Reviews for Man of War
ObsessedRomantic chapter 1 . 3/20/2006
This is good good stuff sir! yeah. It makes total sense to me that the Terran Federation has Special Ops/wetwork troopers, after all why wouldn't they? I can see why the old master never mentioned such things after all, respect to the man but he WAS navy after all, then too his novel was written BEFORE such groups were common knowlege so I can see how he overlooked this detail. anyway the other reviers were right. the ending DOES feel a tad rushed however I've no room to talk, my stories tend to be a little too brief as well. anyway long story short you've got lots more good than bad here.

YOurs Truly Joanne Faulkner SFC U.S. Army (Retired)
OrionHR chapter 2 . 11/15/2004
Well, kudos to you Triptych. A handsomely written sequal to the BOOK of ST (as opposed to the movie or the cartoon). You wrote very much in the style that Heinlein did, without using harsh language. And the first-person perspective is a nice touch.

Criticisms: The ending still feels a little rushed, but its not beyond reason. The end of the book felt a little rushed, so it could be kind of keeping in tradition *winks at you*.

I applaud how you wrote the combat scenes. The character wasn't a vital part of them, and when things move fast like that you don't always have a good memory of events like that. Even in non-combat situations, fast moving events leave patchy memories. I know this because thinking of marching band competitions, I have hazy memories of what happened.

I hope you'll write more Starship Troopers stories. Last comment: "To the everlasting glory of the infantry..."
Typewriter King chapter 2 . 10/17/2004
After reading Sentinel’s fic, I became intrigued enough by Henlein fiction to look at the others. So what do I think? I told him he was good, and I must say, you’re on par with him. I don’t feel your ending was as bad as the other reviewers think, but it did leave something to be desired.

I notice you write mechwarrior. Hmm, maybe I should tell my pal Viscount about you. Beware the Metal Viscount!
Hooligan chapter 1 . 9/7/2004
I read Starship Troopers [the first time] around 25 years ago. Later, after being in the Army for a while, I realized the genius behind Heinlein. He TALKED like a grunt, granted a good storytelling grunt, but the updated yet similar/familiar and unique slang/speech of soldiers was great. I think you come very close to the same thing here, it sounds alot like someone who has 'been there, done that' trying to tell a story to someone who has not. Great job, I'll be looking for your handle later to see what other things you've come up with.

" If you're going through Hell...KEEP GOING!" "Airborne!"
bcampo chapter 1 . 12/29/2003
I liked this a lot. I've read the book several times and this seems pretty close to the style of the original. It's a good story but it could use some fleshing out. The ending still feels very rushed. All in all, good story, it makes me want to go read the book again:)
WBH21C chapter 2 . 11/28/2003
GREAT!
CNCfreak chapter 2 . 8/8/2003
...wow... this is the first Statship troopers fic based on the book that ive read make many more now K?
Dark Slayer chapter 1 . 5/31/2003
WOW! you're great. I think that you have Heinlein's style, but if you'll notice he never used cuss word Except Darn and Damn [he only used Damn once.]O I'm about to vgo on a drop. I'm in the capsule [Snoring] LOL
Marshall James Raynor chapter 2 . 3/23/2003
M interesting plot and good writing, please keep it up!
Mbwun chapter 1 . 2/3/2003
A very good job was done of getting into the style that RAH established in the original Starship Troopers. Your ending was a bit rushed, though, and I don't think that you explained enough why the Terran Federation would immediately reject the Bugs' plea for a negotiated peace. I mean, it can't be a morally easy thing to just exterminate an entire race of thinking beings, and the Bugs had a valid offer for a lasting peace. But I loved it! To the everlasting glory of the infantry!
REMF rear-echelon motherfucker chapter 1 . 2/3/2003
are real brothers-in-arms story: its them or us. Your favourite movie should be: BLACK HAWK DOWN.
Triptych chapter 2 . 12/6/2002
Yes youre right, I kinda rushed the ending but I have revised it now. Thanks for your comments.
ShootThemLater chapter 2 . 12/1/2002
I enjoyed reading that, so thank you! It was fairly well written, and to an extent even conjured similar atmosphere to Heinlein's original. It's been at least three years since I read 'Troopers', though, and I watched the film recently, so some of my thoughts may be confused as to the accuracy of your references, but I'm pretty sure you got most of it right, if not all.

I think the reference to the S.A.S. / Green Berets is pretty silly. They would have been consigned to the annals of history long before your main character's father was even born (working from knowledge of Heinlein's briefly-mentioned history of world governments (failed or not). Also, the Federation is all-encompassing, so just mentioning two famous British/American units is a bit off too. Even if, technically, they are two of the very best. ;)

It seems like you got bored with the story towards the end. The fascinating idea of a bug/human hybrid research facility is barely explored, and in just a few paragraphs we are told that the armour is recovered and some people are killed (we should have seen that, not jsut been told that it happened!), and all of a sudden, the Captain is there and the planet is shortly thereafter nova bombed. I know how it feels to want to finish a story that you're bored with, but still - it's really, really obvious here!

That aside, as I said, I enjoyed reading this, so thank you very much, and keep up the good work!