Reviews for The Ball is in Your Court
FineEyesPrettyWoman chapter 6 . 11/5
College housing is different in every country and era. when I was in college in the 80s my (huge basketball devoted public) university in NC (guess which one? not the one that wears red and white) had over 5000 undergraduates and dormitories ranging from tiny shared rooms on the 'historic' campus to apartments like you describe in your AN but only in the very very newest option: privately owned dormitories. I was in a 'high rise, which had suites of 4 rooms to house 8 people, who shared 2 sinks, a shower a toilet and a single toilet and urinal since the building was meant to house a thousand male students 16 years before when the limited number of women were housed strictly in an old fashioned house system to protect their virtue. 8 floors, 4 wings per floor, 4 suites per wing, 8 residents (usually) per suite. There were communal kitchens on every floor provided a stove and refrigerator for the 90 people living there and were unusably filthy by the end of the first week. (someone went fishing and put their uncleaned, unguided and unwrapped catch in our freezer and that was the end of anyone ever using that refrigerator for any purpose.). laundry room on ground floor and do not leave anything thinking you can come back later. People would remove clothes mid-wash or mid-dry if no one was guarding the machine.

My freshman year the dining room in our building was being renovated. the next nearest building was a high rise devoted to athletes in single rooms and their dining room was not open to non-residents, the next nearest was limited to grad students (single rooms here too) also not open to non-residents for eating. the 4th high rise was the other side of the construction site for the new basketball center, on a poorly lit path between that and yet another medical center expansion being constructed, so I didn't want to go half a mile, on foot, further from campus for breakfast, or after dark. So I ate at one of the central campus dining halls for lunch, and otherwise survived on granola bars and cookies and pop tarts and beef jerky and things like that sold at the 7-11 type shop in the basement. They sold fresh fruit and veg too, but is was often in terrible condition for the price. I had no car, microwaves and hot plates weren't allowed (because the building wasn't wired for all the cooking, music, and personal care appliances that had come to be normal since 1960-whatever they inspected regularly and could kick you out for breaking the honor code as you had signed a paper swearing to not even have the cooking stuff, and to never plug more than X watts in at once, nor to ever use extensions cords to plug more than X items in at a time.) I couldn't afford the time nor the money to hike to the top of the campus where there is street of restaurants and all. (though if I had, at least they nominally catered to students back then, fast food and cheap diner type places. many of them are now 'fast casual' brand name places or even fine dining that students can't afford even irregularly but alumni can) I didn't have my own fridge until I acquired a used one after someone dropped out and abandoned it, unplugged for moving but somehow left behind and full of spoiling food by the time fall break was over. I paid their ex-roommate $15 for it rather than wait for her to give up and throw it out and someone else dig it out of the dumpster. So now I could have some yogurt and cheese bought at the basement shop for exorbitant prices, or produce if I got there when it was delivered and not picked over. Also by that time I had learned you could heat cans in a coffee percolator by using it as a sort of double boiler for the opened can so now I could have overpriced soup or ravioli or beef stew or canned sloppy Joe mix eaten with a spoon straight from the can.

I kind of envied the girls of the 1960s, limited as their course options were (nursing, dental hygiene or any other subject but only to the level necessary to be a teacher. a very, very few were allowed into pre-med, pre-law and even fewer into those or any other graduate programs.) They lived in a 'house' and though they had to show up during the limited time windows for each meal and suffer the housemother policing their dress code requirements, they got 3 complete meals a day cooked for them and served at a proper table with tablecloths and everything. No men being allowed anywhere in the house but the sitting room by the front door where the housemother watched the comings and goings sounds like a worthy trade off for being well fed.
sunshineandsparklesfan chapter 33 . 8/14
LOVE the ending! The interview was a genius way to write the epilogue. Thanks for the story!
sunshineandsparklesfan chapter 5 . 8/13
Seriously, people are riffing on the height difference? I have a good friend happily married for over 20 years whose husband is 16" taller than she is. Since a lot of his height is in his legs, they are only about 5 or 6" different when they sit on the church pew together.
Escapee2FF chapter 33 . 7/28
so good
Excited to read
acciovader chapter 33 . 12/10/2020
i loved you story so much! so heartwarming and perfect! you’re a fantastic writer and I loved your characters very much. thank you so much for bringing this jam into the world!
acciovader chapter 25 . 12/10/2020
“down there” what the hell is wrong with you people? earth is ROUND as far as i know this could mean that you guys are DOWN THERE and not us
Anonymous chapter 33 . 9/7/2020
Beautiful just beautiful...I was hooked to the story. I loved how it shows more of the romantic side of pride and prejudice and how much Will loves Lizzie. I have read so many modern fanfics but this is by far the best...I know this is a lot to ask but can you do a sequel?
Levenez chapter 33 . 7/28/2019
What a nice story! I love the modern fan fiction and loves “American sport movies” and now fan fiction as well!
I like how you blended the original story to make it realistic with college life and how you modernise it.
I don’t understand the comments on campus lifeI studied for a term in Atlanta and it was very similar to what you described.
Thank you!
WadeH chapter 17 . 11/18/2018
I'm loving this story quite a bit. Not even a basketball fan, and I'm still liking it. Love the line about someone so smart being so stupid. My brother used to use almost exactly that same line on me on a regular basis, so it's so fun to see it in a story.
ProfesseurBlinis chapter 33 . 11/7/2018
ooooooow what a sweet ending! I loved your story, thanks so much for sharing it! it's beautifully written and it's very well adapted to today's time!
ILoveHarryPotterForever chapter 33 . 2/7/2018
What a beautiful story! I could not stop reading it... wow! Great job! Absolutely love it!
mangosmum chapter 33 . 1/31/2018
A great adaptation into modern times.
mangosmum chapter 7 . 1/31/2018
Its " we cheerleaders " not " us cheerleaders ". Otherwise good
Guest chapter 33 . 5/16/2017
I NEVER read modern PnP stories. I took a gamble in this one and boy was I glad. Fantastic. I was craving for more elizabeth and darcy conflict and tension especially at the beginning of their acquaintance and Elizabeth seemed to fall for Darcy just a little bit more easily than in cannon but Aside from that I was really diggin this story. Love how you interpreted the events in regency to be at a modern college basketball setting. It shows your vision and skill as a writer. Congrats. Absolutely a delight to read. Thank you.