Reviews for Emerald City Lies
badwolf145 chapter 21 . 4/25
I've read this fic about four times now over the past year and I absolutely can not seem to get it out of my brain. Each time I've read it I've considered leaving a review before deciding it's been so long since an update it would probably just get swallowed by the void. But after so many rereads I feel like I've got to write SOMETHING on the off chance you're still getting email updates for reviews. So anyway, apologies in advance if this is kind of long and rambley, I'm just gonna go for it and cross my fingers that this is reaches you in some form.

This fic is hands down the best enemies to lovers fanfiction I have ever read. And that's my favourite genre of fanfic, so I've read a bunch of it. Honestly, this is one of the best enemies to lovers works of media I've consumed. You make the characters feel so alive and create their starting dislike of each other in such an enjoyable believable way. So often I find enemies to lovers fics either make the enemies section last one chapter or overcompensate it and eliminate any chemistry or common ground between the characters. You do a perfect job at transitioning from Elphaba and Glinda's initial mutual annoyance to their slow tolerance of each other to what eventually becomes a very touching friendship with PERFECT amounts of sexual tension. This fic takes its time with the slowburn and it works so unbelievably well. You manage to make the smallest moments and gestures between the characters completely melt my heart. The amount of emotional breakdowns I've had thinking about the note Elphie left in the sugar bowl...

Not only is the plot and character development perfect but your writing is... incredible. From a technical viewpoint but also the humourous style the fic is written in works so well? I've never laughed as much reading a fic as I have this one. In particular your dialogue is really sharp. You give all of the characters, even the most minor ones, such a strong personality. Not only is the dialogue ridiculously funny, but every character's personality and motivations are displayed so strongly through it. Reading this fic is such a visual experience, I can so clearly picture it as some sort of romcom spy thriller mashup movie.

The fact that it was abandoned before any kind of romance between Gelphie happened, or was even considered by the characters, definitely hurts my heart, but the slow burn is so well done it and the love they have for each other radiates from all their later scenes that it still feels like a proper Romance Story.

Some of my favourite moments in the fic:
- I've already mentioned it but the sugar bowl note is probably my favourite scene it's just so perfect and touching
- Any scene that Pfannee is in.
-Elphie and Glinda's first meeting it's indescribably perfect
- When they're staying up late in Glinda's apartment and Elphaba is talking about her family and fixing her coat
- Glinda automatically being able to name a whole list of thoughtful gifts Elphaba would like despite supposedly hating Elphaba
- Elphaba's long extended metaphor just to tell Glinda she has a cute nose

Some questions that will haunt me to my grave:
- I'm so interested in the story behind Glinda changing her name. It seems like it might have been hinted at that things with Dillamond played out in a similar fashion?
- Just the entire spy plot it was so well written and developed and you just did a really amazing job and it was such an exciting build up
- What Glinda's reaction would be to realizing she has Gay Feelings. I'm guessing from the long list of boring boyfriends that dating girls is not a possibility she's considered before.
-Actually Elphaba talking about her sexuality would be equally as interesting. What's her dating history like? How open about it is she?
-What happens to Lady Chuffrey I hope she's doing alright
- DO THEY EVER GO ON THE SKATING DATE

Anyways even if you do get this review this is probably more incoherent yelling than you'd care to read. I think my main point is just to say hey you wrote a truly incredible fic and have also kind of ruined all other fanfiction for me for not being nearly as incredible as this fic. Keep on being amazing, and if writing is something you're pursuing professionally good luck, I can't wait to see your novels in my local bookstore! AND on the off chance you ever get the urge to come back to this fic and give us even a sentence more of new content, you have one reader who will probably die first and then read every new word four times and then maybe die again. Either way, thanks for writing and sharing 21 chapters of a god tier fanfic, you've given me and countless others hours of amazing content.
Juntengo chapter 21 . 12/6/2018
It's been more than two years since this fic has been updated, so I have no idea if you'll see this. Either-way, I just want to thank you for writing this story. I love the relationship between Glinda and Elphaba in this story; this verbal sparring by which they communicate is a lot like in the book itself. The occasional softer moments where they confide in each other come so naturally. The plot is intriguing as well, this idea of Glinda and Elphaba being reporters is just so perfect. Of course Glinda thrives under the pressure of the spotlight of being live on news broadcasts and anchoring the evening news; of course Elphaba would be one of those reporters who goes right for the controversial and social issues.

I hope you're doing well in real life in the meantime, and if you ever decide to continue this story, I'll be following along avidly.
Kukunamuluku chapter 1 . 8/2/2018
What "Ash" said.
Ash chapter 1 . 7/12/2018
Hey, any chance you'll update this? o: I really really love it,,,so much,,,
Hei-Feng chapter 21 . 6/18/2018
Man, too bad this fanfic looks to be on hiatus, it is amazingly rivetting and the characters are so well recreated in this new setting. Really loved it while it lasted thank you
NessaroseAKATheLoveOfMyLife chapter 21 . 6/9/2018
I’m so sad this story was abandoned. I just love it so much!
Cool Beans chapter 1 . 12/28/2017
It’s become somewhat of a tradition for me to comment on this fic once a year, and I’m sure the writer has no plans on returning to finish it, but if by some chance you (the writer) do read this at some point, then let me say this just before 2017 is over: I still really fucking love this story.
DarkUmbreon19 chapter 9 . 12/24/2017
Ha love the guest star my girl Cleopatra
DarkUmbreon19 chapter 4 . 12/24/2017
AYyyyy Elphaba has entered and I am excited
El loopy chapter 13 . 9/10/2017
I have been slowly making my way through this story for the last few days and I wanted to pause here to say how much I am enjoying it.
The plot and the little details are excellent but more than that I am really impressed with how accurate you have their characters. Every so often I stop reading to just appreciate a particularly spot on moment between Glinda and Elphaba.
I look forward to reading the rest.
ribbit chapter 21 . 8/28/2017
I'm sceptical if you still read these things, but in case you do, you should know your writing is so enjoyable that it made me reconsider suicide. As in, I paused said consideration to binge the seemingly abandoned Emerald City Lies, and resumed consideration afterwards.

Are you gone for good, or should I still save a place for it in my bookmarks and bleeding, starved heart?

I will preemptively take your presumed silence to mean the year-long hiatus was to finish the rest of this four-volume saga and post it all at once, imminently. And that you cannot spare time to reply to messages in between zealously churning out fresh chapters. That's just terrific, I can hardly wait! It'll be like an early Christmas gift.
Ravencurls chapter 21 . 8/5/2017
Hi, just want to tell you know that I'm so missing this story!
Kimbus polly chapter 19 . 6/14/2017
Honestly Averics nick names and Elphaba's shade and burns are the best. Fantastic
Kimbus polly chapter 13 . 6/14/2017
They have the best chemistry
Heavenly Divine chapter 1 . 4/2/2017
Having abandoned a story myself, I understand when you just can't muster up the inspiration. As others have shared, I am also extremely upset you haven't updated in a year but there have been instances where a few stories I had in my alerts updated after a year or even two! I still hold a candle for this story and I always will. It is ...spectacular. You really have a gift and I hope you continue to write even if it isn't this story. We are fans of you, not necessarily this fic in particular. Your style has drawn all of us in. I would try to talk to about all of the things I loved about this story but I couldn't possibly. I loved everything. You are very clever and your Elphaba, is The Elphaba, as far as I'm concerned, any other portrayal seems OOC to me. With that being said, I hope if you are ever in the mood to write again you reconsider this story or at least sharing your new works with us here! 3