Reviews for What You Leave Behind
Azreal02 chapter 4 . 4/23/2016
Elphias Doge gives them the first-year special quest item? Seriously? But then I guess the older Dumbledore's not around, and Elphias has always represented the seedy, compromised side of Dumbledore's manuvering. I wonder if Albus obliviated him with or without Remus' and Sirius' consent. I guess with, given the tone of the prologue.

"Hi, Harry! It's me, Harry!" Oh, damn. Are you serious? Is he talking to his unobliviated self like about person?

...Have I read this fic before? With an amazing Dumbledore/Sirius sparring scene, or am I getting reverberations from another fic in a similar genre?

I knew it was a Narnia closet before you mentioned the fur coats. That's amazing. A vanishing cabinet, right? But probably not the broken one from the room of requirements. I wonder if the favorite book he forgot was one of the Narnia series.

"And I know that Albus Dumbledore is involved." Well, damn. I think I have read this fic before. How could I forget? I guess I just failed to review. It serves me right. I remember the way this goes now. It had a fantastic use of magic, that was the thing I liked most, but I was somehow dissatisfied with the ending and promptly forgot it.

Damn. Well! Thank you again for writing! You wrote so well I suffered from amnesia, too.
Azreal02 chapter 3 . 4/22/2016
"… and I can remember doing things wrong, getting yelled at in different ways. When I was younger, I mean. But around seven, it's all the same. Same breakfast, every morning. The same memory, I think. There are lots of little things like that. Tests, homework, even the weather."

Okay, okay. So he traveled or lived with Sirius and Remus and now he has to forget about it for some reason. I still wonder how did it. That would explain the jokes.

Cedric didn't quite know what to say to that. The idea of not trusting someone was kind of a fuzzy one, something that happened in stories, or far in the future. Harry Potter, he supposed, had a way of making you think about all kinds of hypothetical things in a more personal way.

I like Cedric as the straight man. He's a friend and a mentor, but he's a normal guy. Bizarrely it makes Harry's whole situation seem more believable.

And now Aurors have come for him. I did not expect that.

Thanks again for writing!
Azreal02 chapter 2 . 4/22/2016
I'm sorry this is kind of stream of consciousness. I notice that if I write the review while I'n reading I'm more likely to leave one. Thanks again for writing! I'm really enjoying the story.

Cooking breakfast as a metaphor for leaving years of unpleasant but familiar territory. Damn. Poor kid.

"I'm chuffed to bits to be here." Ho-ho. Not going to be a story full of Americanisms, hmn? I've always wondered if fic by American writers is strange for British fans.

I guess it isn't strange for him meet Ravenclaws and Slytherins on the train. No one's sorted yet! I'm surprised Cormac is so chill with the Muggleborn, though.

And of course Cedric is cool and accepting. He always did seem like a cool guy.

"Something I can help with, miss?" asked Harry. "Don't worry, I'm a prefect."

A lot of people forget how snarky Harry is, and how bold. He's not shy or mincing in the least. He gets just about everyone good at some point in the books. I really liked this exchange.

...Vaisley isn't going to have a good time in Slytherin, even if he's cunning and ambitious. Man, I wonder how that works out and why nobody tells him. Then, maybe it's a less prejudiced world than I think.

"That last comment to Cedric had felt natural, and yet Harry didn't even understand it. " Interesting. And he's forgotten his favorite 'book.' Is this an- amnesia time travel fic? No, right? Legillimancy time travel fic? A literal AU fic? What genre are we in here!?

The same, all of them. Not similar. Not just the same food. The same memory."

Huh. Evil!Dumbledore fic where he tries to erase the abuse? The hell? This Harry Potter is an artificially created sentient object meant the mask the disappearance of the real Harry Potter?

...Maybe that's a little far-fetched.

Oh. Cormac's a Gryffindor. It all makes sense now. I don't know why I thought he was in Slytherin.

The mirror was chilling. What does that mean, that he doesn't have even vestigial memories of his family? Damn.

Thank you again for writing!
Azreal02 chapter 1 . 4/22/2016
I love Remus' anger in contrast with this resignation ("depression and inaction was about to end… one way or another") and also his spikes of sudden determination ("Only two living people knew it, now, and if Remus had his way, soon there would be just one.")

Sirius is not just a joker and Remus is not just the sensible one. I feel like that gets lost.

I was recced with fic with a single fact: at some point in this story a snake tells Harry to 'sssssscrew himself' and I thought that would be hilarious. Why are snakes always so helpful in fic? I didn't imagine the writing would have this much polish or pop. The scene where Remus unfolds the newspaper and how well that transition was handled made me decide I should read all of it.

Thank you for writing! I know this was written awhile ago but I was sad to see you had 2000 follows and only 700 something reviews. I'm mid-chapter as I write this because I had a lot to say and didn't want to forget it.

After finishing: Snape is delightfully bitter, and Dumbledore's regret is both poignant but somehow comes off as an afterthought? I feel constantly reminded that he still believes in the greater good and doesn't have any intention in changing his attitude in the future. I don't know how you manage to convey that.

Snape seems very young. They all do, but often Snape ends up seeming older than he is, like his brilliance with potions and his abilities as a spy should make him more emotionally stoic. I like him a lot more than usual.

Thanks again!
NouvelleVoix chapter 11 . 4/16/2016
I'm usually not a big fan of stories that change things from before the original books, but this story was well-written and very enjoyable. It's a shame that it hasn't been updated in so long!
Wolfman217 chapter 2 . 4/6/2016
Na... this is literally one of the MOST Un-Gryffindorish Harry's I've ever seen, so it makes no sense whatsoever for him to be sorted there.

And when something like that happens it doesn't bode well for the rest of the fic, so I'd rather not waste my time.

I'm done.
Dacowluva chapter 6 . 4/4/2016
This story is amazing. Your writing is amazing. Your spelling and humor is amazing. I'm in love with this. Not even kidding.
Good Idea chapter 1 . 4/2/2016
Oh dear. Severus Snape sure has an interesting way of mentally scarring innocent babies.

Although Christmas would have come early for anyone if someone's cousin made them dress like an idiot and made said someone call him/herself a stupid name.
drake.clc chapter 11 . 3/29/2016
Going through my emails and found the update notification from August last year. Terrific work. Hope you can continue work on the story. Best wishes to you. :)
Emeraldfireblade chapter 1 . 3/16/2016
Your dialogue is so well written! How does this masterpiece has under a thousand reviews?

Guardian of the Sacred Emerald Flame
Badgedbadger chapter 9 . 3/13/2016
"Well, at least I'm calm about it."

I love it. That's the kind of circular logic that's invincible if its, y'know, true.
mikaerusan chapter 11 . 3/8/2016
This... is the kind of AU I wish more people would realize is possible. Thanks for the trip, an I hope you make it all the way to an end. I will be there every new step of the way.
sww11685 chapter 11 . 3/3/2016
Excellent story so far, really enjoyed reading it, looking forward to what comes next.
Mr.Heller chapter 5 . 2/28/2016
Man, this is seriously more than I expected, awesome story!
lead me to salvation chapter 9 . 2/26/2016
This is a really interesting AU twist and I'm very much looking forward to seeing where you go with it :)
973 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 .. Last Next »