Reviews for This Is Not What I Had Planned
Grindeldore chapter 4 . 2/17
Bonjour.
Je suis une fan française et j'adore ton histoire!
Dumbledore est mon personnage préféré à moi aussi.
J'espère que tu écriras de nouveaux chapitres prochainement!
Bonne continuation.
AnnaMT chapter 21 . 11/18/2017
My god! You are a Potter NERD! How do you manage to keep up with and even remember all the interviews?!
TheLittleCatmole chapter 21 . 6/28/2017
Your explanation made sense! Windsbach is certainly out of the way... thanks for you answer! Anyway, i love the dynamic between Dumbledore and Newt (as well as the slight jealousy from Grindelwald). Although, I am wondering if it was a wise decision from Dumbledore to lie to Newt about knowing Grindelwald. After all if Newt is going to be involved in stopping him then the relationship between the two is bound to come up ... (of course, it is very possible that you thought of that and are planning something ...)
Red Furry Demon chapter 20 . 6/14/2017
The opening note had me laughing out loud. It's awesome to see you straying away from the more-or-less clear path detailed in canon, submerging in guesses and predictions.

1924

I love how you portrayed the beginnings of their friendship, the way it evolved out of simple student-teacher relationship. Seems both sweet and plausible.

My guess on the Obscurus's environment was that they prefer cold, deserted setting, kind of like the Dementors, which makes sense to me since Newt always wants the best for his cute fluffy babies. But I like your explanation.

This take on the Obscuri might interest you: archiveofourown works/ 8771002

1926

Jealous Grindelwald! Is it possible for him to be even more cute?! :D I'm still not sure why couldn't he just insist on watching the execution personally - that would be easily explainable, supposing Newt was an extremely dangerous follower of the Dark Lord (because who the hell carries an Obscurus, a hydra (cut-out scene), and a friggin' nundu in their suitcase? Must be quite a terrifying, powerful wizard for sure...).

1928

No. You did not do that. No no no no no. That's not how any of this works.

I understand how someone can get drunk because angst, breakup, death of a loved one, whatever. But there are characters who might do something like this (Al, Abe, even Grindelwald), and then there is Newt, who most certainly wouldn't! He's not that sort of a person. Maybe, mayyyyybe if something horrible happened and he couldn't cope with it (idk, a certain someone massacring his creatures in an act of revenge?) he might break and seek refugee in drinking - but not over a girl! He's still a bit hurt after whatever happened between him and Leta, but the movie shows enough evidence that he mostly got over his love problems, probaly much more than Albus ever did.
So - no. But I'm still happy to see some more of your own ideas, not rooted in canon as strongly as usually.

Btw, Newt was able to finish his education? I was convinced he was really expelled (since Albus wasn't the headmaster that early), only it happened after he passed his OWLs, so he could keep his wand.

Awesome. I'm waiting for more!
TheLittleCatmole chapter 14 . 6/11/2017
While rereading this, I've been wondering: Are you from Germany?
Anyway, I thought it was funny that you used Windsbach of all places for Nurmengard. The town is so tiny that you could walk through it in like 5 min (ok, maybe not quite but you get the picture).
So, why Windsbach?
TheLittleCatmole chapter 20 . 6/11/2017
Can't wait for the next chapter ... !
SilverStreaksofStardust chapter 19 . 5/31/2017
It's time I finally reviewed this story, because honestly it's amazing! You wrote this story so accurately and the relationship fits in canon... like, whoa. You're an awesome writer. Can't wait to read more ;)
Guest chapter 5 . 5/20/2017
i really like your style of writing. what you say sounds really elegant and smooth (i don't know how to put it better)
Red Furry Demon chapter 19 . 4/2/2017
Oh that sly bastard, this is just so cut- er, I mean, so terrifying! I love how this chapter is told almost entirely from Gellert's POV, it shows perfectly that despite his pretty face and overal awesomness he's an evil monster. Although it still makes me want to hug him :)

I pity Credence. An abused child, growing up with such horrible people... now that's an easy target. Especially considering the fact he's practically asking GrindelGraves for affection. Can't wait for the Obscurus to show up, though. Lovely little thing.

I don't whine often, but PLEASE, MORE! (More Gellert, more horrible stuff, more slash, more everything.) :D
Red Furry Demon chapter 18 . 4/2/2017
The scene with young Albus going to eavesdrop was super cute and somewhat heartbreaking at the same time. Abe's protests also seem very in-character (as always) and age-apropriate.
I got an impression that Percival Dumbledore must have been very interested in Dark Arts, though... Oh, the plot bunnies...!

I think you might have overdone Gellert's "you're such a great wizard, Albus!" game a bit. I mean, if Al didn't see through it, it would mean he was more narcisstic than Malfoy and Lockhart together :) I rather liked that part nonetheless; love how you managed to put these little romance details.

And for the last scene you deserve a huuuuge pack of lemon drops, since it was probably the best lemon scene I've read during the last three weeks.
Guest chapter 18 . 3/29/2017
Okay so this is the crazy one who reviewed the other reviewing again now they've actually read the chapters. Just wanted to say if you live like next door to me or something, I'll bake you the best cake you've ever tasted for being such an amazing creature as to write this. I adore you, Albus, Fallon, and most of all: sly, horrid, conniving, blonde, delicious Gellert XD
Guest chapter 18 . 3/27/2017
OH MY FLIPPING GOD I JUST SHOWED UP COS I WATCHED FBAWTFT YESTERDAY AND WANTED A BIT OF GRINDLEDORE TO ERASE THE HORRIBLE OF IMPLICATIONS OF CREDENCE AND GELLERT...FANCY THE CHANCES OH MY. I'm so happy, and I haven't actually read what you've written yet. Gotta go do that. Maybe ill review again when I'm done. *peers suspiciously* Do you deserve it? *taps finger thoughtfully and runs away to read*
Sue Clover chapter 17 . 3/14/2017
Lovely. Ah, the gratuitous use of the shirtless Gellert... Poor Albus.
In regards to revelations from FBaWtFT, what do you think of the fact that Ariana was most likely an obscurial? How does that factor into Gellert's relationship with Albus, his plans for domination? Especially with his obsession with power, and his later plan to use Credence to break the SoS? In retrospect, it's obvious that he knew what to look for in an obscurial, and the only reason he didn't realize it was Credence was that Credence was quite a bit older than obscurials tend to get. Did he have similar plans for Ariana before she was killed? Or did that idea come later? I want to hear your take on it.
Red Furry Demon chapter 17 . 3/5/2017
Short but brilliant. I planned to read the last two chapters after watching Fantastic Beasts, but the temptation was too great. The scene with Aberforth had me chuckling, I love the phrase "to do an unnatural act with a wand" :)

The idea of GG being a Seer is strange, almost to the point of Gary Stu, but that would explain many things, along with that part in DH in which he's talking to Voldemort. Now I want to watch the new movie even more.
Voldy's pink teddy chapter 16 . 1/11/2017
This is wonderful. Thanks for updating after seeing Fantastic Beasts. I liked the rest of the story, too, especially the four part series in which Dumbledore pretends to go to Gellert's side in order to steal the elder wand from him. I've never seen it done like that, before, and I loved it. The only other way I can see Albus getting the best of someone who has an unbeatable wand would be by playing mind games with him, of the sort that he used against Voldemort when he was trying to get the Sorcerer's Stone. Yes, you can get the stone from the mirror of Erised, but only if you don't want to use it. Yes, so I can see him taking down Grindelwald by outsmarting him in some way like that, but I don't know if he would have been thinking straight enough to do that. I really liked the way he did it here, because he wasn't thinking straight; he was desperate, and he still won.

I think that you portrayed Gellert's confusion at the part he may have had in his own demise really well, too. Gellert wouldn't have been able to feel the same way for Dumbledore as he did for him, but there was definitely something there, some connection, and you portrayed that well. If he did feel anything, he wouldn't have been all that aware of it, and wouldn't have understood or prioritized it. That didn't change the fact that he was hurt when Albus 'betrayed' him, kept telling Albus not to make him kill him, and let his guard down enough for Albus to be able to beat him. That was a very fine edge of characterization you did, there, because you're right- to be known as the second darkest wizard of all time behind Voldemort, he had to be pretty damn heartless, and yet, his reluctance to kill Albus felt realistic enough not to be out of character, even though he had just spent the previous chapters making Albus, and the readers, nauseous with his casual justification of genocide. I think you portrayed his fascination with Albus well, by having him call him the fourth deathly hallow. It makes sense that he would have been fascinated with someone his equal in power and intellect. He seems to have an obsession with collecting not only powerful objects, but people, as well, an impression that only solidified for me when I saw Fantastic Beasts. He went through so much trouble to go after the obsurus, and looked so fascinated when Credence was at his most destructive, rather than scared, the way any sane person would be. It kind of gave me the impression that, magpie-like, he goes around collecting powerful people and objects. I think you captured that part of his personality pretty well, even before that movie came out.

I also want to comment on something you said in a previous chapter about the difference between Grindelwald and Voldemort. You said that even though they were both dark wizards, they were very different people, and that might have been one of thereasons that Grindelwald refused to help Voldemort find the elder wand. I think that's interesting, and that you're right. From the books, we know that even most dark wizards consider the creation of Horcruxes to be a step too far, and I can't see Grindelwald respecting someone who was that afraid of death.

Great story!