Reviews for Casualty Notification
Aquatic-Idealist chapter 1 . 6/1/2015
I wonder how this scene would play out if Zelnick had sold slaves to the Druuge. As it stands now, it is chilling and thoughtful.

"... They didn't question that, and they had neither regret nor mercy nor even pity. They very fact that you feel like this, that's what makes you, and humans in general, different from Ur-Quan."

Oh really? When humans enslaved the Androsynth for decades and failed to question what they were doing, when humans saw the Androsynth as simply a threat and an enemy, pulverizing their colonies with nary a thought during the events of Star Control 1, can one really say that Humans were that much more enlightened than the Ur-Quan, both Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah, who did what they did as a means of self-preservation?

To his credit, Hayes and others may have been somewhat remorseful when they faced the Androsynth, but by then it was too little too late. Now, any Cruisers who flew beyond the Shield would expect to fire upon and slay Androsynth as well as the other Hierarchy races, as Zelnick claimed that it wouldn't be possible to reason with neither Vux nor Androsynth.

Your brief snippet of Talanna, like other reviewers have noted, was quite thoughtful indeed. She should have an alien mindset.

Other than my little pro-Androsynth rant, I truly enjoyed your piece. Thanks for writing this!
Daenerys chapter 1 . 2/20/2015
Oh Captain...:(
I usually picture the Captain as a sort of impulsive kid, so it's really different to see him as a philosopher. And I like the touch where Talana has a truly alien mindset that still rings true for the Syreen instead of being a hodgepodge of sexy stereotypes.
JL chapter 1 . 2/16/2015
Wow. That was really good. Thank you for revealing an insight into Zelnick that we otherwise wouldn't have seen.