Reviews for The Truth of Ugliness
GibberingGhoul chapter 1 . 6/9/2011
I originally spotted this on Henneth Annun, and frankly, this was one twisted read (in a good way). I'm truly a sucker for stories regarding what makes a person a monster, savage, or beast versus something fairer. However, what I like most about this story is the glimpse the reader gets into First Age Orcs. And it sounds like Elves were still recognisable, despite their - to put it lightly - tattered appearance, which makes their existence all the more horrible. This is definitely one story that I will recommend.
gimbatash chapter 1 . 9/24/2005
I was absotutely enthralled by this piece. I myself have often pondered the process of elves changing into orcs and to read your take on this wrongly overlooked aspect of elvish history was just increadible. This is one of (if not the most) deep and profoundly intellegent stories on this site. Keep up the good work!
TheDeathChamber chapter 1 . 7/9/2005
Food for thought. I always did wonder how the first elves became orcs. Very profound. So...twisted and-... Just amazingly thoughtful. Lovely.
zerah chapter 1 . 3/30/2005
that was just so incredibly profound. i'm not certain what to make of it.

i see your logic, the sense and yes, beauty is a very subjective thinbg.

just read keats. you know, that poem, 'ode to a grecian urn', something like that. it says truth is beauty, that's the message. it's a little creepy now isn't it?
Gil-dae chapter 1 . 1/24/2004
...amazing...what else should I say? I've always pondered what exactly could have turned the fair elves into orcs, and this explanation is perfect. And the way you wrote it was amazing too.
I loved it, even though it was twisted and sad and...very amazing.
ren chapter 1 . 5/23/2003
this is very well done. wow.
Alisha B chapter 1 . 1/29/2003
Wow... absolutely wonderful. This one is going on my favorites list. I just finished reading the Silmarillion and decided to take a look at some of the fanfiction! Yours is the first I've gotten a chance to read, and it's so nicely done. Very emotional and completely believable that beauty could be used to corrupt the Elves... Once again, brillant.

Oh! and to Albinofrog88, it says (on page 47 in my book)

"But of those unhappy ones who were ensnared by Melkor little is known of a certainty...all of those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor...were put there in prison, and by the slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves..."

Just thought I'd let you know. :-)
Emerald Queen chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
I wouldn't have eaten the meat.

This is a r-e-a-l-l-y emotional fic. Not sob-sniff type emotional, but I mean hey, wow. It's emotional and emotionLESS which is unfair because my tiny brain can't take the pressure of trying to understand it. ARGH! I'm blabbering again.

I feel sorry for Nellin, but at the same time he's a fool for believing the lies.

-x-x-EMQU-x-x-
albinofrog88 chapter 1 . 12/30/2002
Although, in the books (as far as I know but I haven't read The Simirallian yet or unfinished tales) Tolkien doesn't come right out and say orks were once elves, in the movie it does though so maybe it is in one of the books. Anyways I loved this story. It offered explanation where there was none.
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 12/19/2002
Wow, twisted.
silenced lambs chapter 1 . 12/9/2002
That was really really really good!
Claudi007 chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Holy crap... this was horrible and disturbing and evil and so perfectly done. Now I'm not sure whether I want to read it again or go far away and think happy thoughts until the images are forgotten. Yeah. Wow.
Ilmare2 chapter 1 . 12/5/2002
That was outstanding, very moving and thought-provoking to say the least. I too have often wondered what Melkor must have done to the captured Elves to make them into the first orcs and you have portrayed this part of history brilliantly. It actually gave me chills reading it! The fear, torture and mind games seem very real! Good job!
Mouse chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
Not much to add to the other reviews except another *shiver*. Melkor's "logic" is frighteningly convincing. The scene with the female elf that Nellin tortures is particularly chilling.

Extremely well done.