Reviews for Shard of the Beholder
dx-1118 chapter 2 . 12/31/2014
Hey man, got a Chirstmas/New Year's present for you: it's that review that I promised!

So again, I can't be as detailed as I usually am due to my lack of D&D knowledge, but what I can talk about is the writing itself. The detail is excellent, enough to properly describe everything, but broken up enough that it doesn't overwhelm the reader. The pacing is excellent too, and that's important since this is meant to be a horror story. We get a few little scares to start off, then the characters get separated, then we get the traps and our first monsters (I'm a fan of oversized spiders, especially web weaving ones), then the challenges get bigger (great fight scene, a Minotaur in a labyrinth, classic), and that scene at the end ... wow, now that was freaky, much like the movie which inspired it. Psychological horror is better than any cheap jump scare. Well done sir, well done.

Anyway, that's about it I think. Happy New Year! Good luck with all your future endeavours!
dx-1118 chapter 1 . 10/31/2014
Well, what can I say about this?
Firstly I must say that while I do like fantasy I'm not a D&D fan. I like a complex and interesting mythology as much as the next geek but I find that with D&D and the like I'm overwhelmed. So yeah, it's not my cup of tea unfortunately.
However, I didn't let that stop me from trying to enjoy the story. You clearly have a great knowledge of these things and it shows through clearly. You've put a lot of time and thought into this and that's great. You've taken the world and the characters and made a good story out of them. I liked the slow build-up, and that you didn't try to be scary right off the bat. Taking your time and building up to bigger, badder threats adds more suspense and tension, and anticipation for whatever horrors may yet await the heroes and the villains. So I will definitely keep reading.
Oh, and I know it's a little late but, Happy Halloween!