Reviews for Letters to My Sister
happyisahabit chapter 3 . 11/8/2015
Oh my goodness gracious. A fantastic part 3. I was very touched by B*S's good bye and I anxiously await his development in your follow on. World building gets me every time. I love seeing the basis for people's work because it shows exactly how much care was put into their AU. :)
Eagerly awaiting part 4,
zabeth
happyisahabit chapter 2 . 11/8/2015
My goodness... I wish the chapters were shorter if only so I could address these letters in a bit more detail. All the events surrounding Tsubaki in this chapter were built up so well. The pacing is refreshing and makes me anticipate each letter from her side. It is clear to see the care that went into writing the sisterly bond between Tsu and Maka. I really love this so far.
happyisahabit chapter 1 . 11/8/2015
Ah what a lovely story! I typically shy away from first person stories as I feel an element of self-insertion to them, but this is wonderful. I love the letters. Excited to read the other parts which I shall do now! :)
BendAndCurl chapter 3 . 8/26/2015
I love the world you've both created here; you also matched your style and voices well– it's easy to believe that Maka and Tsu are from the same background/country/culture/time period, and you keep their voices separate enough for us to tell who is talking, but consistent enough that the story flows really smoothly.

I LOVE the little character moments– Tsu's diplomatic way of speaking about B*S in the beginning, even though she found his blue hair very odd, Soul's letter to Tsu with tons of profanity and strikethroughs, the little moments of Maka assuring Tsu that SHE IS NOT IN LOVE with her Wizard, it's all so great.

And your universe here, with witches and Bonding and the two kingdoms, is so rich and well thought-out. Can't wait to see the next installment!
shewantsthewifi chapter 3 . 3/19/2015
this is the coolest thing I have ever read. the concept is incredible, and you guys make so much out of it... I'm super impressed, and really happy with how this turned out! can't wait for the sequel!
shewantsthewifi chapter 1 . 3/17/2015
I love this story! I just finished the first chapter, and I'm so excited to read more!
chaoticlivi chapter 3 . 3/1/2015
This was really cool! I especially loved the epistolary format because it hasn't been done very much in our fandom but it's a REALLY interesting method of storytelling. You've created a neat world here that is compatible with SE canon in many intricate ways. I thought the occasional crossouts and interruptions (especially Soul's contribution to the conversation) added a lot of enjoyable character. I loved the hesitation in Maka's voice as she talked about her Bond with Soul, and how one could feel the love between them despite that hesitation - even though you never had her say it directly.

I also loved the way you two distinguished between Maka's fiery, rash stubbornness and Tsubaki's more cool-headed determination. I think that's a very important distinction you conveyed well through the letters, again without having to state it outright.

The way you finished up with something a tad different for the last letter - that was cool, too. Love it. Congrats on finishing TWO awesome Resbangs!
khaleesimaka chapter 3 . 2/28/2015
This was a very beautiful story that was done with so much love, and it truly did show. I love the way this was done, with ProMa writing the letters for Maka and Ang writing them for Tsubaki. Both of the styles were really great to read, and it felt like the characters were truly writing them. I don't usually read fanfics that are written in first person POV, but this was really nice once I got used to the style. I also loved how you two showed Maka and Tsubaki grow as time went on, and how their friendship continued to grow. That was really nice. This entire story was really well done, and I enjoyed it.
l0chn3ss chapter 3 . 1/27/2015
I read this story about three or two weeks ago but I didn't have the drive or time to make a review until now soo

First off, I just want to express how wonderful the story is in terms of the plot and the pacing! I love how the characters seem to fit their roles incredibly well and how you two managed to create a world where everything ran so smoothy. At first, I thought that you were going to make BlackStar the King and was thinking to myself "erg this will be weird.." but then you two gave him a role that was much much more fitting. I really love all the mentioning of mythology too! (mostly cuz im a complete sucker for myths) I really liked how you came up with the idea of bonding together and the magic that each of the characters have. excellent world building!

How you two managed to write letters to eachother without following a close outline is amazing to me and I think it worked out for the better! Knowing that even amongst you two, you were both kept on the edge of your seat while waiting for the other's response is super cool and it makes the reading experience so much more exciting too. I really love how your writing styles mixed into one huge story and it left a wonderful impression on me.

One of the things that I felt a little disappointed about though was how the ending seemed a little too fast to me and a lot of detail was left out on how the conflict was resolved. I mean, i can see why it had to be that way though, because letters can only tell so far and during those times, they were probably already together so there was no need for letters. But i feel like the resolution was lost on me. I really do like how Maka writes a letter to her dad in the end though, i thought it was a great wrap up idea.

I really liked the interactions between SoMa and TsuStar I thought that the bond between SoMa was particularly strong and that it was a complete joy to read about their interactions and trust. It may be because they are my otp that I felt like TsuStar didn't have much of that love but I also justify it because it's not like either of them could afford to be in love with eachother.

Overall, I really loved this story and I def would reread it or any sequel or omake that you two write for this! Brilliant story telling and style
transmigratory chapter 3 . 1/14/2015
Please forgive me as I'm not great at reviews with useful substance and also I've been sick the past two days.

Anyway, I'm going to drool and ramble on about how great and beautiful your story is, because it is deserved for all the work and care put into it. I took my time reading it because I didn't want it to end.

First of all, these characters are completely true to their natures - Tsubaki's sweetness and yearning to please everyone in the best way she can, Maka's stubborn pride and total devotion to those she loves, Soul's loyalty and Black Star's dedication.

A lot of scenes really tugged at my heart, and this story came at a stage in my life right when I needed it. Tsubaki dealing with the mental loss of her brother is incredibly and beautifully written. I was crying. She wants so bad for him to come back but she knows he won't (another way she remained true to character - how grounded she is even when she does not want to be). There is so much emotional power in the words of these letters. Maka accepting the faults of her father, accepting Soul as her Bonded Wizard despite how badly she had wanted that with Tsubaki. Tsubaki dealing with her own Bonded.

And also what really got me was the character development in these letters. We see Tsubaki and Maka sort of start to lean toward other people who have entered and altered their lives but never lean away from each other. Despite their distance, despite the ways they change as characters and people, the way they bond with each other never changes. It's amazing to watch that progression but never have to worry about these sisters shattering.

I cannot wait for the sequel. I'm sorry this review doesn't have much other than me rambling about how great it is, but it's all true and needed to be said. It is breathtaking.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/14/2015
I love this, and it's so well written. You perfect person you.
fullmetalgrigori chapter 3 . 1/12/2015
I love this story to death. I don't even know where to begin.

The prose is absolutely beautiful and does a brilliant, brilliant job setting up the world this takes place in. The detail in the worldbuilding is extraordinary; I was sucked in immediately and could not stop reading at all! The story was engaging and exciting and I could not wait to find out what happened next :)

The characterization was absolutely spot on and if you hadn't told me, I would never have known that two people had written this together. Your styles meshed so perfectly and were so seamless! The relationship between Maka and Tsubaki was the perfect centerpiece and I love that it was. Their friendship and reliance on each other was so beautiful to read.

I especially enjoyed the first meeting of each couple, and I always looked forward to reading each interaction between them. I am so so excited to hear that you have a sequel planned, and I cannot wait to read more of each pair's adventures!
zxanthe chapter 3 . 1/11/2015
Gosh, this thing was incredible! The world was beautifully imagined and I really enjoyed exploring it through Maka and Tsubaki's letters. I couldn't stop reading; several times I was on the edge of my seat, wondering what was going to happen next. Amazing work! :)
Ba-sing-saying chapter 3 . 12/17/2014
I think other than Resbang itself, this is the coolest fandom thing I've seen yet. I love how you guys collaborated on this and the idea of one person taking on one of the two narrators so that the story isn't just narrated by two different characters, but actually by two different writers, is so freaking cool. Such a great job world-building too- the magic, the society, the gods and even the rules by which they're worshipped- so cool that you guys took the idea so far as to really give the world depth. You nailed everyone's characters too. The beginning of Maka and Soul's partnership is totally different in this story from what it is in canon, where they consciously choose each other rather than making a life or death decision that's essentially forced on them, but it still felt righ and the way they eased into trusting each other was great. Also, I don't think I've ever read anything that put so much emphasis on Maka and Tsubaki's friendship, which obviously your story did just by the way you told it. It was nice seeing that. I just love this so much and I can't wait to read the sequel. I'm sure it'll be awesome.
sassywriterchick chapter 3 . 12/12/2014
OKAY I LOVE THIS STORY SO MUCH! I stayed hooked and interested all the way through, and I seriously cannot WAIT for more! It was so beautifully written that I understood everything that was happening, and it made me see a side of Black Star I had never considered before... I look forward to hearing more about this epic tale!