Reviews for Trump Card
Mantis FA chapter 37 . 3/22/2022
I started writing this review back when I first read the story last July, but got busy with other things and never finished and posted it. Anyway, I loved this one from start to finish; I think it ties with “It Gets Worse” as my favorite of your completed fics. This Taylor is severely OP, of course, but you have a remarkable talent for taking hackneyed bad-fic tropes (e.g. Purity Sue in “Hope” and self-insert in “Security”) and turning them into something fresh and interesting. I think the divergence could be something as small as Sophia still being in closer proximity to the locker when Taylor had her second trigger event in there.

IIRC, Taylor was canonically a double-trigger from the start (which explains why she didn’t have a second trigger at any of several points in canon that could have been trigger events, at the hands of Bakuda, Leviathan, Bonesaw, Coil, Alexandria, or Scion). Second triggers often produce Trump powers (as in the case of Grue), Trump powers are more likely to occur when other capes are nearby, and a second-trigger, Trump implementation of the Queen Administrator would naturally be absurdly powerful, in the same league with Contessa, Eidolon, and Glaistig Uaine. Grue’s Trump power let him hold at least four other powers at a time and use them somewhat less effectively than their original wielders, so I can’t say that a similar second-trigger Trump that grants its user control of only one power at a time but provides a *better* understanding of it than the original user’s is overpowered or out of line with what we’ve seen in canon, especially when it comes from the same shard that could potentially give us Khepri when all the restrictions were removed.

I was a bit sorry to see it end; I wouldn’t have minded another 100K-200K words of Hax shenanigans before she came up with the idea for the Endbringer rifles and thus triggered the climactic encounters with the Simurgh and then Eidolon. Hax taking on the Nine could have been a lot of fun, especially since unlike Jack, she would have been fully conscious of the hidden aspect of his power that protects him from other capes. Hax and Panacea might have been even more efficient at emptying out hospitals than Hope and Panacea – they should each be able to alleviate the other’s exhaustion the moment it started to become a problem, since there’s no reason to assume that Amy’s inability to apply her power to herself would extend to Hax copying it and using it to heal her. As to Dinah, the fact that Hax can apparently evade Thinker headaches by relinquishing the Thinker power, the same way she gets around L33t’s limitation, means she could presumably use it in the same Contessa-lite mode that Coil forced Dinah to use when Crawler attacked his base *at will,* with only a few moments of pain as a consequence; I figure that had a lot to do with how she refined the plan to eliminate Scion with zero casualties.

The picture we get in the epilogue of Taylor’s life outside of her world-saving work is delightful; I love that she ended up in a triune marriage with Uber and L33t, raising the upgraded, fully sapient Alibi as their daughter. I think I might go back and reread the whole thing from the beginning now that it’s been the best part of a year; the present state of the real world is depressing enough that a happy, silly fic like this is just what I need to cheer me up, and at this point I’ve reread “Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality” (my go-to for such moods for the last several years) enough times to know every beat of the story by heart. Here’s hoping to see the “Completed” tag show up on a few more of your long WIPs in the near future; I’ve been reluctant to dive into the incomplete ones, but I definitely want to read the finished versions of “Recoil,” “I, Panacea,” “One More Trigger,” and “Wyvern” one of these days.
wsbenge chapter 37 . 1/9/2022
Read this again. Real enjoyable when authors include the actual destruction of the entire ENEMY.

And it didn't take Canon's centuries.
wsbenge chapter 12 . 1/8/2022
Oh Coil, he doesn't have a clue how much trouble he is in.
Greyff chapter 36 . 11/5/2021
If this is any indication how your Wyvern story is going to go, i'll have to make sure i have a ticket for that crazy train. Good job.
mara.jeyd chapter 37 . 10/12/2021
Oh god, it was such a silly fanfic. It's alright as long as you don't take it seriously, with little to no consequences for anything and the general comedy aura. I never felt that characters were in danger. Formidable villains are acting like clowns and getting curbstomped by Taylor, who's powerful enough to beat Shadow Stalker right in the beginning. Taylor just turned villain with little motivation behind it. She wanted to join New Wave first, didn't like their policy for publicity and decided to join an incompetent criminal group instead, like she was searching for a new job. No moral reprecussions, nothing.
And in the end, when they killed Simurgh, everyone were like - "Oh, cool. Nice job." I'd expected more emotional reaction from killing one of the terrors that was active for decades. Not to mention they just quickly checked around to make sure it wasn't a trick and called it a day. And it's considering they walled the whole city in the original and basically quarantened everyone there for life, fearing Simurgh infliention. But now they just took her defeat for granted, with no precautions.
I'd rate the story as 5/10.
Volusa chapter 37 . 10/6/2021
broken af powers, but still written in a fun way... nice!
H. Automata chapter 37 . 9/5/2021
It figures that as soon as Taylor met Eidolon the entire show was done lol. This was a very satisfying read, and a surprise, too! Seeing Uber and L33t listed as central characters definitely had me uncertain right off the bat, because come on, right? They're Uber and L33t! But the synergy! The creativity! It knew no bounds. What a delight.
H. Automata chapter 20 . 9/4/2021
This fic is an absolute RIOT. The goddamn ZORCH sound effect is, all by itself, a stroke of genius, and I love it. Also get wrecked, Coil
jericho8030 chapter 37 . 9/3/2021
Hax OP and you still kept it interesting and worm consistent. Thank you for completing so many stories.
capctr chapter 37 . 8/25/2021
I have been working my way through your works and I gotta say that THIS story is one of the best on this site-not because it is perfectly written, but because the positivity it is steeped in. You took a dark, gritty, sad tale and turned it into something magical. My one complaint isn’t the last chapter so much as there are volumes of potential left in it.
Please consider a sequel to this story, it would be amazing to see what other wonders Taylor can work, as well as a reconditioned earth bet 1 as well as 2 to divide the population by. The idea of a pristine earth…wow
Barona chapter 37 . 8/25/2021
Enjoyable and intelligently written story. Thanks so much for your effort for us to enjoy it!
Mantis FA chapter 33 . 7/21/2021
I like the Superman reference in this Chapter - Uber's use of thick glasses along with diffident posture and mannerisms is precisely the disguise Kal-El uses to prevent people from noticing the resemblance between his civilian and superhero personae without having to wear a mask. Also, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what Hax can do with samples of Endbringer material. It's a pity they didn't know about Accord's samples, though - they might have been able to cut a deal with him just by honestly explaining what they wanted it for.
Mantis FA chapter 19 . 7/20/2021
Laughing out loud at Contessa making popcorn as she prepares to watch the outcome of Coil's folly. :-D Also at L33t making fun of Coil's notoriety, or lack thereof. That reminded me of a couple of the jokes from the first "Guardians of the Galaxy" - "I'm Starlord." "WHO?"
Mantis FA chapter 18 . 7/20/2021
Interesting indeed; it would be pretty hard to hide what Alibi is, or at least that she's not what she appears to be, once Alec starts trying to Master her. I wonder if copying Alec's power will make Taylor immune to it, or if they'll end up in a stalemate with each one in control of the other's muscles.
Mantis FA chapter 15 . 7/20/2021
Hah, Coil's going to try to snatch Taylor and get her PICA (that's Personality-Integrated Cybernetic Avatar from David Weber's Safehold novels, the closest thing to Alibi I've seen in other fiction) - and I'll bet Alibi has a substantial Brute rating that will make that a lot more "exciting" for his mercs than he or they expect from a teenage girl.

I'm guessing it's the QA's interaction with the L33t shard that allows her that degree of fine control at a distance - I suspect L33t could build something like Alibi, and maybe even include telepathic control, but he wouldn't be able to control it to the level that lets it pass as the original while also performing complex tasks in his own body.
1,536 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »