Reviews for The End of the Affair
bmurd3rf4c3 chapter 8 . 10/16/2019
Simplemente maravilloso, tienes mis felicitaciones.
R-dude chapter 8 . 9/27/2019
I have never seen someone say nothing as elaborately, skillfully or in such a complicated manner.

I don't even feel bad for the the time I spent reading; I'm sure it pales compared to the time and effort you had to sink into writing it.

"Much ado about nothing" indeed. Genuinely, bravo.
IHateGenericCereal chapter 8 . 7/5/2019
Short and sweet. You have a way with telling a story, no matter if the ending wasn't a happy one. I gotta feel for 8man though, poor sap.
Osravix chapter 8 . 6/19/2019
Ngl, even though there's no happy ending, it's pretty good.
The Richmaster chapter 8 . 4/6/2019
Okay, I loved the melancholy throughout this story; it fits the themes incredibly well.

The reveal of who Satou is and why he was there worked brilliantly as a way of showing what lead to this happening and Hiritsuka giving the explanation worked brilliantly here... though admittedly, in my case this might have been further boosted by the fact that I watched Season 2 episode 8 just a few hours ago.

I feel that Yuigahama's situation is meant to be an odd mirror of this Affair and it does seem to work well for that particular purpose. And her own thoughts on the situation give a good opposing perspective for Hachiman to try and understand this from.

You did a brilliant job with writing this story and, after some research, I can see how you took inspiration from those other stories.
Thanks for sharing this experience.
The Richmaster chapter 7 . 4/6/2019
Okay, that was definitely not something that I saw coming but absolutely none of it strikes me as being out of character.

I'd guess that the detective is another of Yukino's manipulations, then

I've got to say that I'm very curious to see how you'll finish this
The Richmaster chapter 6 . 4/6/2019
This was brilliantly handled; the interaction with Kawasaki worked brilliantly and it seems that the core of her character remained the same.
And I really liked that graveyard talk; it explains a lot of what was happening in regards to Yukino's prior behaviour
The Richmaster chapter 5 . 4/6/2019
Well, that's admittedly a bit disappointing to find out but I did like the whole interaction with Hayama
The Richmaster chapter 4 . 4/6/2019
Ah, I did think it was strange that nothing more had been mentioned but from the looks of it this was an emotional affair rather than a physical one... though, I'm not sure whether that could really be called better
Yukino going missing is a fairly interesting thing to happen so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes

Komachi and Yui adding a touch of external perspective workked well too
The Richmaster chapter 3 . 4/6/2019
The follow-up here worked really well in their continued conversations and interactions, while also showing that they've both become jaded to their past.

I'm definitely curious about Haruno, though
The Richmaster chapter 2 . 4/6/2019
that was a rather touching interaction; it came across as a realistic way for these characters to grow and behave in response to what they've been through here.
Yuigahama was also fairly well done
Yagroh chapter 8 . 1/28/2019
nice
Guest chapter 8 . 1/16/2019
One of the best stories I have ever read
ShokuAnko chapter 1 . 12/26/2018
5 stars for the story. Fuck you for the ending.
Obsessed Lass chapter 8 . 12/1/2018
It's almost been two years since I read your story. I never wrote a review. Not out of callousness, but because I was too enervated after the whole thing. Neither did I favorite it, which was definitely due to childish vindictiveness. Now that I have come back crawling to Oregairu for god-knows-what reason, I felt I should pay my debts. After all, it had left a huge impression on me, no matter how chilling. It's undoubtedly a piece of art, man, but I don't think I have it in me to go through it again. I don't remember the particulars of the story, but the sense of inevitable tragedy is unforgettable. A tragedy that is bare, mundane, matter of fact: the quintessential story of the average insignificant superfluous man in the modern world. It's sneakily devastating, you know. Claustrophobic, hopeless, unleavened by the veneer of philosophy. You give a picture that's unremittingly bleak, my man, with nothing to alleviate the lingering ache except congratulating oneself on devouring a piece of literary (fan) fiction. Even Dickens changed the conclusion of Great Expectations to make space for hope(though his motivations might have been less than honourable). I can't help but wish that there had been something more than a despairing sense of finality. Nothing univocal. A tenuous thread would have done. The shadows of parting diminishing just a bit. But then everything happened pretty much inexorably and it would have perhaps compromised the artistic totality of the piece. Ugh. Anyways, I had to get this weight off my heart. Festering wounds and all that shit. But really man, you are one hell of a writer. I'd love to read your original fiction someday... as long as it's beautifully soul-crushing with a dash of hope.

EDIT: So I braced myself and read it once again. What do you know, it didn't feel as horribly enervating as I had expected it to be. Perhaps I have grown up a bit. Bonjour, tristesse! Or not. I spend way too much time scouring for happy endings in ff dot net for that. Anyways ... good thing that the internet decided to die before I posted my initial review. My thoughts about the the story remain more or less the sameit's a virtuoso piece of writing(though the fake-detective part felt like a rather forced plot-device). But the hopelessness was there all too faithfully; only it didn't feel like taking a sledgehammer this time. Perhaps there's hope for them after all. I would really, really, really like to believe that. For my own sake.
193 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »