Reviews for Holy, Holy, Holy
Amarantus chapter 1 . 4/19/2015
Gospel of Claire
Part Two

Woeful Yet Warm Tiresias

The following lines shall be dealing with the minute details of a certain sage. One cannot deny the fact that his current form differs from his chosen mythical counterpart, but certain crucial points speak in our defense and confirm that our choice was accurate. It is rather uncanny how the author had placed the chess figures on the board of the story, instinctively making them follow patterns that are in striking accordance with divine laws and characters, making it possible to create a "prima facie" conclusion regarding their role. Moreover, the funereal and sepulchral atmosphere of the Salvage Yard evokes the ancient plains of the Underworld, the resting place of Tiresias, the refuge of Bobby Singer. Do not be fooled with revered Robert's normal sight, for his eyes are perpetually fogged with invisible tears and images of unspoken horror, and his life condemned to resemble a choked sob. Wisdom acquired and squandered ceaselessly, ages and ages of serving and advising, struggling to return peace to both his heart and to the forsaken world. Wraiths keep him silent company, spectres belonging to abandoned and decrepit cars, the blood of his father whispering every day from the soil, life marred with festering death. Lo, Tiresias and Bobby are one and the same, for where doth the true difference lie?

And yet, it is not Odysseus that descends to the Princedom of the Dead, it is the Anti-Christ accompanied by another desperate prophet, the desecrated Sibyl herself. What chemistry occurs when two kindred creatures finally meet in person, when Tiresias lays his eyes upon another sad incarnation of the ancient times, when the young female oracle feels a stab of guilt at her own crude traits and makes a silent oath to herself to never disappoint her older peer? Solemn moments pass and a connection is made. Suddenly the veil of sorrow dissolves and a different tune graces our ears; the Underworld no longer appears as somber as before. Our hearts open to the true form of each and every ghost and remind us of their human side. The Salvage may be surrounded by grief, but it is also embraced by infinite tenderness and unconditional affection. Spectres offer a smile and a motherly kiss on the forehead. Meagre surroundings become irrelevant.

It is the warmth that breathes life into the desolate place. Here the Anti-Christ once again becomes an innocent Sammy, here the forgotten Sibyl regains the lost twinkle of happiness in her eyes. To a certain extent, Claire assumes the role of the observer, the accidental “intruder“, but a welcome intruder, as the Underworld accepts all without question, regradless of their background and origin, the Underworld is a Salvage, and there dwells a prophet, a universal family member, a mentor and father, protector and advisor, be it Tiresias or Bobby; one always recognizes them when the attention is brought to their eyes.

And what have those eyes beheld? Had they been blinded by centuries of events, by the wrath of the gods, their legendary jealousy? They did not yield and the soothsayer stood his ground and accepted the flood of carastrophes and the pangs of Time, holding his post. Sibyl herself had not mustered such strength when Delphi perished along with her childhood, as the soft fibres of her hope went into a catatonic state the moment Apollo vanished, her golden patron and sunlit king of all predictions, the very source of all her power.

Further inspection of Bobby's character can be seen in the lyrics of "Unknown Soldier" by Breaking Benjamin (but we strongly suggest the review to be read by listening to Ellie Goulding's "Mirror" and paying strict attention to the melody and shape of words, as it perfectly captures the colours of Claire):

Border line,
Dead inside.
I don't mind,
Falling to pieces.
Count me in, violent
Let's begin, feeding the sickness.
How do I simplify,
Dislocate - the enemy's on the way.

Show me what it's like
To dream in black and white,
So I can leave this world tonight.

Full of fear,
Turn back time.
You'll be fine - I will get left behind

Holding on too tight.
Breathe the breath of life,
So I can leave this world behind.
It only hurts just once.
They're only broken bones.
Hide the hate inside.

So I can leave this world behind
Holding on too tight.
Breathe the breath of life,
So I can leave this world behind.

