but shoots for the sky. I've greatly enjoyed reading what you've written so far and am beyond impressed with the amount of time and effort (which I'm probably underestimating) that you have invested in it.
angeleyes24245 chapter 333 . 1/16/2021
I decided to reread this lovely story lol I started on the 13th and am finally finished. Whew! Love it! Hope your muse comes back again soon and that you aren't quite so stressed now.
Royslady51 chapter 4 . 1/11/2021
Cackling is good...gibbering men is even better.
Panjason chapter 40 . 1/9/2021
Oof, ‘‘twas a fun ride, but hasty marriage no matter how backed by magic and instincts is a bit too uncomfortable for me. Even James and Lily’s sort of inexplicable relationship makes more sense.
I get how Xanxus being so pissed off in Katekyo hitman reborn was probably due to feelings of betrayal with the ninth being a total arse but that also points to getting to know him necessary.
Oh well I guess I will jump to your AU of Compass of thy soul. I thoroughly enjoyed your original version. I look forward to how your Izanagi exploits chakra and or forming relations.
Panjason chapter 39 . 1/9/2021
I hope Dorea isn’t so causally naive like this again. Almost feels like plot contrivance.
Vallaquenta chapter 173 . 12/22/2020
I feel like the way Xanxus is just able to adopt all languages, retain all knowledge etc. is starting to get a bit too much. I just can't fathom how he would be the only person to do such. Especially when he turns his attention to things, he just gets it right and becomes a pro at them. Runic alphabets? A few days and he's got incredibly difficult things memorised without difficulties. Scrying? Well, stick with pyromancy but he's a pro already.

It just seems to nullify all the hard work we've seen Dorea and her Guardians put into things. It kind of makes me dislike Xanxus because he's just too perfect in everything he does.

You just seem to give all these free things to Xanxus because he has to catch up and while I agree with him being fiercely independent and wanting to solve his own issues, I just fail to see how you cannot give him the tools to solve his issues with help from Dorea. He's been de-frosted for about 6 weeks by now (if I got the times correct) and you seem to want to give him the same tools Dorea has acquired in 20 years of living.

Due to all this, I feel like Dorea is also becoming less important as a character/being pushed to the background. Despite the previous chapter where she was accused of having an affair with the Egyptian dancer. It's like she's turned into a supportive housewife, which I feel is a role not at all suited for Dorea.

/rant

Anyway; the rest of the story is amazing. I like the backstory of the Superbi family and am eager to explore other families as well.
Vallaquenta chapter 145 . 12/21/2020
So a lot of the previous chapters I didn't review because I felt like I already explained quite a few of the feelings I had about them in earlier chapters. I know you explained in an Author's Note that all of the current events are happening within a week. I understand your reasoning and though it may not always look like it in the reviews I post, I really do admire the work you're doing.

The first point of criticism I have is the sidestory "Parenting is not a Varia Quality". While I think it's admirable that you're splitting up things you deem non-essential and shows you are aware of the fact that not everything may contribute to the story. However, I still feel that if you recommended readers to start with another story in order to understand something of the story they're currently reading, then it should be included in the main story anyway.

In earlier reviews I voiced my concern over magic and flames being opposites and hopefully still retaining the magical aspect of the story. But for a while all we've been seeing is the usage of flames, even though the start of the story was so immensely creative with your naming as well as the way things just felt 'Magical'. I hope that you can at least partially bring back those feelings of wonder and magic. This chapter brings back some hope because of the conversation between Xanxus and Dorea.

Another thing I like is how you still include little tidbits like someone having had access to Xanxus' wardrobe as well as the Superbi family and presumably other allied families being involved with 'the new Vongola heir'. In KHR I just fail to see how anyone with a proper mind could even consider making Sawada's son an heir when he doesn't know anything. Your portrayal of Federico, Enrico and Massimo also makes a lot of sense, as well as the reasoning behind getting rid of all of them, although Aria being 'defiled' and subsequently suffering heartbreak was incredibly sad.

I sincerely hope that we will get to see more interactions between the entire family as well, as that's your main story tag.

Another aspect you've included is actually quite brave in my opinion: Religion. Lots of magic stories focus on Paganism/Ancient Theology such as the Roman and Greek Pantheons, but your story actually focuses on Christianity. I sincerely hope we'll get to see some more reasoning behind this for Dorea. I know Lily was Christian and considered her magic a gift from God, but I sincerely doubt that any Blacks would consider such a thing and Dorea is raised a Black after all.

In terms of character portrayal I commend you for straying from the Anime/Manga stereotypes of loud and brash people getting things done by shouting. Xanxus actually feels dangerous as a character, especially when you included the little mirror call scene by Blaise when he requested Woodpecker feathers. Squalo also feels like an incredible character, in fact feels like one of the protagonists at this point. To add on to this I would love to see some breakdowns of how 'Human' or 'Magical Being' some of the people in Dorea's entourage are or just Dorea herself. Especially now that she's got the Deathly Hallows I'm hoping there would be something different in there...

Finally I would like to remark that the complicated and in-depth way you write greatly reminds me of the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series which I've massively enjoyed too. Thus far it's been a great ride, albeit very slow-paced so hopefully we get to see some more action soon.
Vallaquenta chapter 133 . 12/19/2020
Okay, so a very slow pace but we get to know some of the backstories of Xanxus as well as quite a lot of personal development. I personally think that the pacing may be a bit too slow to keep people interested because it's indeed quite sluggish. Not sure what could be changed though because it seems this is just your preferred way of telling a story.
Vallaquenta chapter 131 . 12/19/2020
For some reason, I feel like we really need a Pokemon x HP spinoff featuring Luna and Dorea...
Vallaquenta chapter 128 . 12/19/2020
The relationship between Xanxus and Dorea is something that will need work, which I'm glad to see. Especially after being separated for so long, they will both have to work for it to make their family a happy one. The little interaction between Hector and Xanxus is also adorable but feels very real. Mind you I have only a little experience with toddlers or little children so your description of them might be wildly inaccurate to an actual parent, but to me, it feels natural.
I hope we get to see Xanxus age in some way because I just don't see Dorea settling for someone who's her junior by quite a few years.
Vallaquenta chapter 109 . 12/18/2020
Your consistency in writing character perks is amazing.
I remember in one of the earliest chapters that you described Dorea's hair at becoming increasingly more curly when she's happy/content; the first paragraphs again shows that you keep everything extremely consistent throughout the story and haven't forgotten about these little details. Great job!

I once again express my hope for magic not being pushed to the background too much in favour of flames, but we'll find out in other chapters I suppose.

I'm wondering about the old deities. In earlier chapters, you said they were powerful wizards/witches that inspired these stories, so are they deified witches/wizard or actual Titans hence their god/goddess title?

All of the information about duelling/fighting styles is very interesting but it also feels a bit like too much of an information dump, there's just so much to remember. Hopefully, you will describe these again in later chapters.

I just had a bit an idea; the Prewett Twins/Fred and George seemed to always be very close to Lee Jordan; are we going to see anything of him or is he a character that's skipped in this story?
18,778 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »