Reviews for Phantom pain
Laerthel chapter 1 . 1/20/2015
This is one of my favorite Maedhros stories I've read so far. Really... because it's so extremely significant. I had the impression that here, he was trying to patch the fragments of his personality through other's opinion on him, because he failed (or dared not, or simply refused) to see and understand what he had become. Which is likely, I think.
"Aracáno"-a wonderful name I totally forgot about. Thanks for using it, and thus reminding me! :)
To tell the truth, this one-shot filled my mind with thoughts at first read but now I seem kind of incapable to write them all... I liked the details, the brackets, all very important... (sometimes, maybe, the most important? Is this some kind of reverse psychology? :D), and the ability to admit failure, as one of the most notable differences between Feanáro and Nelyafinwe...
Three thoughts of the, like, 163451453144 this story had brought in my mind:
1: About Maitimo and Findekáno: you're very-very brave, that part definitely has a hint (well... a ...load of slash for the ones who keep seeing it everywhere. Good for them... for me, it seemed an unexpected glint of a beautiful BROTHERLY love. Refreshing).
2: The time when he tried to "caress soft skin gently..." broke my heart :(
3: The title is FANTASTIC, I've read a lot about phantom pain sensations before, it keeps my mind occupied... So thank you for sharing this!

And it's an honour to inspire such things! :) Truly.
Yuki Suou chapter 1 . 1/11/2015
Yeah, we've read about Phantom Limb experience *nod nod*. This has beautifully captured Maedhros' emotions.
kim-onka chapter 1 . 1/11/2015
Who, me? :) You're welcome (and thanks for the publicity, haha.)

Interesting. Nelyo's perception of himself is very grim indeed, even cruel, and how others see him - well, I'm probably overthinking it, but to me it sounds like it's actually how he thinks others see him - these two perceptions are opposite extremes and neither appears full...

I like the part with different names, but I'm puzzled at your choice because I've always considered his father-name to be the most kingly (dynastic!) one and the one he could rule under. It's also the one not used in his Sindarin name, so presumably the one he stops using (assuming he "loses" one).

Another thing I like is the rather sad portrayal of Nelyo's "new identity" as very war-oriented, like when he tries to caress a woman with his right hand because that only could have had a place in his former life. And my favourite part is the one that highlights the hold Feanor still has on Maedhros, the way he finds peace in war because it makes him praiseworthy in his father's eyes, and the double disappointment he is to Feanor in his search for the children.

And the closing line is heart-wrenching.

Also, while not a part of the fic, the idea that the twins allowed Nelyo to feel pure, unsoiled love again is touching.
Quantumphysica chapter 1 . 1/10/2015
Poignant and painful… You characterized Maedhros exactly as I always picture him. This was heartbreaking, especially the part where he claims to find peace only when he feels his father approves of him. It's just so sad…
Certh chapter 1 . 1/10/2015
Quite profound. It really sums up Maedhros's pain - both physical and emotional - and gives wonderful insight into his mindset. After such an experience it's only natural he would go through changes.