Reviews for Not Quite As Expected
Sona14 chapter 7 . 5/8
This is very nice written, I had to laught often but there were also a lot of thoughts who ask one to think about what was said and done.

I loved it, how their relationship grew slowly and that they didn't lose their temper or opinion on thinks to the sake of more harmony but continued to argue with each other with the fine difference of respect the other and his beliefs.

It was very authentic and easy to imagine, but I would have loved to read how Legolas or Gimlie thought about their fathers display, it would be an intresting extra ;D

Their characters were clear portrayed and one could see the resemblance with their sons without loosing their respective characteristics.

It's a very good work, thank you,
sincerely Sona
DalekQueen7 chapter 7 . 11/25/2016
This is amazing. They are both so much like their respective sons, yet definitely their own people. I love the dynamic you set up! If you ever write a sequel - please do! This story deserves a sequel. Perhaps Legolas' and Gimli's reactions? - you can be sure I will be the first to read it.
DalekQueen7 chapter 3 . 11/25/2016
Oh my god. Thranduil said taters. I'm going to remember that for forever.
DalekQueen7 chapter 1 . 11/25/2016
This is by far the most original idea for a story I've seen in a while. This whole first chapter with the dialogue then the unexpected image of Gloin and Thranduil sharing a horse (compared to the image of Gimli and Legolas doing the same) had me in hysterics. I am *definitely* looking forward to reading the rest of this, however it turns out.
Laerthel chapter 1 . 7/25/2016
This is BRILLIANT! :) :)
Lotrfn chapter 7 . 5/17/2016
Such a great story. I love the parallel to Legolas and Gimli. I can imagine the two of them coming up with this idea in an attempt to get their fathers to understand their friendship a little better.
LegolaslovesME chapter 1 . 8/19/2015
Holding back laughter with difficulty. This looks like it will be quite a good story.
ElvishKiwis Venerated Ancestor chapter 7 . 7/6/2015
I like the hint that the two friends plan to continue their relationship and travels together.
I guess I understand their reasons for keeping their friendship a secret but I cannot approve of it. I am, despite my love of history, a modern enough girl to believe that all people are equal and ought to start from a place where they give the same respect to each other which they themselves would hope to have were their situations reversed...
actually this is NOT a modern idea. My God thought of it long ago when he made the first man and woman to parent the entire human race, and later when he commanded his people to love their neighbour as they loved themselves, and to show kindness and hospitality to the 'strangers among them remembering the time when they too were strangers in a foreign land. I know Tolkien presented the different races of middle earth as distinct and gave them separate cultures, languages and life-spans and yet they were all humanoid and in theory (and sometimes in practice) they could all marry and produce mixed offspring, even orcs, as horrible as that may seem.
I guess I would be waiting a long time before I found anything but a horror story which depicted any kind of consensual romance between an orc and any other race, despite the fact that one of the probable origens of orc kind he gave was elves who had been tortured and tormented until they became animalistic in behaviour and nature. One would think that if that were so it might be possible for wise and compassionate persons, who cared enough, to draw one back to find the nature he once had...
Perhaps one of the first born from the first age who recognised in an orc the features of a beloved friend or relative and worked hard to undo the damage Morgroth did in his secret tortures.

It is sad to think that Gimi and Legolas do not know the success of their schemes. If you do write some more of this story, at a later date, I would love you to have the two sons actually see the truth and somehow trick their Dad's into giving themselves away. Even if they agree to keep the secret it would still be a fun and happy scene.
ElvishKiwis Venerated Ancestor chapter 4 . 7/5/2015
I am really enjoying this story.
I have to say, if Thranduil and Gloin had been privy to some of the friction between their respective sons in their early days of THEIR acquaintance, they might not have found it as hard to understand the progression from hostility to friendship as they do at this point. I think the similarities, at least on an emotional level, are exactly parallel, although by the time they needed to share a horse they had well learned to respect and love eachother as brother in arms, as well as companions and friends.
I like the way your describe their interaction/arguing here from Bellas' POV. I have been teaching my girls about literary techniques and may well have to use some of yours as examples because you have some really good examples in your story of methods authors use to demonstrate character, relationships, etc, without having to spell it out. The observation Bellas makes here of the thoughtful looks Thranduil and Gloin periodically got, interspersed with much angry body language, is a perfect example. I love it.
I am sorry for not reviewing each chapter but my time is very short.
Thank you for this.
sailor68 chapter 7 . 3/23/2015
Great story, well done!
MiaulinK chapter 7 . 3/14/2015
Your story is hilarious! And you used good grammar. Keep it up!
ziggy3 chapter 5 . 2/28/2015
I have read this twice and enjoyed it even more second time around. Love the bickering as they ride off! And Brongalad is a wonderful addition.
ethuil chapter 7 . 2/19/2015
aww what a great ending! would love to read more though, if you are planning to continue this!
Arya chapter 4 . 2/17/2015
Please hurrybup!
feathered moon wings chapter 7 . 2/19/2015
Is it over already? Oh nooo D: I thought it was going to be so much longer haha.
But any way, I loved your story! it was completely marvellous!
I really REALLY loved their interactions between one an other, specially when the where sneaky little bitches and decided to play their sons, hahaha.
God! But I will miss them as they miss each other.
But really, EXELENT STORY. Congrats my friend :D