Where does Apollo lie? Where is Odysseus imprisoned? Who wields such power to be capable of stealing prophets and kings, bending fate itself and showing no respect for the ancient words carved in the stone of destiny? Bring forth the symbolic weapons and allow the ancients to march one final time, give them your consent to attempt at retrieving their loved ones and soothe their dusty hearts, millenia had passed since their stories were sung, all bards long gone, the gods silent. Only memories remain.
Amarantus chapter 1 . 4/7/2015
Gospel of Claire

Part One:
The World-Weary Sibyl of the Modern Era

Approach, ye who enter these desolate living quarters, lay your doubtful gaze on these morose relics of a torn girlhood, feel free to contribute with your tears to the spectacle, offer a sacrifice to the formerly revered prophetess. Kneel before her azure gaze, allow your being to accept all preternatural visions she might grace our unworthy ears with. Hear, mortal! Cower, pray, for Sibyl chants once more! But, behold: gone are her gowns, gone are her worhippers, gone are the princes of yore, gone is her Delphi! Uncomely garments adorn her form, uncomely words slip from her lips, filthy oaths unusually mixed with untold wisdom, dripping with venom. Behold, she of the clear mind and clear wit, the "clara", the scorned and forgotten Claire clarifying the truth to the visiting Anti-Christ, responding one final time to the pleas of humanity, taking pity on humanity's ignorance.

(We also wish to point to the lovely work of Raphael called "Sibyls Receiving Instruction From Angels".)

The author of the piece shows us the encounter of two diagonally opposite worlds, two beings blessed with entirely different patrons (Angels and Demons respectively), and this encounter bears a specific purpose, the collection of information being only a temporary goal, for the ultimate prize is the discovery of the whereabouts of an unlikely duo: Dean and Jimmy Novak. As the dialogue gains progress, we come upon the frightful realisation that the "duo" is in fact a trio, one third of it being a mere vessel and a shell serving as a convenient way for an Angel to gain corporeal form, and, unfortunately, to gain access to the pleasures of copulation.

And yet, that is certainly not the only shocking revelation; we are regaled with the tale of fallen morals and dire poverty. The deities hadn't taken pity on the wretched creature with golden hair, there had been no guardian to provide shelter and love, no champion to defend her chastity, for the Angels are only led by the logic of opportunism and had therefore willingly ignored the perilous situation of the young girl-child. And so, the temple had been desecrated by the filth of terrestrial life.

We shall now be inserting the appropriate lyrics:

Going through this life looking for Angels
People passing by, looking for Angels.
Walk this world alone try to stay on my feet

Sometimes crawl, fall, but I stand up cause I'm afraid to sleep
And open my eyes to a new day, with all new problems and all new pain
All the faces are filled with so much anger
Losing our dignity and hope from fear of danger
After all the wars, after settling the scores, at the break of dawn we will be deaf to the answers

There's so much bigotry, misunderstanding and fear
With eyes squinted and fists clinched we reach out for what is dear
We want it we want
We want a reason to live
We're on a pilgrimage
A crusade for hope
Cause in our hearts and minds and souls we know

Going through this life looking for angels
People passing by looking for angels
Walking down the streets looking for angels
Everyone I meet looking for angels

So many nations with so many hungry people
So many homeless scrounging around for dirty needles
On the rise, teen suicide, when we will realize
we've been desensitized by the lies of the world
We're oppressed and impressed by the greedy
Whose hands squeeze the life out of the needy
When will we learn that wars, threats, and regrets are the cause and effect of living in fear

Who can help protect the innocence of our children
Stolen on the internet with images they can't forget
We want it we want
We want a reason to live
We represent a generation that wants to turn back a nation
To let love be our light and salvation

I became a savior to some kids I'll never meet
Sent a check in the mail to buy them something to eat
What will you do to make a difference, to make a change?

What will you do to help someone along the way?
Just a touch, a smile as you turn the other cheek
Pray for your enemies, humble yourself, love's staring back at me
In the midst of the most painful faces
Angels show up in the strangest of places

Looking For Angels, by Skillet

Let us examine the hidden crevices of our girl's mind. Many chambers can be identified, and if we avert our gaze to the left, we shall see a plethora of books and parchments, all the acquired knowledge, systematically stored and preserved for future examination. It is a lovely sight to behold! Just look at the volumes! No dust, no decay, perfection in all its glory. What else is there? Sunshine making its way through the windows? Approach, reader, and look through them; we see a child playing with her father, her golden hair waving in the wind, happiness and innocence. Detach, reader, go to the right; what is there? Entities turning her into an orphan? Oh, no, do not close your eyes, horror is an essential part of her personality; breathe in her fear, her cries, drink her tears, that's it, all to the final drop. After all, if she is forced to drink them all her life, why should a single cup be a problem for the observer?

Tragedies have made her callous to a certain degree, a natural defense mechanism was bound to form itself sooner or later, manifesting in her coarse language and attempts at flashing bravado. Sass and sarcasm her sword, innocent eyes her shield and mask, her knowledge her best armour. In other words, fully equiped for all escapades that may involve confronting preternatural creatures and leering hunters. The ethereal gift that runs through her veins giving her the necessary power to identify event the faintest trace of the creatures she despises most, the magnificent Claire is still ready to make her stand. Cynical and sober, lead completely by a sharpened survival instinct and an unyielding spirit, the Modern Sibyl smirks at us, her arms crossed over her chest, teasing us with her knowing gaze, playing with our curiosity, laughing internally at our bewilderment and apparent awe with her very presence.
Amarantus chapter 1 . 2/9/2015
Obsessions of the Suicidal Isaac

Associations and dissected memories are the eye of the storm, a sacred haven Dean desires to reach for the sake of the preservation of his mental stability and also to use it as proof that he is still clinging to reality. As symmetry claws her way to reach all aspects of existence, it is revealed that there are two images, an innocent pup clad in violet that conceals the face of Sam, connected to the savage doppelgänger from the depths of the Underworld, both fighting to prevail and allow their roots to penetrate Dean's heart. The glass bell Castiel desires to create shatters again and again, the walls of Troy destined to fall, Winter always comes to devour the fruits of Spring, rotation, rotation, reality, realisation...

Let us return to the hounds; multiple symbolism can be detected here, primarily the fact that Sam was particularly known for his shirt with a purple dog. However, we have also encountered a hell hound whose only purpose is to drag Dean's soul to Hell. Now, these two seemingly opposite factors may also reflect the fact that not only do they represent separate entities that have a different effect on Dean's life, but also a form of foreshadowing Sam's latent dualistic nature, both innocent and demonic, which was already explained in the former review. Let us also emphasise the fact that the hell hound was indirectly acting as a loyal servant to the future Sam, by paving him a way to reunite with Lucifer by dragging Dean to Hell in order to break the seal.

All preparation notwithstanding, the abduction failed through the efforts of the Angel of Tears and Solitude. We must compliment the grand architect of this literary piece for her stunning intuition when she gave Castiel this different role, and we are more than happy to explain why: two different angels claim that they have the right to have Dean by their side, one being his alter-ego, the other being his love and saviour- let us explore the origin of their names and compare them. One of them offers a false promise, a vague question destined to never meet an answer: Who is like God?

The second angel had been created to preside over the deaths of kings and never interfere; however, his name states otherwise and is perfectly incorporated into the story. Isaac was spared by divine intervention from his premature demise on the Mount of Moriah, and Dean was saved by Castiel, also known as Cassiel or Qafsiel, and his name literally means "Speed of God". Dean represents the Isaac that willingly sacrifices himself, willingly and gladly meets the axe of the butcher, willingly offers his neck. But the Speed of God forbids it and grants salvation. Now, concrete results and true salvation offered by the speed have more significance than the vague and ethereal concept that offers oblivion. Therefore, Castiel is the true guardian angel.

Psalm 22:16
Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet.

Psalm 22:20
Deliver me from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dogs.

The angel not only acts as a saviour, but also as a person touched by the disease of love, of longing, admiration, blessed with the image of beauty his beloved emits. Love and longing sprinkled with curiosity and lust. We describe Castiel's initial interest with these lyrics:

I'm sitting on the moon
Watching planet blue, hello
Looking all around
Rotating without sound, where are you?
Where are you? I'm sitting on the moon
Where are you? I am missing you

I came from very far
A little unknown star, hello
I don't know what to do
It's so cold and blue, without you
Where are you? I'm sitting on the moon
Where are you? I am missing you

"Sitting On The Moon" by Enigma

The following pools of carnal desire are perfectly described thus:

Smell your skin
Feel your breath
You on my side
I couldn't resist
I hope I'll understand some day
What's the meaning of this crazy game
It is real and pure
If there's no pain
Rules are still the same
I'm with you, just lead me
I'm ready to play
T.N.T. for the brain
Don't be scared and have no fear
I will show you what it means
If there's no pain
Rules are still the same
I'm with you, just lead me
I'm ready to play
What you feel is insane
It is love and not a game
Enigma-T.N.T. for the Brain

A melange manifests itself, an entire spectacle of emotions, bleeding and healing. Dean makes the comparison quite accurately in his statement that John was God, and God doesn't tolerate insubordination, demands the impossible, breaks families, mocks all forms of love and only abandons, abandons, abandons...but one son refused to cooperate. One son that claimed that his love went above and beyond, a son that mirrors the Devil himself in his ambition, the young Sam. But Dean took the burden, he was never the reluctant Atlas, he was the altruistic Prometheus that suffered the atrocious punishment for offering humanity the warmth and power of fire.
Amarantus chapter 1 . 1/4/2015
(read the one below first, I had to write this one too cause the one before was too long and was cut)

..." Thereupon Moses prayed to God in these words, "O may it be Thy will, my God and the God of my fathers, not to let me fall into the hands of this angel."

The Archangel Samael is described as the second husband of Lilith and the 17th century Kabbalistic traditions describe them as "Leviathan the Slant Serpent and Leviathan the Torturous Serpent". By destroying Lilith, his adversary and "virtual spouse", Sam was in fact liberating himself and laying down his life philosophy and choices, rejecting his heritage. Considering the fact that Lilith is often equated with the creature known for her infanticide tendencies, in other words the infamous Lamia, we can pull the parallel with Sam (eventhough he dealt with Azazel) in which he represents a child that was spared and saved from the darkness by his own brother, the one that nurtured him and protected from all harm, allowing him to develop his own Light and resist the budding Darkness. Unlike Lilith, he is capable of returning to the light, constantly shifting and using his powers for a greater purpose, never imposing harm on the innocent. Lilith as Lamia is devoured by her own insane lust, her infamous infanticide tendencies reaching legend. Lilith can also be equated with Lamia through the association with the Serpent, and it should also be stated that the Dragon was thought to be the matchmaker of Samael and Lilith.

In the ultimate battle of his own Good and Evil, Sam primarily decides to act in the name of brotherly love, shedding his serpent skin and rejecting his otherworldly bond with his demonic heritage. However, the Universe is conspiring against him, and we praise the author for adding the element of surprise in the form of Nicole, instead of "Nick"; it foreshadows wonderfully all the future events and the introduction of Lucifer.
Amarantus chapter 1 . 1/4/2015
Gospel of Sam:
Latent Anti-Christ with a Hole in His Heart or The Exploration of Dualism with Emphasis Placed on the Archangel Samael

The grand architect of the story had conceived a structure that allows the reader to pass from the realm of Dean's dissipated nightmares to the domain of Sam's bitter reality. Dean's sulphurous visions of an unknown past are blown away by the strength of the Angel's wings, restoring mental peace and soothing the damaged man. The nocturnal demoness effortlessly eliminated and treated as a mere apparition, innocuous and easily dealt with. The disappearance of the foul dream is mirrored by the actual destruction of Lilith when we commence with the Gospel of Sam; the author has imbued the entire story with symbolism that is intertwined with the mirror effect. When juxtaposed, we can see that the author has indeed created perfect puzzle pieces that were meant to go hand in hand.

The following patterns were discerned in the Gospel of Dean and Gospel of Sam:

1. Yearning and memories:

a) Dean's yearning for an undefined object and vague images of a potentially non-existent, albeit incredibly vivid, past. Memories primarily evoked through the scent of chamomile, the potential symbol of an innocent child, motherly instincts awakening despite the fact that no child had ever been created through the use of his flesh and blood.

b) Sam's well defined and meticulously lined memories of his sibling, his protector, the embodiment of both Mother and Father; primary scent the opposite of the tender chamomile, manifesting itself through the combination of rain, leather and pine. The symbolic innocent child being the Impala, serving as a way of depicting the priorities and characteristics of both Dean and John.

2. The author masterfully demonstrates the texture of their cores, delving into the very fibres of their personalities.

a) Dean's rough exterior combined with a tender soul, a scarred and battered creature trained to hunt and kill, altruistic to the point of being suicidal, survival of no import. The obedient soldier, brainwashed champion, defender of the ideals of the omnipotent and authoritative Father, lack of self-respect and critical thinking. The finest blade crafted through the hard beating of the mallet after being broken and bent, consumed by the acid of his Father's words. Foreshadowing of being the true vessel of Michael.

b) Sam's initially mild and pacifist nature suddenly encountering foreign sentiments, his light exterior shattering, dark pools stirring within and turning into oceans, obsession and retribution awakening his inborn darkness and claiming their gruesome legacy. Questioning and doubting his Father's judgement, leading a revolution and banishing all former prejudice, hatred, disappointment, indomitable will and desire to lead his own life. The accuser and the true vessel of Lucifer.

3. The presence of decrepit and abandoned buildings (and, of course, the presence of the chamomile flowers that were called ordinary and common in both Gospels, but their healing properties and worth had proven those assumptions wrong).

a) Dean not being given permission to tread the dark corridors alone, his guardian isolating him from all harm and not prepared to expose him to any further trauma.

b) Sam freely facing danger and growling in the face of Horror, his own unexpected ally arming him and giving sage advice how to conquer the fiends that lurk behind the corner. Castiel's reflection appears in the form of John Constantine. He bears a striking similarity in Castiel's usual clothing, only disheveled, his personality practical and sarcastic, straight to the point and world-weary. His main goal is to warn and prepare Sam, hand him useful tools for the upcoming battle.

The aforementioned facts have barely scratched the surface of the narrative's intricate symbolism, but we must proceed with the analysis.

We praise the marvellous rendition of Sam's emotions and nostalgia, as well as the interpretation of the Impala's reactions as a form of mourning. A silent funeral march echoes in the lion cub's damaged heart, releasing venom in his system, bloodthirsty and murderous, all remorse forgotten and the void desperate to be filled with a myriad of demon corpses. But to no avail, the crater continues to broaden, the underground rivers eroding all in their path and revealing Sam's true self. However, the darkness was begotten by light, carnage performed in the name of everlasting love and loyalty, no dark intent involved.

Particles of hope serve as nourishment, signs of his brother's still beating heart shoving electricity back into his nervous system and encouraging him to overcome all obstacles. We shall place the lyrics of "Memories" by Within Temptation as an accurate demonstration of Sam's turmoil:

In this world you tried
Not leaving me alone behind
There's no other way
I'll pray to the gods: let him stay

The memories ease the pain inside
Now I know why

[Chorus:]
All of my memories
Keep you near
In silent moments
Imagine you'd be here
All of my memories
Keep you near
The silent whispers, silent tears

Made me promise I'd try
To find my way back in this life
I hope there is away
To give me a sign you're okay
Reminds me again
It's worth it all
So I can go home

[Chorus]

Together in all these memories
I see your smile
All the memories I hold dear
Darling you know I love you till the end of time

Strife and frantic searching depicted by "Somewhere" by the same artist:

Lost in the darkness
Hoping for a sign
Instead there's only silence
Can't you hear my screams?

Never stop hoping
Need to know where you are
But one thing's for sure
You're always in my heart

[Chorus:]
I'll find you somewhere
I'll keep on trying
Until my dying day
I just need to know
Whatever has happened
The truth will free my soul

Lost in the darkness
Tried to find your way home
I want to embrace you
And never let you go

Almost hope you're in heaven
So no one can hurt your soul
Living in agony
Cause I just do not know
Where you are

[Chorus]

Wherever you are
I won't stop searching
Whatever it takes me to know

We have taken the liberty of tracking down the significance of the Tower of David, or Migdal David, and delved into the etymology of the name itself: the name "David" literally means "beloved". Sam's full name is Samuel, or "Name of God", and is the namesake of the very prophet that anointed David as the King of Israel. Not only that, but he also shares the preternatural gift of clairvoyance, along with other powers bestowed upon him through the injection of demon blood. Considering the fact that the author begins the Gospel with the citation of a man searching for his "beloved", we can literally say that here Samuel (Sam) asks "Where is my David (i.e. his beloved Dean)?"

Here is the full citation of the Tower of David:

Song of Songs, 4:4כמגדל דויד צוארך בנוי לתלפיות אלף המגן תלוי עליו כל שׁלטי הגבורים׃

Hebrew Transliterated:
Kemigdal David tzavarekh banui letalpiyot elef hamagen talui alav kol shiltei hagiborim

King James Version:
Thy neck [is] like the tower of David builded for an armoury, whereon there hang a thousand bucklers, all shields of mighty men.

All that aside, the destiny of Sam is written through his complex and pre-destined relationship with Lilith, as well as his other, and probably more accurate namesake, the Archangel Samael.

The author allows Sam to acquire a vengeful spirit, therefore eliminating the option of him being a mere Samuel or "Name of God", thus offering an avenue in which he fully assumes his hidden form of Samael or "Wrath of God". The absence of his brother transformed him, emancipated him and revealed a ruthless mercenary that destroys for his own goal, begging for his brother to be found, trying to placate his obsession. His true spirit had manifested long before during the period in which Dean gave up and resigned to his fate. Sam refused to accept it, he kept on going against it, challenging it and resenting his brother's behaviour. It can be described as another manifestation of Lucifer's traits that encompass the will to bend all in his way and create an exit when there is none. Unlike Dean, Sam is not afraid of wanting things. This was proved during Sam's conversation with Constantine, his own version of Castiel: Constantine offers help and states that Sam is worth saving. Sam accepts it. When compared with Dean and Castiel's first encounter, Castiel realises that Dean is convinced that he does not deserve salvation.

Samael is an Archangel that is both good and evil, and described as an "accuser, destroyer and seducer", but also as the Archangel of Death. He was the ruler of the Fifth Heaven, and in 3 Enoch 26:12 described as the ruler Rome- the City on the Seven Hills that bears an important role in the Apocalypse lore. True to Sam's accusations thrown in the direction of John Winchester, Samael is called the "Prince of Accusers" in 3 Enoch 14:2, and sitting together with Satan in the heavenly court. Not only this, but Samael was also cast down from heaven and tried to drag Michael with him by grabbing him by the wings.

We found this citation about Samael in the Ascension of Moses:

"Moses was disquieted when he looked upon them, but Metatron embraced him, and said, "Moses, Moses, thou favorite of God, fear not, and be not terrified," and Moses became calm. There was another angel in the seventh heaven, different in appearance from all the others, and of frightful mien. His height was so great, it would have taken five hundred years to cover a distance equal to it, and from the crown of his head to the soles of his feet he was studded with glaring eyes, at the sight of which the beholder fell prostrate in awe. "This one," said Metatron, addressing Moses, "is Samael, who takes the soul away from man." "Whither goes he now?" asked Moses, and Metatron replied, "To fetch the soul of Job the pious." Thereupon Moses prayed to God in these wor
Amarantus chapter 1 . 12/11/2014
Gospel of Dean:
The Anointed Yet Wounded Lion or The Captivity of Modern Odysseus

Persecution and Pursuit, the dire twin sisters, brandishing their blades in his direction, thorns that do not guarantee the route to the stars, the frantic heart of a maimed lion ripping its way out of the ribcage, slowly devoured by the notion that the cub it desires to protect will remain alone, forlorn, forsaken, famished and left to fend for itself. But the lion chooses to lure the hunters away from the sacred haven of its younger sibling. However, its basic survival instincts and inherent pride have absolutely no intention of allowing it to surrender to its impending demise without resistance. Moral supremacy and regal pride struggle to prevail, the final roar craves for release. Alas, the flesh is flawed. Floods of energy reduced to droplets, trees grinning mockingly and collaborating with the harbingers of damnation, eager to find a remedy for their ancient idleness by bearing witness to carnage.

Collapse...remnants and relics of magnificence. The dirge composed in his honour rings in his ears, the shears of Atropos aproaching the thread of his life. Shears dipped in contempt and humiliation, shears with his name engraved on them, shears that condemn him to eternal servitude.

We shall insert a citation here, the lyrics of the song Gethsemane by Nightwish, to be precise:

Toll no bell for me, Father
But let this cup of suffering pass from me
Send me no shepherd to heal my world
But the Angel - the dream foretold
Prayed more than thrice for You to see
The wolf of loneliness in me
...not my own will but Yours be done...

A new element is introduced, the prospect of salvation. And we arrive to the transition from Gethsemane to the Gospel of Dean. The supreme architect of the story introduces a game of lights, detached from reality, a place that soars beyond the shackles of past and future, focusing on the everlasting present. Contrasts playing with our senses, dulling the pain and replacing it with tender caresses, untold pleasure and reassuring warmth. Gentle oblivion cups Dean's face and blesses his lips with the sweet waters of Lethe, erasing his grief and cleansing his mind. A primordial being confiscates the hazardous toy from the orphaned lad, chastising him lovingly for craving such dangerous thoughts. And soon, the lad forgets he craved them at all.

We shall place the rest of the lyrics here:

You wake up, where's the tomb?
Will Easter come, enter my room?
The lord weeps with me
But my tears fall for you

Another beauty
Loved by a Beast
Another tale of infinitely dreams
Your eyes they were my paradise
Your smile made my sun rise

Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose

I knew you never before
I see you never more
But the love, the pain, the hope, O beautiful one
Have made you mine, 'till all my years are done

Without you
The poetry within me is dead

The phoenix escaped the mandatory stage of facing the pyre and was granted direct access to a new life. Cosmic energies being disobeyed by the Angel of Tears and Solitude. He who presides over the deaths of kings had decided to spare the princeling of his gruesome fate. The walls of illusion must remain intact if the princeling is to remain alive and protected from the ascension to the deadly throne. For kings suffer greatly, kings serve prophecies, kings are murdered and overthrown.

And what better way to honour the newly-born princeling, the revived creature that never truly died, than with myrrh? Worshipping and anointing him, savouring his sacred being on the perpetual symbolic representation of the Holy Wednesday, the day Mary of Bethany anointed Jesus, denying access to the Thursday of Mysteries, the day of the Last Supper, by distorting his sense of time, creating a mesmerizing haze laced with love and affection, slowly leading the princeling away from the haunted castle. We place emphasis on the passage in Exodus 30:29: "You shall consecrate them so they will be most holy, and whatever touches them will be holy" and Exodus 30:32: "Do not pour it on anyone else's body and do not make any other oil using the same formula. It is sacred, and you are to consider it sacred."

Our interpretation of Dean's question about the advent of Friday, without even mentioning Thursday, is based on the fact that the Good Friday represents the day of crucifixion in the Holy week, a symbol of his temporarily frozen destiny. His real Thursday has already passed, Judas has already betrayed him, his time was due a long time ago, his death remaining the last task to be achieved. Castiel stopped the natural order of events, returning them to the day of anointment, never allowing Friday to collect the lost heir. After all, Fridays are dedicated to Venus, and Venus is dedicated to Lucifer.

Myrrh also serves as a connection between two lovers, two beings completely lost in each other's presence, scents, lust, love, pleasure, all of them snaking around both paramours and transcending reality. The Angel giving itself completely to the process, the princeling silently tormented with doubts of the Angel's true feelings and intentions. Secret disappointment in the Angel's alleged inability to fully comprehend the true nature of lovemaking. The princeling remains patient and intends to let the Angel learn. However, the Angel always asks for permission and consent before proceeding with their carnal union, remaining true to his beloved and respecting him. We found wonderful citations in the Song of Solomon that mention myrrh:

Song of Solomon 1:13: My beloved is to me a sachet of myrrh resting between my breasts.

