Reviews for In The Beginning
JacksonFarrell chapter 3 . 12/18/2016
I really like this. I'd love to read the complete version sometime.
SilverGrayAndMauve chapter 3 . 12/16/2015
OH MY GOSH. Mary Ann calling Gilligan "William" is my new favorite thing.
I don't know what to say, I just love everything about all three of these chapters. And I can't wait to see what you've got planned for the other characters!
Guest chapter 3 . 6/16/2015
interesting
autismmom31910 chapter 3 . 1/15/2015
Adorable! Great story.
TereseLucy384 chapter 3 . 12/30/2014
They are so cute, I can't stand it. I love when you write MAG.

Now, you know I am looking forward to the other chapters, too, as I love all your stories, but we both know MAG is (are?) my favorite. 3

(p.s. - I like little muscles, too)
TereseLucy384 chapter 2 . 12/30/2014
Awww, she didn't make it :/

Fantastic portrayal of everyone on the Minnow, by the way. It is so easy to picture this conversation and these actions going on. The characters are perfect.

But wait - they Have to come back for her. They HAVE to.
TereseLucy384 chapter 1 . 12/30/2014
Oh my goodness - how utterly adorable. I think I would have fallen for him right there. :)

I'm so glad to see you working on this story. I love your descriptions of the lounge, the sunlight, the hunched figure at the bar - (squeee)

Off to a wonderful start . . .
Clouddy chapter 3 . 12/2/2014
Yay, more MAG. The whole story could be them and I'd be good with that. :D
Magenta-Skye chapter 3 . 11/28/2014
Love where your taking this JWood! Keep up the excellent work and your muse will let you get back to work on the other tale when it is ready. Love that Mary Ann wants to be with Gilligan and how wise Lovey is on going back for Mary Ann. :)
Waldengarver chapter 3 . 11/28/2014
I suppose I'm biased because I'm partial to MAG, but I've no issues with three MAG chapters in a row. This was a lovely chapter!
Teobi chapter 3 . 11/28/2014
Three MAG chapters in a row. I ask you, what's not to love? **SWOONS**

I won't hate on your galley, I promise. Even if I did work on a boat for three years. (Our galley was always a mess, spilled tea everywhere.)

- Gilligan with his hat at a jaunty angle, making turkey sandwiches like Gaston Le Boeuf (made up name) at the finest French restaurant. You know he's in this happy mood b/c Mary Ann's aboard. Yay!)

- He can put caviar on my cracker any day. What?

- Gilligan dropping his carefully crafted sandwich as the object of his affection appears, bracing herself in the doorway as the little boat bobs. So cute.

- This is probably the second time he's seen her silhouetted in a doorway- the first time would have been in the bar just before they met. Silhouette motifs ftw!

- Love how Gilligan is so confident and show-offy on his own, but then turns all shy and bumbling when someone else appears. Aren't we all a bit like that? Singing in the shower but not out on the street?

- Gilligan admitting that he 'whined' at the Skipper so much that they had to turn back. SO ADORABLE! No other man would confess something like that!

- Gilligan's manly cowboy impression! Hot diggety. He and 'Miss Mary Ann' have hit it off so well. It's a good thing, because the 'sunset tour' is gonna become the next fifteen or so years. /
Also, I like how you mentioned the sunlight streaming in. That ain't gonna last long. And no matter how much you want to say "turn the boat around, and this time go back to the marina and stay there", you know it's not going to turn out that way. They've got some bad times ahead of them and they have absolutely NO idea. Right now it's all about haphazard turkey sandwiches and cowpoke impressions.

- I LIKE LITTLE MUSCLES! 'nuff said, whomp whomp. (Save the other stuff for emails, haha)

- Gilligan's awkwardness mixed with his excitement and his shyness and that little spark of self-confidence that allows him to strut around with his hat at a jaunty angle, makes him totally the most compelling and adorable character I have ever encountered. I don't blame Mary Ann for wanting to stay in the galley with him rather than be above decks with a bunch of much older people who don't have much to say to her. And the way you portray these two together, well, I've said it a million times before but you are the reason why I became a fan of GI so quickly, why it was so easy to fall in love with MAG and make them my OTP for life.

- "I've never met a hero before, either." And then his nervous laugh. AHAHAHAHA I can hear it so clearly. Then he'd be all *furtive side eye** and then of course, Skipper and his relentless interruptions. Making things worse, as usual.

- 'Free Lunch' almost became 'No Lunch' as the Skipper's foghorn blast makes Gilligan almost drop the tray, ending up with his hand sandwiched (pun intended?) between Mary Ann's and the tray. Skin contact already, yipe! (That's the good/bad thing about boats, depending on who you get to bump up against!)

- The awkward pause as the red creeps up Gilligan's neck and I'm sure Mary Ann feels something too. (Don't go there, Jules. Not yet, anyway. TOO SOON!)

- Gilligan, a tray full of sandwiches, and a rocking boat. What a recipe for disaster. (Except there's an even bigger disaster on the way so they'd better eat up real quick.)

This chapter is so adorable though. Bittersweet adorable, because you know the happy times aren't going to last long. If Mary Ann thinks he's a hero now, just wait until the storm hits!

I'm so happy you uploaded this. It may be Black Friday for some, but it's MAG Friday for me! MAG MAG MAG! WHEEEE!
Waldengarver chapter 2 . 11/21/2014
This is a wonderful story! The MAG moments are downright adorable. The Howells' interactions with everyone are delightfully amusing and Howell-ish. And I'm loving the banter between Ginger and the Prof.

Great job!
Guest chapter 2 . 11/16/2014
Good chapter. Hope you update soon.
Teobi chapter 1 . 11/11/2014
If there's one thing this Guest is doing it's bumping up the number of reviews you're getting for this amazing story!

I can assure Guest (and anyone else) that when my brother was a kid he was drinking Shirley Temples in a beach bar. He'd go around asking people if they were going to eat their cherries and if not, could he have them. I hated maraschino cherries clogging up my rum punch so he always came to me first. Children were allowed into the bar with their families for lunch, snacks, dinner etc.

If the bar in this story is near the marina it will probably be family friendly, kids will be in and out all day. There will be an outside seating area. This place could be a bar/cafe/restaurant type of place with an ice cream kiosk/soda fountain etc. It's only the fact that everyone smoked in the 60s that gives the impression it's a seedy joint full of guys drinking whisky in the daytime.

Chapter 1 has some of the sweetest MAG moments ever seen in fanfiction. That's probably the main reason Guest doesn't like it. She probably ships the non-canon pairing, the elephant in the room that we try not to talk about. :)
Guest chapter 1 . 11/10/2014
Excuse me, Blue, I wasn't nitpicking, I was merely making a comment, and I did say, that because Mary Ann didn't TRY to drink, was probably why the nice bartender let her in, and she had a chance to meet Gilligan, and become one of the seven famous Castaways.

No disrespect intended. AS I MENTIONED, I had to research this point quite some time ago, and it stuck with me. Try chilling out, Blue! I was reviewing JWood, not you.

I am also very interested in how this story moves forward. Keep it up, JWood!