Reviews for I See Who You Are
Cheile chapter 1 . 6/1/2016
Hi Onyx, I'm here for Reviewathon!

This is poetically beautiful and I love the multiple metaphors you used to describe both Finnick and Annie as well as their relationship and how each of them relates to the world. Using the story of Samson from the Bible was also a great touch with its parallels to Finnick's ordeals. (Except that Annie is definitely not Delilah.) the lack of dialogue is great because I think if there were more it would detract from your great descriptions.

I think my favorite piece of imagery is Annie screaming (roaring) out a challenge to the sea/wind/Mother Nature herself. It's like that Shakespeare line about being little but fierce.

Nicely written!
Gamemakers chapter 1 . 6/1/2016
So I apparently never actually formally reviewed this? Which is weird, because I beta read it and have definitely read it since, but whatever.

That first line is lovely. Actually, the entire fic is lovely. There's such beautiful description throughout the entire thing, and it complements the emotions so nicely. What you've done with the song is clever. I remember being so confused when I thought this was based on the Bible story, as in that it's a very bad thing that Delilah cut Samson's hair. It's a nice twist on you for introducing me to the song, btw. It's become a favorite.

I already got out all my concrit in the whole beta reading process, so you just get a giant chunk of glowing praise.

["Just old light, sweetheart. Just old light."] IM DYING
sakurasencha chapter 1 . 5/28/2016
This is a very beautiful piece of writing. I enjoyed the parallels of Samson and Finnick, and finally all the way back to their son. The themes of the stars, sand, and cutting hair. It all added up to a very poetic and satisfying tone. It was sad but understandable to see Annie lose some of that rawness from the beginning, but the conclusion was very well done. I think my favorite parts were Annie "roaring back" and the last three paragraphs where it came full circle with their child.

My one piece of concrit would be that I would have preferred more direct dialogue between Annie and Finnick. Very nice read!
four-legged clover chapter 1 . 5/27/2016
Aww yes, Odesta. Odesta seems to be CP's #1 ship, huh? This was a great writing of it, and I would be excited to read more of it. This does make a perfect one-shot, though. I also like your ability to make it completely obvious who the characters are without ever naming them.

Poor Annie. I'm so happy she got some Finnick time before he... you know. I don't want to jinx the story's aura.

Onyx, this is really just a breathtaking portrayal of these two. Your word choice makes the story just click into the right framework, and it turns it into a fabulous one-shot. Great work.
octocelot chapter 1 . 5/26/2016
Okay, I've opened the YouTube video for this song and will listen to the inspiration song as I review. I vaguely remember the Bible story.

That said, moving on to the story.

You open the story beautifully. The imagery creates a serene scene and I love it entirely. And then the rest stands up to the beginning and maybe even surpasses it? I don't know. They flow together to create a perfect whole.

I don't know how to express in words how much I enjoyed this fic. It's been a while since I've read something so poetic but un-pretentious at the same time. I fell in love with Annie as I read and then with Finnick and then both of them together. Wow.
Estoma chapter 1 . 10/12/2014
Oh my goodness. This. I just cannot tell you how much I loved this story. It made me cry, but it was beautiful.

You wove everything together so beautifully. Nothing was there without purpose. The waves like a heartbeat, the story of Samson, the haircuts, the stars and the old light, and the very first time we see Annie, they all come together at the ending and it is perfect.

The image you began with, Annie roaring her challenge to the waves and the gods, oh my, it is wonderful. Just perfect. That picture of her with her dress whipped up by the wind, and the waves, and her hair swirling like a flag, is just fantastic. It will stick with me. You should draw her like that.

So many lines I could pick out as exemplary, but I think I shall choose this one: 'And she roars back'. Stark and simple and wonderful.

This is perfect. Thank you.

Cheers.
TheJesusFreak777 chapter 1 . 10/12/2014
This is a really sad fic... Eerie, and chilling, and sad. I'm glad Annie had Finnick for some time before he died. The part about Samson seemed to really set an eerie/nostalgic mood. Really nice work!