Song of Solomon 4:6: Until the day breaks and the shadows flee, I will go to the mountain of myrrh and to the hill of incense.

Song of Solomon 5:5: I arose to open for my beloved, and my hands dripped with myrrh, my fingers with flowing myrrh, on the handles of the bolt.

Song of Solomon 5:13: His cheeks are like beds of spice yielding perfume. His lips are like lilies dripping with myrrh.

But the princeling subconsciously knows that it is already a tortured king, innocence taken away and ripped to ribbons, nightmares taunting him with their awful crescendos in his ears, constantly returning to chew on his insides, attempting to eat him whole. Dean realises that he is not a mindless child; indeed, there is darkness lingering. Darkness mitigated by the scent of chamomile, the scent that belongs to the one who truly is a princeling, or at least to the person that has already reached the status of an independent prince. The azure serenity of the Angel's eyes offer the idyllic imagery of the Baikal, invite him to drown in the cerulean depths; but does that vision also summon the memory of his Baikal sawed-off double barrel shotgun?

Fragments keep Dean anchored to a forgotten life, summoning unknown, yet incredibly familiar, motherly urges. A different angel starts to prance around his mind, an angel with auburn hair and hazel eyes, a lion cub that loves to play with chamomiles, a nameless child looking up to him and seeking protection. The more energy Castiel pours into making Dean forget, the more associations he throws at him. Simple bits and pieces invoke the image of the innocent child surrounded by a scented aura, forever engulfed in chamomile.

But there are two sides of the Moon. All its holy attributes aside, myrrh means "bitter". The Holy Wednesday also being known as the Spy Wednesday or Black Wednesday, foreshadowing the betrayal of Jesus. Slivers of memories and shadows return to Dean at night, eager to return to their rightful place and destroy his temporary inner peace. Blood and ashes linger in the air. The holes in his mind slowly become unbearable, and there is only so much Castiel can do to keep erasing them, again and again, keeping him away from the world and sheltered. But Dean longs to remember.

We made a little parallel with Hannibal in this meaning:
“In the vaults of our hearts and brains, danger waits. All the chambers are not lovely, light and high. There are holes in the floor of the mind, like those in a medieval dungeon floor - the stinking oubliettes, named for forgetting, bottle-shaped cells in solid rock with the trapdoor in the top. Nothing escapes from them quietly to ease us. A quake, some betrayal by our safeguards, and sparks of memory fire the noxious gases - things trapped for years fly free, ready to explode in pain and drive us to dangerous behavior...”
― Thomas Harris, Hannibal

Indeed, the decrepit living space represents a reflection of Dean's mind: dark, damaged, deranged beyond repair. Castiel does not allow him to wander alone through the corridors of his mind and house, let alone letting him travel to the upper floors of both building and consciousness. In this aspect, Castiel assumes the role of Calypso soothing Odysseus and keeping him from his true path. It is also his way of battling the Apocalypse, for the very name of Calypso means "I shall conceal". That concept is the mortal enemy of "I shall reveal".

And yet, Castiel continues to persist and defy the Fates in his mission, regardless of risks and danger he might find himself in. His mission is holy, his cause is holy, and his king is holy.

The next review shall continue with the previous subject and it shall incorporate the next gospel.
Amarantus chapter 1 . 12/10/2014
This first review shall bear the significance of a mere preface, a prologue, and it shall lay down the fundaments of the entire structure that I had conceived beforehand, serving as a basis for further orientation and acting as a catalogue. The entire commentary (i.e. all the following reviews) shall reflect the literary piece by following the pattern of the gospels and their respective main characters. The recurring elements in each gospel and their symbolic meaning shall be meticulously explored, connected, dissected, tied to outer sources and emphasis shall be placed on their role of representing the veins, arteries and capillaries that conduct the blood of the story (the source of that blood being the heart itself- Dean Winchester).

Reviews shall be coming in as the story progresses, as each gospel is studied analysed, and as much as the Commentator will have the time to return to the computer after finishing her homework (little joke aside, to make it stop being so formal). Now, let the journey commence, we will rev up the engine of the Impala, put Lana Del Rey on the radio, and hit the road...