Reviews for Compulsion (Hearts and Guts)
BlueOcean44 chapter 2 . 11/8/2015
Fantastic! Seriously perfectly what I imagine Robin would be doing/thinking. So good so so good. It hurt my heart. The pull of his love for Regina versus Marian was great... I think that you nailed it. Thanks for this :)
narcolepticbadger chapter 2 . 6/1/2015
Oh man, it was weird to read this and think of 'the good old days' of Outlaw Queen, when things were still relatively simple...

But I digress.

( is being stupid and not letting me review chapter 1 again, so let me take a minute to cover that. Things I wish I'd written, part the first: "in the vanguard of breaking her heart;" "she kisses him and he can barely comprehend it;" "she is so beautiful in despair he is half in love with her already;" and a whole bunch more I missed because it's a pain to keep scrolling up and down the page.)

Back to chapter 2, which I somehow failed to read before.

You have this beautiful way of elevating details to maximum impact, so that they come flying out of nowhere and stagger us: Robin breaking and dismantling the arrow so deliberately, the little snippet about them hiding in the tannery when he can't remember what Marian said but only that she later died. Even the simple aside that thieves know how to search for things that are hidden is gutting, somehow, in your hands.

The play between reality and memory, present and past, really shines here. We can see, even before (perhaps) Robin realizes it himself, that his memories of Marian are thin and distorted whereas all thoughts of Regina are full-bodied, wondrously felt and preserved in almost ridiculous detail. They inform Robin's character so much and brilliantly expose his heart-struggle in so many ways, down to the physical divisions we see on the page.

I really love the build at the end, speeding into inevitability, from his first visit to the crypt to the final collapse and release of it all. It was a great touch to give him that last failed vigil at Marian's side and let us see exactly when he broke.

I feel like this might make very little sense, actually, outside of my brain, so the bottom-line is: this is wonderful. You're wonderful.
wickedshenanigans chapter 2 . 3/16/2015
This was so great, so wonderfully written and so wonderfully thorough in its explorations into Robin's headspace. I love this, because we're so often focused on Regina's side of things, as the show is, and this just delved so deeply and so beautifully into how complicated and terrible and impossible this situation is for him.
"It is nothing like the hot joy that leaps in his heart when Regina smiles, after all, nothing like the shivery contentedness of Regina's company, not even like the rough ache his heart breaks with when he thinks of Regina now - they are incomparable."
Your way with words is phenomenal. I just love all the descriptions here. 'Shivery contentedness'. Bam. Just gorgeous wording.
"He knows he cannot do this and still be a good man.
But then, a good man would've been able to save his wife, a good man would listen to his own better instincts, a good man would not put his own selfish heart above another's life -
Today, he is not a good man."
This. This was absolutely perfect. This helped me so much with understanding and sympathising with Robin's line before he kisses Regina - which I still struggled with until now. I couldn't see where he was coming from, what his point was, I couldn't see how he could mean it in any other way than the slightly problematic and hurtful way it came out, but I also couldn't believe for a second that he MEANT to be hurtful. Your story, and those words in particular just brought it all together for me. You brought me right into Robin's head, and though I felt for him before, I feel even more for him now.
Brilliant work, really. This is artistry.
Teresa Martin chapter 2 . 12/24/2014
Really, really like this. It does suck to be Robin. You got his mindset perfectly, how I imagined it. And it's appropriate that you have Marian a lot. I actually don't see it as adultery since in Robin's world, Marian died. Death did them part
Chocapic31 chapter 2 . 12/23/2014
I finally read the chap :D
And I loooooooooove it !
Can't wait to read the next one ;)

Love xx
scifigrrl chapter 2 . 12/23/2014
I really like your style of writing-it's very unique & modern!
Katie6232 chapter 2 . 12/21/2014
This is so amazing! I love it so-so much. Robin is breaking my heart! And he is very much likable (lovable!) and you've written him beautifully. I do hope that some day you decide to continue it, I would especially like to read your take on 4.11. :)
Guest chapter 2 . 12/21/2014
yes please do another chapter, this was amazingly good and long and perfect!
Danica chapter 2 . 12/21/2014
Good LORD! I don't think I've ever felt for a character in any other fic as much as I feel for Robin in this one. You write his internal struggles so well and omg WHY AM I CRYING. This is your fault!
I may be a tree chapter 2 . 12/20/2014
I think you portrayed the angst perfectly, I'd love to read a final chapter. Well done,
startraveller776 chapter 2 . 12/20/2014
This has been an incredible ride. I appreciate you giving so much weight to Robin's conflicting emotions. They only alluded to it in the series. You should definitely catch up, though. Because I'm certain the events since will inspire a third installment!
Inquisitive dreamer chapter 2 . 12/20/2014
Beautifully emotive and incredibly powerful, loved both chapters.

You should do a few more chapters, on the last few eps, but especially the finale.

Look forward to reading more of what your write.
HuddyJibbsAddict chapter 2 . 12/20/2014
Oh darling you're definitely going to need to write a third chapter once you'll be catched up with the show ! I love this fic, it's so refreshing to have Robin's POV since we got to see so little of it on the show! And i find it all very in character ! It's truly an impossible decision and dilemma he is facing and i very much approve of your approach to his thought process ! Great job!
Guest chapter 2 . 12/20/2014
marian was in a few places (or so it was implied, robin will say something to the effect that she was moved again in a later episode, and then she appears in another location in the mid-season finale).

i have to say that i really like the moment robin questions if he and marian were true loves in the past. loving someone is different than being TRUE loves and i find it interesting to think that they might have just loved each other but NOT been true loves. season 1 painted Snowing as being this very rare thing, to have true love like that, and i HIGHLY doubt that EVERY single married couple in the show was true loves so it's plausible that robin and marian were NOT true loves, but did love each other, you know? i find that really fascinating to speculate on. on top of that, roland doesn't have magic, which gold implied that the products of true love would have the magic that true love creates, so that's another point against robin/marian being true loves in their past. and then there's the fact that one version of the robin hood legend has him married to a queen instead of marian so that's yet another point lol.

thank you for including that thought, it IS something that robin should consider in this whole mess, if marian had been frozen in the ef back then, would his kiss have worked then too? we still don't know HOW she died (in his memories, why he thought she was dead BEFORE the execution (because if he thought she was dead after she'd been captured by the eq then emma screwed up FAR more than we realize)). for all we know robin saw her fall under a curse and tried tlk and it failed then too (it's a slim chance since, if that was the case, he'd KNOW right now that he couldn't use tlk to wake her, but still, maybe he thought the other curse was just too powerful?). this was a very good look at robin's thoughts, a bit lengthy, i had to take breaks because my eyes started to go crosseeyed, but a good chapter :)
startraveller776 chapter 1 . 11/21/2014
Good grief. I'm going to need a vat of ice cream to get over this first chapter. I cried. I CRIED.